B&K ST-202 Plus :: hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Must be. I pulled the fuse, put back in, and got a good measurement. Measured the other channel to double check, and good there. Then back to the R channel and goofy values again. Checked the solder points (2) on the back end of the fuse holder and same goofy values. So there has to be something around, or on those points.

The only way I can get a good look is unscrew/remove the board so I can look closely. If it looks good, I may reflow solder?

I also swapped fuses just in case, and it's not the fuse.

Okay you should be good then. Once you remove the DBT recheck the voltage. I recommend you move up to at least 85vdc caps. Unfortunately the selection of 85v caps is slim and you'll prob have to get 100v rated caps for replacements.

Your variac must be putting out more than 120vac. You might want to check that.

My variac is Chinese ... Model No 48-1205, max 500VA, Output: 0-120V AC 60Hz ... it's not a quality model, but was what I could afford at the time.

No variac. No DBT. Plugged into my surge protect strip with my other gear.

R = 77.3vdc
L = -77.1vdc

Bias is probably off on BOTH channels. However, with your blessing, I'll connect to test speakers and see if I get sound. I should.

If all goes well, I am guessing that it's time to order caps (ps, electrolytic, and other types as well??)

Then I could use advice on if I need to buy/build the DIY Audio Store Kit (soft start & protection) ... and if so, I need to figure out where it will mount ... and if I'm getting one for each channel. If I need two, I may need to wait a little while since outfitting those boards adds cost I wasn't anticipating.

Any other advice on updates to make the amp safe? I don't run cheap speakers, so I don't want to ruin any.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.