Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Ostripper,

Do you by chance know which topology the old UREI 6250's are?

I've got a rack full of them that I keep going back to. I've had them for years. They just keep running and running ...

I've never paid attention to what's inside.

UREI 6250 schematic

Attachments

• UREI 6250 schematic.jpg
    UREI 6250 schematic.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 619
Carl,
Just in case you don't know it those UREI amps are very sought after by collectors and old analog studio guys. If you ever sell them you should get some real money for them. I sold an old UREI variable crossover to someone I know with a very high end studio here in Hollywood and he paid me more than it cost new.

Carl,
Just in case you don't know it those UREI amps are very sought after by collectors and old analog studio guys. If you ever sell them you should get some real money for them. I sold an old UREI variable crossover to someone I know with a very high end studio here in Hollywood and he paid me more than it cost new.

Yea, I know some of those guys. It is surprising how good these amps sound once you consider how simple of a circuit is inside.

OS ,i must say that ,from a little listening test ,i prefer this NAD from SPOOKY.
bass is more compact and always under control ,high frequencies more clear also,this is my opinion.

PS you didn't answer my question about these Csa/b ,did you mean an R.C circuit?
What's your opinion about changing values of c107.109 up to 150pf?

First we have to figure out what changed from the V1.2 to v1.3.

OS

That is a incomplete schema ... but , I can "see" the rest !

It looks like my next endeavor .. A cfa (yes , the UREI is one)
with the CF stage driven by an OP-amp ;) .

a guess , but the dual diode input to the level shifters almost
assures this.

OS
You are right.
I couldn't fit the whole thing.
It has IC chips in front.

Attachments

• UREI 6250 schematic complete.jpg
    UREI 6250 schematic complete.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Must have been tired...

Well gents, I can attest to the fact these boards can withstand some rework :eek:.

I'm surprised no one noticed in looking at the pics I had previously put up that I somehow managed to install all the outputs the wrong way (incorrect polarity)! Had to remove all ten devices and switch them around. The bulb limiter earned its keep tonight.

After fixing that little mistake the OPS biased up and held a pretty steady idle current. The capacitance multiplier drops about 2V when being fed from my test supply of +/-32V. Given my lowish test supply I used 6.2kΩ resistors to set up about a 4.6mA current to simulate a front end being present.

Now on to a front end, some proper heat sinks and a proper PSU.

Well gents, I can attest to the fact these boards can withstand some rework :eek:.

I'm surprised no one noticed in looking at the pics I had previously put up that I somehow managed to install all the outputs the wrong way (incorrect polarity)! Had to remove all ten devices and switch them around. The bulb limiter earned its keep tonight.

After fixing that little mistake the OPS biased up and held a pretty steady idle current. The capacitance multiplier drops about 2V when being fed from my test supply of +/-32V. Given my lowish test supply I used 6.2kΩ resistors to set up about a 4.6mA current to simulate a front end being present.

Now on to a front end, some proper heat sinks and a proper PSU.

Bulbs are cool , aren't they ! I usually just do the "thimios thing" and
just mount 1 pair OP.

I decided what my plan is. just 3 pair on the op boards (I received them-nice!!!)
With just a 2.1 system ... 1 "badger" for the sub , the pair of "slew's" for
my stereo pair. :cool::cool:

PS - If I post my work ... it will be perfect (anal , of course).
JK - cool how you can "fake" an IPS on the OPS ... ehhh!
OS

Last edited:
Bulbs are cool , aren't they ! I usually just do the "thimios thing" and
just mount 1 pair OP.

I decided what my plan is. just 3 pair on the op boards (I received them-nice!!!)
With just a 2.1 system ... 1 "badger" for the sub , the pair of "slew's" for
my stereo pair. :cool::cool:

PS - If I post my work ... it will be perfect (anal , of course).

OS

Yeah, I think I'll likely do the same as Thimios too next time, instead of getting cocky and putting them all on at once.

Glad you like the boards. Are you going to space out the outputs by installing every other one or populate them all closest to the VBE? Oh, and please do post your work. I love to see how others implement their builds.

It looks like my next endeavor .. A cfa (yes , the UREI is one) with the CF stage driven by an OP-amp "

Yes, please! I'd like to see that.

UREI_6250_00.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me. Here is a larger PDF of the UREI 6250. If you Google 'UREI 6250 User Manual' the PDF that includes this will be listed.

It's a VFA ! Lead comp + dc blocker are relegated to the IC. The quality
of the full amp will be determined by the topology of the IC.
As a reference the TL072 is a "blameless" with fet inputs , the NE5532
is a symasym ... etc...
Thanks ..... it is done (I will get it .. now)
OS

I'm not "ditching" the CFA.
I will succeed in making the diamond CFA better than the "VSSA".

On the VFA side , the spook and the symasui will be refined to
audiophile quality. This MUST be ... no more "childs play".

DIY must be brought to a proper compromise. (no more toys -projects)
Builds that your grandchildren will recap. :D

OS

Yeah, I think I'll likely do the same as Thimios too next time, instead of getting cocky and putting them all on at once.

Glad you like the boards. Are you going to space out the outputs by installing every other one or populate them all closest to the VBE? Oh, and please do post your work. I love to see how others implement their builds.

My 8" 2-way daytons are 150 watts , my tang band 664(sub) is also 150w

.. all 3 amps must be close (150W) , on the slews .. I will space the pairs
for a better thermal "spread".
:cool: 500W 2.1 system - pmpo would be massive !
OS