How about this...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:D

While what you say is true, 0.707 = 1/2 octave bandwidth [BW] also, so was pointing out that WRT tuning a TH, this is a good default tuning to start at if you don't know how to calculate an optimized alignment from the get-go [beginning].

Octive calculations:

Fh = Fl*2^n

Fl = Fh/2^n

n = ln[Fh/Fl]/ln[2]

where:

Fh = upper frequency

Fl = lower frequency, or the XO point

n = octave spread

ln[2] = 0.6931

While what you say is true, 0.707 = 1/2 octave bandwidth [BW] also, so was pointing out that WRT tuning a TH, this is a good default tuning to start at if you don't know how to calculate an optimized alignment from the get-go [beginning].

Octive calculations:

Fh = Fl*2^n

Fl = Fh/2^n

n = ln[Fh/Fl]/ln[2]

where:

Fh = upper frequency

Fl = lower frequency, or the XO point

n = octave spread

ln[2] = 0.6931
Ah thanks bro... :)

I'm almost happy with the T-TQWT so that I needn't worry 'bout any simming. :D

BTW, do you think 20hz fs like car audio drivers are better for TH (or other QW builds) than pro?

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Understood, but there's maybe a bunch in the 4200+ folks that's cruised through here already that might be interested and/or benefit from my postings. ;)

Driver selection is always about the needs of the app, so mobile audio subs certainly is sometimes what's best for other apps. Indeed! Don't know if it's still true, but there is/was some really powerful prosound subs using mobile audio drivers.

Here's a custom with 40 of them: THE MATTERHORN | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

You're welcome!

Understood, but there's maybe a bunch in the 4200+ folks that's cruised through here already that might be interested and/or benefit from my postings. ;)
Obviously... :)

Driver selection is always about the needs of the app, so mobile audio subs certainly is sometimes what's best for other apps. Indeed! Don't know if it's still true, but there is/was some really powerful prosound subs using mobile audio drivers.
I was talking about the FS however, since my "app" needs 20hz or even lower (as part of the main project's goal to achieve the full range of 20hz-20khz) and I couldn't find any pa driver below 30hz from our country (B&C being the only genuine brand available) but many low-watt (since the T-TQWT is highly efficient) car audio are 18hz, so was thinking if it'd be much easier to hit 20hz with an inherently low FS driver than letting the T-TQWT itself do that all alone (almost hit 20hz @ 110db with the 40hz 12TBX100 as "BP1Fanatic"s test result shows). :confused:

Mr. Danley is undeniably one of the smartest audio thinkers ever, SYNERGY HORN is the ultimate proof imo, transmitting a bandwidth from below 100hz to above 10khz via a single horn by time alignment, how smart thinking! :cool:

I was talking about the FS however

OK, right, prosound is generally more about the mid-bass, so ~30 Hz tuned a 1/2 octave higher [~42 Hz] with relatively low Xmax has been the norm for many decades to get high SPL at low distortion.

Do this for your 20 Hz though and you'll need a very expensive ~14 Hz monster, so where to 'draw the line' for HIFI/HT apps?

Again:
Note that as a ROT, optimized TH are tuned to ~ 0.707 - 0.81x Fs.

For 20 Hz then, normally choose a driver with an Fs > 20 Hz based on this range.

So you're 'mostly' thinking rightly regardless of the box loading type, but again:
Driver selection is always about the needs of the app
;)

OK, right, prosound is generally more about the mid-bass, so ~30 Hz tuned a 1/2 octave higher [~42 Hz] with relatively low Xmax has been the norm for many decades to get high SPL at low distortion.

Do this for your 20 Hz though and you'll need a very expensive ~14 Hz monster, so where to 'draw the line' for HIFI/HT apps?
But, where to find a 14hz monster (I don't know)...?

Again:
Note that as a ROT, optimized TH are tuned to ~ 0.707 - 0.81x Fs.
For 20 Hz then, normally choose a driver with an Fs > 20 Hz based on this range.
How about this...?

INFINITY KAPPA 122.7W:
12", 350w, 3" vc, 20.6hz fs, .456 qts, 12mm xmax

So you're 'mostly' thinking rightly regardless of the box loading type, but again:
Driver selection is always about the needs of the app
;)
Okay, you simply mean as the T-TQWT would almost bring me that '"20hz" with 12TBX100 I needn't worry then right...?

Last edited:
That's the point! You'd have to get someone to make you a custom. That, or make an array of the 20 Hz/whatever Fs drivers to get enough power handling to tune them this low same as is done in prosound apps. Gets big/expensive pretty quick.

The Infinity is close, though doubt its Fs and Qes are as low as listed, so wouldn't be my first choice unless there's no other options.

No, the 12TBX100 has a published 42 Hz, so only good down to ~30 Hz at most and even then will be pretty power limited, but if you only need ~115 dB/m/1pi to 80 Hz XO, then here's a ~compact 50 W DTS TH [1/4 WL stubbed]:

GM

Attachments

• 12TBX100_20HzDTS.txt
    1 KB · Views: 34
That's the point! You'd have to get someone to make you a custom. That, or make an array of the 20 Hz/whatever Fs drivers to get enough power handling to tune them this low same as is done in prosound apps. Gets big/expensive pretty quick.
Oh, you mean a "custom" (and monstrous as you said) low-freq transducer??? Dude, we have AUDIO sellers asking us what T/S of a driver is, so finding a maker of drivers is like daydreaming... :D

Nah, no idea for an array, cost would obviously be sky-high (besides, it's kinda PRO, seems not elegant on HIFI/HT?). :eek:

The Infinity is close, though doubt its Fs and Qes are as low as listed, so wouldn't be my first choice unless there's no other options.
I was also doubtful of that, somewhere they publish the same KAPPA 122.7 with a 19+ fs and I gotta know the 20+ fs from a catalogue found online, something fishy. :rolleyes:

As stated in one of my replies, these 3 (the other 2 being KAPPA PERFECT 12 VQ and REFERENCE 1262W) were the only car audio drivers to claim around 20hz fs "nominally", very few choices in our country, no other genuine than INFINITY. :(

No, the 12TBX100 has a published 42 Hz, so only good down to ~30 Hz at most and even then will be pretty power limited, but if you only need ~115 dB/m/1pi to 80 Hz XO, then here's a ~compact 50 W DTS TH [1/4 WL stubbed]:
But, while you're theoretically right on the 12TBX100's 42hz fs, here's the test result of T-TQWT I was talking about for your reference, 325w/~19hz/110db/2pi (as I understood and which is why I was really happy with 12TBX100 at first but was a little surprised to know its 42hz fs which then led me to look for lower fs drivers like car audio)...? :confused:

Thus, I'd be glad to see this result in reality at 8ft distance and I can apply more power if necessary (CREST AUDIO 1000w in mind) plus can xo @ 60hz (HARMAN DBX active 3-way in mind)... :)

Attachments

• B&C 12TBX100 T-TQWT.jpg
    B&C 12TBX100 T-TQWT.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
finding a maker of drivers is like daydreaming...

cost would obviously be sky-high...not elegant

I can apply more power if necessary

They're out there.........

Yes, big SPL numbers down low = big bucks and/or size. As for elegant, they don't need to be in sight.

Well, he used Xvar instead of Xmax and due to him inputting a voltage for power it doesn't show that it runs out of Xvar at ~ 80 W if you the use HR's Wizard or just input it in the Acoustical Power window......... Not many 'free lunches' in audio design, so wasting $$ on a high power amp.

Well, it does it as a 'one note' peak and has an increasingly higher peak rating above ~50 Hz, but in the strictest sense it's only a ~45 W wide band alignment with some limited dynamic headroom, so find this sort rating very misleading without showing where its Xmax is exceeded and by how much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.