Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2018, 11:19 PM   #691
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
Hello friends!

I have a question regarding one PSU capacitor (C9 from the usual FirstWatt PSU), which is actually not soldered to this PCB but which is placed between the two input thermistors (before the transformer).

It's C9: .0033uF LINE??? I don't know what 'line' means, nor what type of Cap this should be? Ceramic? Also metal? What voltage? (does this depend on whether its 240 or 120?)

Thanks for any info, best regards,
Rafa.
Hi Rafa,

This link should help explain the function of line capacitors:

Safety Capacitors First: Class-X and Class-Y Capacitors

Here is the line capacitor I use in Pass builds:

ECQ-U2A332ML Panasonic Electronic Components | Capacitors | DigiKey
Old 28th August 2018, 11:21 PM   #692
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

"Line" means line-level voltage (ie: 120V or 240V).

You want an X1-rated or X2-rated capacitor. (X1 just has a higher voltage rating, but either one is well over 240V.)

Cheers,
Jeff.
Old 28th August 2018, 11:24 PM   #693
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Line, in this case, means X1/Y1 rated (or better) for placement across the mains.
Old 28th August 2018, 11:55 PM   #694
johnpark0 is offline johnpark0
diyAudio Member

Hello friends. I am a complete DIY newb. An enthusiastic one but a newb nonetheless. I have built the ACA 1.6 and am now going to attempt the Aleph J, which requires that I build a PS. The instructions on page 1 are clear, however I couldn't find what kind of toroidal transformer to get and how to connect it. Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks,

John
Old 29th August 2018, 01:34 AM   #695
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpark0 View Post
Hello friends. I am a complete DIY newb. An enthusiastic one but a newb nonetheless. I have built the ACA 1.6 and am now going to attempt the Aleph J, which requires that I build a PS. The instructions on page 1 are clear, however I couldn't find what kind of toroidal transformer to get and how to connect it. Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. Thanks,

John
Antek AS-3218 or AS-4218 are both good choices.

http://www.antekinc.com/content/AS-3218.pdf

http://www.antekinc.com/content/AS-4218.pdf

Last edited by WKCox; 29th August 2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 29th August 2018, 04:09 AM   #696
johnpark0 is offline johnpark0
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKCox View Post
MANY THANKS
Old 18th September 2018, 07:46 PM   #697
cRomer is offline cRomer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
mkane - What kind of wall-wart? And what are you powering downstream of it? This PSU can be used in many projects.
Can the SMPS used in ACA 1.6 be used to power the F6? One per side if necessary.

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2018, 08:31 PM   #698
mrdave45 is offline mrdave45  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cromer, the f6 needs a bipolar supply. The aca is only +24 and gnd.
I also highly doubt you can join 2 together to form a bipolar device. You can in certain circumstances join 2 together to form higher voltage supplies but from a quick Google search it seems to come with a lot of caveats and theres lots of ways that can go wrong.
The DIY psu is absolutely perfect for these amps, I strongly suggest using that design as it's tried and tested and limits opportunity for blowing things up or just not really working as expected. Even if the aca supplies worked in series, you'd probably need 4 of them which could well be more expensive than the linear psu.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:33 PM   #699
cRomer is offline cRomer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdave45 View Post
Cromer, the f6 needs a bipolar supply. The aca is only +24 and gnd.
I also highly doubt you can join 2 together to form a bipolar device. You can in certain circumstances join 2 together to form higher voltage supplies but from a quick Google search it seems to come with a lot of caveats and theres lots of ways that can go wrong.
The DIY psu is absolutely perfect for these amps, I strongly suggest using that design as it's tried and tested and limits opportunity for blowing things up or just not really working as expected. Even if the aca supplies worked in series, you'd probably need 4 of them which could well be more expensive than the linear psu.

Very well explained. Thank you.
Old 25th September 2018, 01:14 PM   #700
CAPT Deadpool is offline CAPT Deadpool
diyAudio Member

6L6 I'm building a PSU for a BBA-3. 32+- Output. Using a AN-6224 transformer. Do I need input and/or output snubbers? Resistor snubbers in and/or out? It seems that I do not. If I do could you provide part #s or the critical specs. The Note 4 Article from the BOM made my head spin.

Also which blue LEDs did you use in the BA-3 build guide? I think you used 2.2K resistors for the LED can you confirm that?

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!