• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark Audio Alpair floorstander, pensil - horn or?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
attachment.php

Well, made a quick comparison between the 10p and the 12p-pensils.

The 10p is prettier, but the 12p isn't really frighteningly big. I am used to OB atm.

Attachments

• 10vs12.png
    10vs12.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 805
OK, I may be diving into a swamp here....

I am planning on building a pair of 10ps. The plans show Baltic birch. I was thinking about MDF (the good kind) and laminating with veneer.

I noted bad karma about MDF. Could someone enlighten me on the issues? The MDF that I would use is a very high quality type, and cuts like butter on my friends contractor table saw.

Thanks for any advice.

I would believe the accuracy of Mark's anecoic factory measures before anything done by us rookies in the field.

Unlike some manufactures he makes no concessions to "optimizing" the measures for marketing purposes.

dave

The measurements from another site were done by a semi-pro in a nearly anechoic facility. He's paid and he uses a very large shop are. It's the top 3 or 4 octaves that really don't require an anechoic chamber anyways. And that's where I see the most descrepency.

I'd rank other manufacturer's as more reliable. All in my opinion.

Hey Jeff. I seem to get caught up in these kind of tug-of-wars :p I just saw your comment and wondered if there was a 3rd party or something backing up Mark's literature. I was curious because I really like the sound of MA drivers, but have always had a hard time with his frequency response data. Hope I'm not a downer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.