Influence of the delay amplifiers for listening characteristics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I think I understand what the graphs mean, but how does this relate to the sound of an amplifier?

Phase shift would be an indicator of high THD20, maybe?

- keantoken

Rotation of the output signal shows the characteristics of the amplifier. I want to find a method to assess the amplifier without complex and expensive equipment. Oscilloscope is sufficient. Find a method that corresponds to what is heard. Think that 5-6 ° at 100kHz, the threshold to be starting to hear.

Whoah, it turns out I understood you all along. Surprised myself there.

So, to develop a method... I don't think we can go by phase shift alone, BUT, it could add meaningfully to the variables already established.

So we're looking, specifically, for the correlation between phase shift and sound. To go at this directly we would need to set up a whole ABX experiment type thing, but there are other ways we can attack it indirectly.

We know (unless I'm mistaken) that while harmonic distortion is tolerable in any well designed amplifier, nonlinear distortions such as IMD are the most unpleasant.

So I think the best route right now is to see what correlations there are between phase shift and IMD.

What are the causes of IMD/nonlinear distortions? how do these same causes affect phase shift?

I suspect that in order to use phase shift as a meaningful measure we will have to combine it with another variable, such as Vdif. I don't think phase shift alone is enough, but if we make it an important part it may be revealing. If we are successful, we will end up with a measure that closely parallels ABX tests.

- keantoken

I suspect that in order to use phase shift as a meaningful measure we will have to combine it with another variable, such as Vdif.
- keantoken

Topology%20Federmann,%20HQQF-55_1.jpg

Me on the phase shift brought Vdif.

For sinus:

Vdif = input voltage * (1-cosine phase shift)
Vdif = V(a) * (1-cos phase shift)
(1-cos phase shift) indicates the profit margin AU*- AU, while decreasing the profit margin grows and grows Vdif phase shift.

Output voltage = Vdif * AU*
V(c) = Vdif * AU*

AU* = gain without feedback
AU = Amplification Amplifiers

In the phase shift is included AU*, AU, SR and V(c)
When Vdif in the non-linear, there is IMD. Something I wrote here and here

Last edited:
Me on the phase shift brought Vdif.

For sinus:

Vdif = input voltage * (1-cosine phase shift)

Okay, so this gives the perfect AC Vdif, all linear distortions removed.

So say we make a plot:

X=frequency
Y=phase shift

And then regress said plot into a model. Differences between the model and the measurements indicate nonlinear distortion.

So it seems you've got all the math worked out, but need a way to measure in real life?

- keantoken

The rotation of 5-6 ° at 100kHz, in my opinion represents 1% THD.

No such relation exists. You do not distinguish linear and non-linear distortions. Phase shift is a linear distortion, though THD is a non-linear distortion. Linear distortion does not create new harmonic components. Non-linear distortion creates new harmonic components, on multiples of basic frequency, that were not present in the original signal. Your permanent mixing of phase angle and THD is just confusing for those who are not experienced in the subject.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The rotation of 5-6 ° at 100kHz, in my opinion represents 1% THD.

Tone controls introduce substantial phase shift... far more than 6 degrees and within the audio band to but it is not THD :)

Similarly linear tape recording has significant phase shift due to azimuth issues with the replay head but again it is not "distortion" in the way you seem to mean.

The ears on your head introduce phase shift, it's partly how we locate sound direction, but it's not introducing "distortion"

Wait, how about

X=Phase shift
y=Vdif

Problem with using phase shift as a variable is that it is caused by 2 factors:

1: Cdom. This is not as dangerous as

2: Nonlinear/diode capacitances.

[PS: I thought linear distortion was harmonic distortion and nonlinear distortion was IMD. I suppose I should call IMD nonharmonic distortion. oops]

Okay, I think I should ask the question:

Is "transistor sound" caused by nonlinear distortion or nonharmonic distortion?

- keantoken

[PS: I thought linear distortion was harmonic distortion and nonlinear distortion was IMD.

No.

Total harmonic distortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or here:

http://www.rane.com/note145.html

They are both nonlinear distortions. In case you have a transfer function of the circuit (electronic circuit = nonlinear circuit), then there is a direct mathematical relation between THD and IMD.

No such relation exists between phase shift and THD (or IMD).

And, phase shift in a non-linear circuit is non-linear as well (i.e. depends also on amplitude).

Last edited:
No such relation exists between phase shift and THD (or IMD).

I was working this out for a good few hours, and it seems so.

However, there is a relationship between phase shift and the rise of THD20; Higher Cdom increases THD20 as well as phase shift (while it won't affect lower frequency distortion), and this seems to be Frederman's point.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong, I though Frederman said something but I can't find it anymore.

- keantoken

Last edited:
Last edited:
Once again i have to thank Mr. Hugh Dean, he said, once, in 2004, the amplifier must be near the oscilation threshold to reproduce a good treble.... was interesting, those days he had not applied this into his units, i hope he is already applying the idea...works great into sonics.

Those early days i found this would result harshing..... i was wrong.

regards,

Carlos

Maybe Federmann has a point?

Cheers Michael

2 Federmann
Real amplifier with output phase shift at 100kHz about 25 degrees (should have according your theory much more than 1%THD) measured THD at 20kHz about 0,005%, DIM19+20 kHz about the same..
How would you explain this?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.