DC Servo MOSFET Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Terry

I think it might not hurt to change them to the ones you want, the thing that change is the leads position, also I think I read here that BD139 can be placed on the main larger heat sink then adjust R22 bias on my simulation respond really well at 1.5K it does lower the THD and respond really well in my diy opinion really nicely but R22 do not lower the value too much because it begins to drain more current from the rails supply :) been mosfet they act as vampires if you provoke them jejejejejejeje :p

BF420 EBC VCEO 300V

KSC1845 ECB VCEO 120V

Attachments

• CHANGED TO bd140.JPG
    CHANGED TO bd140.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 800
  • q1 AND q2.JPG
    q1 AND q2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 760
  • VOLTAGES.JPG
    VOLTAGES.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 752
  • R22.JPG
    R22.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
It is singing. I used the KSA992/C1845 in place of BF420/421 and BC550/560 in place of BC327/337. I also installed a 10K trimmer in place of the 4k7 resistor. I have the bias set to 50mA. It runs a little hot with the music turned up. Probably be wise to mount them on separate heatsinks but this is fine for testing.Square waves look good and it clips nice.

Be sure if you build this that you use BC556 fpr the LTP. I used BC546 initially because that was the label on the schematic but it was in error. They are PNP so must be BC556.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Apex F100 singing.jpg
    Apex F100 singing.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6bneI2V44A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExyUOcLXVnM

this is my F100. now it has 300VA toroidal transformer and 10000+4700uF+1000uF per rail in power supply.

i tried it with smps,than with same torodial transformer and two "jars" but it lost it´s mid´s and hi tones. than i tried a solution big+medium+small uF in PSU and i have brougt back it´s mid and hi tones.

it has a lot of power,and it should have at least 500VA transformer to really hear what it can give.

anyway,even with this 300VA transformer it has more than enough power for listening in a living room.

i also transformed it from b-class to ab-class (multiturn instead 4k7) and it has about 80mA per pair (160mA in total for one channel). BD transistor is mounted over one output mosfet,connected to a PCB over triplet and that works good.

it is really pleasant amplifier to listen,with a lot of power,made by "easy" parts.

Attachments

• 2013-02-17-113.jpg
    2013-02-17-113.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 2013-02-16-096 (4).jpg
    2013-02-16-096 (4).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 2013-02-13-087.jpg
    2013-02-13-087.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
God job! So far I have only tested it with a small PSU. +- 40vdc 300VA 6X4700uF. Sounds really good and plenty loud for indoor listening. I suppose if you want to use it in a club a bigger PSU would be warranted. I couldn't tell what frequencies your were testing with on your youtube video but they looked similar to what I see. Very square up to 20khz. 50khz starts getting rounded but that of course is way above human hearing.

I just etched the PSU and protection boards so I will try this PSU once I have it completed

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• F100 PSU and Protection silk.jpg
    F100 PSU and Protection silk.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 240
  • F100 PSU Protection foil.jpg
    F100 PSU Protection foil.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 227
God job! So far I have only tested it with a small PSU. +- 40vdc 300VA 6X4700uF. Sounds really good and plenty loud for indoor listening. I suppose if you want to use it in a club a bigger PSU would be warranted. I couldn't tell what frequencies your were testing with on your youtube video but they looked similar to what I see. Very square up to 20khz. 50khz starts getting rounded but that of course is way above human hearing.

I just etched the PSU and protection boards so I will try this PSU once I have it completed

Blessings, Terry
Terry i can't understand , isn't a good practice using two relays in signal path.
You must use either the protected power supply or the protection circuit.

Hi Thimios,

I don't plan to use both on the same amp. I just intend to build them. As usual I am just hoping to learn something. I have a few protection boards built including Valery's 21 century board. If I use one of these it will probably be the one that is PSU/protect combo board. One of these days I am going to have to stop soldering and build some cases. I don't know how I will ever decide which amps to use. I have a huge stack of awesome amps now.

Blessings, Terry

Still4
could you give a detailed description of how you achieve your printed PCB traces. A new Thread would be really nice for us, especially me. I bought another laser printer after I discovered that my Brother does not suit. And I still get rubbish results using the Dell B1160.

reverse parallel relay contacts

Borbely (or maybe some other renowned amplifier Designer) suggested using both poles of a DPDT relay to switch one speaker output.
But instead of using both poles in simple parallel connection, he suggested that one pole be connected in reverse and then paralleled.
Has anyone tried this?

Still4
could you give a detailed description of how you achieve your printed PCB traces. A new Thread would be really nice for us, especially me. I bought another laser printer after I discovered that my Brother does not suit. And I still get rubbish results using the Dell B1160.
Guys if you have access to photoresist boards there isn't better way than photographic method.

Still4

Hi Andrew,

I will try to get to that. I too struggled for a long time trying to get good results with an iron. I finally saw a video on youtube where the guy used cheap shelving paper from the dollar store as the medium and it changed my life. I wish I could find it again so I could give a link. I don't know about the Dell printers. I couldn't get good results with a Brother printer either. I think the toner needs too high a heat or something. OS suggested HP so I just bought a cheap one, (P1102w) and it has worked fine. I have seen the results that Thimios gets from the Photo-etch boards and they are stellar but the boards are expensive. I get my boards from this guy and they are less than a dollar each, so it was important for me to learn how to do the toner transfer method. I'm happy with the results I get now and it literally takes less than an hour to etch and drill a board. Hopefully I will have time this week to put together some detailed info on it and I start a new thread about it. I has really added to my enjoyment.

Blessings, Terry

It is singing. I used the KSA992/C1845 in place of BF420/421 and BC550/560 in place of BC327/337. I also installed a 10K trimmer in place of the 4k7 resistor. I have the bias set to 50mA. It runs a little hot with the music turned up. Probably be wise to mount them on separate heatsinks but this is fine for testing.Square waves look good and it clips nice.

Be sure if you build this that you use BC556 fpr the LTP. I used BC546 initially because that was the label on the schematic but it was in error. They are PNP so must be BC556.

Blessings, Terry

Nice work.
Regards

Hello mister Mile

I have this crazy idea of adding more pair mosfet for the F100 so far I simulated as it is with original schematic, " I know is not accurate because is software simulation"

do I need to do any further modifications to able to use 6 pairs of mosfet ?

don't mind about the name Atom it will be always be F100 just with more pairs :) ATOM 600 is just to identified my crazy ideas :p

The PCB is not completed yet I still hunting for errors = erratas

Regards
Juan

Attachments

• ATOM F100.JPG
    ATOM F100.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Apex F100 plus by Juan Vargas 6.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 217
  • MOSFER ATOM 600 Juan small images.jpg
    MOSFER ATOM 600 Juan small images.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 677
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.