• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark Audio Alpair floorstander, pensil - horn or?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Treated??!?! The plot thickens.

A12.2PeN, no good pics yet of the A10PeN, which is broadly similar looking.

A122PeN-nat-wBlueFace800.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm not much of a box designer, but doesn't that only apply to sealed? When using a resonator (port or horn or something) don't you need the T/S parameter to suite the bass extention and the displacement to get the SPL?

Does the 10 go deeper just not as loud?

In a reflex things are decidely more complex.

A10p can go lower, but smaller displacement means it is capable of moving less air before it runs out of steam.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I looked at your website and the drivers look neat, but couldn't locate info about what exactly this treatment is, and what happens performance-wise with the driver?

Drivers are EnABLed & pair matched. The biggest improvement is in DDR (downward dynamic range). Most noticable as letting the driver reveal more of the subtle information of voice, instrument, imaging/sound space.

There are those that will dispute this, but not many of them have lived with the drivers.

dave

I've heard both stock and treated versions of both drivers in the same system (Jeff's) - although not an A/B/C/D direct comparison, and for the type of music that I believe Jan would be listening to, I think the 10P would more than suffice.

There's a very delicate balancing act between displacement / excursion of larger diameter drivers, and lower level detail / micro dynamics / downward dynamic range, whatever buzzword you want to apply. Each of us can place different priorities on those various qualities, and even those can change from day to day. :) At the risk of repeating myself, as great a performer as the (current) 12P is, I just prefer the 10P's compromise between tonal balance and the resolution of dynamics at both ends of the scale.

I say current in the prior sentence, because Mark never wants to stop tweaking ;)

That's the best photo of the EnAble treatment I've seen yet. I never realized before that you were treating the outer ring as well as the cones. You have a great steady hand Dave. I can only imagine treated 10p's and 10.3's must work some extra magic. Does the treatment tame the "shout" factor that can creep in on some recordings? Some have commented that the "shout" or whatever it's best called when you get too much energy in the 3K-6K octave is one reason some favor the paper over the metal cones. Any thoughts? I wonder what color dots go best with birds eye maple veneer, hmm.

Ya, happened all over each speaker. It was water based contact cement. So must have soaked up some moisture. As soon as the AC came on in my office in the spring I visibly watched and audibly heard the veneer cracking over the course of two or three days. I'll get around to re-applying (with glue).

Ya, happened all over each speaker. It was water based contact cement. So must have soaked up some moisture. As soon as the AC came on in my office in the spring I visibly watched and audibly heard the veneer cracking over the course of two or three days. I'll get around to re-applying (with glue).

Nothing to get your heart pumping like listening to beautiful speakers cracking apart... :(

I want to veneer mine, but have never veneered anything so I am a bit anxious they will turn out awful.

Octavia - I guess some folks would posit (well, at least moi) that a certain degree of "shout" remaining on (certain sections of) some recordings but not others is the price to be paid for the detail that could easily be buried by excessive smoothing either via EQ/filtering of signal, or by over-dosing or inappropriate selection of cone treatment materials.

I didn't find the treated 10.3s to be any less energetic / forward in the upper mids than stock versions - just a lot more finely detailed at the micro level and "spacious". Dave's been doing this for at least 5yrs now, and has a pretty delicate touch with those pens and brushes - particularly so on the metal cones - it'd be easy to go overboard and kill some of their magic, if not actually damage the cones.

Jan - it stated that those were Gen 2, - a well known bass performer, but I'd still HP them and use separately powered woofers

uncompressed recording of drum kit at full tilt can kill FR drivers as quick as anything - and with the Alpairs' delicate metal cones, you don't need to melt the voice coils to frack the driver

Was raw. I was pretty bummed out.

Regarding shout, in my very limited experience with treatment, it did take out some of the heat from cone break up. Very subtle, but I think it's there. And I haven't heard a metal cone treated. I had a pair of Silver Flute 6" woofers done, and I could listen to them full range and they didn't sound distorted even though they're a true woofer not meant to be listen to above 3khz. They didn't have the treble they needed to sound good, but usually woofers will sound distorted from cone break up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.