Krell KSA 50 PCB

Hi, I built a Krell clone several years ago, it is still in use today.
I used Delta Audio boards that were modified to run on +-25V rails.
Duel mono construction throughout with separate supplies for the front end, triple plastic output stage.
I chose lower voltage rails to make heat dissipation more manageable with passive heat sinks. Even so with 1.6A bias the sinks still run quite hot ( about 50C ) Sinks measure 400 x 130 x 40 mm, dissipating about 70W per channel .
Heat management is the biggest problem when building class A.
Best Regards
Alan

Attachments

• P1030334 email.jpg
    P1030334 email.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 354
  • P1030284 email.jpg
    P1030284 email.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 347
  • P1030640 email.jpg
    P1030640 email.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 358
Hi, I built a Krell clone several years ago, it is still in use today.
I used Delta Audio boards that were modified to run on +-25V rails.
Duel mono construction throughout with separate supplies for the front end, triple plastic output stage.
I chose lower voltage rails to make heat dissipation more manageable with passive heat sinks. Even so with 1.6A bias the sinks still run quite hot ( about 50C ) Sinks measure 400 x 130 x 40 mm, dissipating about 70W per channel .
Heat management is the biggest problem when building class A.
Best Regards
Alan

Thats a really nice looking amp well done.
I am planning on using 2 x 32v 500va transformer for 2 mono blocks should give me 48v DC.

Hi, question please, I am confused as to whether the Delta / Pink Mouse boards are the Mk1 or Mk2 version of the KSA50 ? Does the Mk2 version have the mosfet CCS ? I have seen KSA50 pcb's on the internet that state they are Mk2 and they have the fet CCS. So as I said I'm confused. Can someone clarify this for me?
Best Regards
Alan

Thanks Pink, yes it was a good project to build and certainly sounds good, still in use today. I built mine as a 25w version so I could use passive cooling. Now I've got an itch to build a higher output class A, and I don't know whether to build another Krell clone , or is there anything appreciably better?
Best Regards
Alan

Alan, I've been out of circulation over the past few years as I had to move to a really small flat so haven't been diy-ing, so I'm not really up on what's hot at the moment, (sorry for the pun! :D). However I should be exchanging on a house tomorrow, so once I get set up there, and all the stuff unpacked from cardboard boxes then I'll be a bit more active again.

But I would say try the Symasym if you want a fun little AB project, I'm currently running a two way active system with them and they're a great little amp, and once I get into the new house then I might well build more for a three or four way. The klone needs a rebuild as it got damaged in the last move, but it will get one as it's too good to waste, and works particularly well with SY's valve pre.

Harry, our versions were probably closer to the II than the I, both were 50w types