Spreadsheet for Folded Horn Layouts...

Yes, this is a good one and well known ^^

Ill get the other one changed. Martin’s is public and the other is just new and might need a few admin tweaks to get access for all. I think it was to deter the
social media plague of trolling, cyber bullies, ads, etc. to keep it friendly to AKL audio types, , not as rigid and grounded as the other which isnt as open to experiments or spitballing or car audio, pro audio, and the many questions by newbies, explorers, non professionals with a deep curiousity who would otherwise be intimidated and never ask...or simply dont have the formal semantics down to do so..

Martins work is the spine. Theres 4 limbs and a head attached to it that pivot from it. :)

Thank you :)

Yes, this is a good one and well known ^^

Ill get the other one changed. Martin’s is public and the other is just new and might need a few admin tweaks to get access for all. I think it was to deter the
social media plague of trolling, cyber bullies, ads, etc. to keep it friendly to AKL audio types, , not as rigid and grounded as the other which isnt as open to experiments or spitballing or car audio, pro audio, and the many questions by newbies, explorers, non professionals with a deep curiousity who would otherwise be intimidated and never ask...or simply dont have the formal semantics down to do so..

Martins work is the spine. Theres 4 limbs and a head attached to it that pivot from it. :)

Martin King's detailed answers to my questions in the group are my basis of understanding speakers.

I would be a fish outta water and no compass if not for martin.

If not for him id not even ever built a speaker or wanted to. But the man cant be asked to solve every riddle and is happy to admit that when something comes up that warrants that answer. but more recently hes not too put off with the idea of curiousity and sharing his own. Thats when he catapulted my scope of curious instead of just provide ‘answers’ to it. Ive not looked back, nor can I see or explain where im going, but in the moment he too shared his ‘project’ i knew at least he was paying attention to mine and never discouraged the course, only promoted certain points if he felt they were significant or worthy.

A person hasnt learned or respected their teachers efforts until the point they are filled up with enough knowlege and pieces to then question him/her. that might be uncomfortable or akward, but its also the only way to ever become as knowledgable as the teacher? Cant pick a mans brain forever. It must be learned not put in a filing cabinet and soon forgotten. And learning how to do everything perfect is the quickest way to know nothing. A book knows nothing the author didnt write. Mistakes are knowledge, everything else is repeating. I built 3 perfect speakers using Martin.

I then built two dozen mistakes that were glorious steps to a stairway that doesnt seem to have a direction toward down or up. Only sideways?

Last edited:
BOXPLAN-PARAH - this can be used to design a simple sealed horn with a parabolic expansion path. Only one panel is mounted at an angle, making this a simple build.

If you want to build something based on this plan, I will make 3D and 2D-drawings for it if it is based on a hifi driver or a discontinued pro driver. Just PM me and start a new thread when you have committed to building.

I have a python script which generates the CAD files. It is very easy for me to adapt it to new designs. Don't hesitate to ask me.

This is my original thread: JBL 2226H 30 hz "horn" i built, pictures are at the end. Dropbox kidnapped my original pictures.

This is the current JBL 2226 build thread: The return of the JBL 2226H parabolic horn

Mårten

BOXPLAN-PARAC2E - this BOXPLAN workbook can be used to design Paraflex "C2E" enclosures.

Attachments

• 2021-02-27 (2).png
    2021-02-27 (2).png
    95.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 2021-02-27 (3).png
    2021-02-27 (3).png
    17.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 2021-02-27 (4).png
    2021-02-27 (4).png
    12.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 2021-02-27 (5).png
    2021-02-27 (5).png
    26.2 KB · Views: 211
Brian,

Using your spreadsheet and i think i am now satisfied with what i see in Excel and in Hornresp sim. This is what i see in the guides section:

BZj1gqu.png

Is this how it supposed to look with zeroes in the left bottom corner?

And another question - what is the supposed thickness of the material? I am deducing it is about 15cm for internal walls and 2.5cm for external? Is it possible to change it in the spreadsheet?

I am currently using OTHORN sheet.

P.S. Thank you a lot for such a tool. In no way I could fold the horn if not with this tool.

Those "zeroes" just mean that (1) you're looking at the schematic on the "Guides" sheet and (2) you haven't selected the "Guides" option on the "Design" sheet in the workbook.

You can change the thickness of each panel (in cm) on the "Design" sheet in the workbook, in the "Horn Design" section. It's the zeroes on the "Design" sheet that you have to worry about. All the figures in red should be zero, or the design is not optimized.

I'll have to give that workbook another look when I have some time. I see a few things in it that can be improved.

Brian,

In the OTHORN sheet, I am using driver import and hornresp sim output. I noticed, that when i import a driver and import the sim back to HornResp, the parameters of the driver change. An example:

Original parameters of the driver:

iCdpqHb.png

The same driver imported to the spreadsheet and then reimported along with the sim from spreadsheet:

rBghF8L.png

Aside from driver parameters, the boxplan record has Rg set to 3,64. Why that number?

Now, that IS weird.

I just checked my copy of the BOXPLAN-OTHORN workbook, and I'm not seeing the same error in the import routine. Are you using the latest version of Hornresp? On the "Design" sheet in the workbook, do you have the Export format set to "BOXPLAN" ? If so, share screenshots of the "Driver" sheet and the "Design" sheet - I'll see if I can replicate the error.

BTW, you're using an older version of the BOXPLAN-OTHORN workbook. The latest version is v3.2. Actually 3.3 - I found another minor error which I just corrected (sigh).

Last edited: