Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII

BigE,
It is hard to compare a stamped aluminum lamella to a composite part made with a different shape. I have some future ideas for Magnasanti to try but one thing at a time. I don't think that 0.25mm is going to cause any problems with sound quality or working tolerances, that is only 0,010" a very small difference that could be greater on a stamped metal part.

All cut

Lamellas are all cut and ready for gluing. In terms of laminate quality this is better then the previous attempt due to added care in the layup process and post process.

Attachments

• 20150409_002602.jpg
    20150409_002602.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Head shots

This the closest I have come to making an mbl quality driver. This is due to a new found care and process route in laminates, cutting, craftsmanship, and rigs.. Take a look and tell me what you guys think. The inner sealer will be attached tonight.

Attachments

• Speaker 6.jpg
    Speaker 6.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Speaker 5.jpg
    Speaker 5.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Speaker 4.jpg
    Speaker 4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Speaker 3.jpg
    Speaker 3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Speaker 2.jpg
    Speaker 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 426
  • speaker 1.jpg
    speaker 1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 450
Inner sealer is put

The inner sealer is put I still need more practice on this matter but it turned out ok. Still needs final sealer and filler. Next time it will be ready and playing some tunes.

Attachments

• Speaker 15.jpg
    Speaker 15.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Speaker 14.jpg
    Speaker 14.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Speaker 13.jpg
    Speaker 13.jpg
    975.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Speaker 12.jpg
    Speaker 12.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Speaker 11.jpg
    Speaker 11.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Speaker 10.jpg
    Speaker 10.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 204
No I am not using infusion to make these laminates. I am just using a vacuum and a proper technique for the lay-up and post process. I really like the matt Finnish in these that matches the mbl look. This is due to using frekote as a release agent. This One I feel is pretty close to mbl quality I still need to work on a couple of things that if I decide to make another It will be simply for the purpose of making a perfect mbl quality driver. All others will be made for experimenting to achieve better than this control measurement.

this thread is till one of the highest ranked in no compromise no cost object DIY. i many times wondered if this whas just for you or is there any comercial benefit to it >? everything is done so well. and never did something to skip on costs. its a sick thread to follow !

keep up the good work its verry interesting!!

Thank you guys for the kind words. I would have never thought you guys would say the things you have to a wannabe MBL builder so it means a lot. No commercial benefits so far, maybe in the future. Any ideas what you guys would want? Let me tell you guys, this speaker is very challenging to build.

Any ideas what you guys would want? Let me tell you guys, this speaker is very challenging to build.

Full plans (after all it's diyaudio) with comments ? ;-)
Ready made parts (such as lamellas, metal parts) ?
Full kits ? Partial kits ?
All of the above ?

On the other note, if you're going to make bass driver, do you plan to use thicker carbon fiber for lamellas or aluminium as on original MBL (it's probably next to impossible to diy them) ?