B&K ST-202 Plus :: hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, so R (bad) channel measures 0.6 ohm from point #2 to pos rail on PS cap. However, I just get a 00.00 ohm reading on the L channel pos rail of PS cap ... of course, the black probe is still on point #2 on R channel.

I have to get ready for work, so will be offline for an hour or two. I can get some measurements done at lunch. I'm two hours behind you KC.

Matt

If this becomes a permanent mod, I'll find some ring terminal connectors so that the screw is flat with full contact ... resistors can be soldered to the tabs.

Attachments

• L_ps_resistor.jpg
    L_ps_resistor.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 57
  • R_ps_resistor.jpg
    R_ps_resistor.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The resistors look good. Now with the resistor leads you've got an easy spot to clip your negative side alligator when you need to attach it to ground.

I'm not certain what you were measuring when you listed 00.00ohms in the good channel reading in your last post? Did you measure point #2 on the good channel to PS + DC rail?

Measuring ohm value across point #2 and Pos rail on PS board for L channel has different behavior on DMM.

The bad channel (R) is quick to rest on it's value. But the L channel starts off around 1.5k ohms and goes up around 27k ohms and moves down a little and up ... I can't get it to rest on a "final" value. But it is under 1 ohm.

Based on the difference in getting a reading, there is something different (as we know) between both channels.

If we go back and think about the fact that when I took the amp into the tech, both channels were working and I had wonderful sound. I just wanted it biased. I personally think that one of two things happened. If I'm generous in my attitude ... something in the R channel failed during his testing. If I'm cynical, I'd say he didn't know what he was doing, or slipped and did something to cause the problem. The only other thing I can think of is that after my last time of listening to the amp, and before taking to him, he told me to pull the fuses, inspect and put back in, even though I was getting shorting/sparking when putting fuses back, since the caps were holding a charge.

I had a similar experience while reinstalling a fuse after an adjustment that led to the demise of a well matched set of inputs. Those big caps can hold a charge for quite some time.
The result was an increase in dc offset to a point where the amp needs replacement parts.

A 68k resistor across the terminals of the large caps is a good way to reduce the chances of making these mistakes.

That Rising resistance reading implies capacitive charging in the good Channel and doesn't make sense because it should be a direct short measuring less than 1 ohm from the positive dc rail to point #2 on either board.

You put all 4 fuses back in the PS board correct?
Is the wire harness plug connected for both channels?

Okay I believe the red wire going in the bottom of the CHANNEL board from the PS BOARD is the + DC rail volts. Leaving your ground clip in the same location as before use your red probe to measure where the red wire enters at the bottom of the channel board. How mamy ohms do you have here? If its more than a few ohms pull the 3 pin power plug apart for that channel and measure the pin that the red wire goes to on the side going to the PS board. How many ohms?

Do you see what it is we're doing here? Effectively there should be a direct connection between the plus DC rail screw and point #2 on both channel boards. Imagine the voltage travels from the + DC rail screw through the fuse out the red wire through the 3 pin connector to the channel board and is then distributed to a few different components on the channel board. If you measure between any two points in that pathway you should measure less than an ohm if its connected properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.