Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2020, 01:14 AM   #841
seashell is offline seashell
diyAudio Member

I imagine websocket is also more portable between windows and linux than standard sockets anyway.

Switching to json sounds like a good idea. There are json parsers for pretty much everything and it's easy to decipher as plaintext too.

My mention of console to websocket was only in the context of maybe it would be the easy. Since you've stated that's not the case I don't see it as being very important. It sounds like you're already planning to add the useful information to the websocket.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #842
tweakgames is offline tweakgames
diyAudio Member

Hello.

I am really enjoying CamillaDSP. Thank you.

I attempted to look through the 85 pages, quickly, and search, but I didn't find any obvious response to this.

Before I drive myself crazy, is this known or expected:

Windows 10.
Using VB-Cable
I am able to set the (Playback) CABLE Input to 5.1 by doing "configure speakers", but I am unable to get the (Recording) CABLE Output to do more than 2 channels.

From what I can tell, that means, when I try:

capture:
type: Wasapi
channels: 6
device: "CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"
format: FLOAT32LE

I end up with:
Capture error: The requested stream configuration is not supported by the device.

However, I can set the capture back to 2 channel, configure my onboard sound card to 5.1, and set it to 6 speakers:

playback:
device: "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"

and use mixers to output any of the 2 captured channels from the Cable Output to any of the 6 channels on the Realtek correctly.

Does this make sense? Is this a known limitation of VB-Cable and/or windows 10? Some research has shown that Windows XP allowed 8 channels of recording.

Thanks!

Last edited by tweakgames; 20th September 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:07 AM   #843
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

IME the VB cable has many limitations. I tested the free version for bit-perfection when trying to run my distortion-compensation tool on windows and have never attained 24bit perfection of the loopback. I would not be surprised if it supported two channels only.

Jackd + JackRouter ASIO driver are bit-perfect (and probably support any channel count you want). Just operation of the chain is more complicated because you have to start components in correct order for the whole chain to run correctly with no error messages.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:17 AM   #844
tweakgames is offline tweakgames
diyAudio Member

phofman, thank you very much! I will look into that shortly! Looks like the Windows installers may be difficult to find.

Last edited by tweakgames; 20th September 2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:52 AM   #845
diyAudio Member

Good luck. Windows is a P..A to do any non-standard audio setup, the OS itself lacks most of the important building blocks, "standards" change with every version, very little open source is available due to the driver/app signing craze. Only third-party proprietary tools are available, often buggy with blurr chances of improvement.

I believe a much more reliable way is building the whole chain in embedded linux running on inexpensive HW and presenting the device to windows as standard USB-audio gadget, just to use the dummy windows for GUI playback and control. The linux USB gadget supports combined mode where usb-audio and USB-network devices can run concurrently, allowing control of the linux chain via windows browser. That is a plan for my next project and CamillaDSP already has a great web interface.

As a step forward, linux has a reliable USBIP toolset and even supports hooking the USB gadgets to the USBIP driver, allowing to connect the virtual USB devices over regular network - 100m range, galvanic isolation for free. I tested USBIP some time ago, worked great Linux host - linux device while getting some bug windows host - linux devices. But the USBIP developers are working hard to iron the problems out Issues * cezanne/usbip-win * GitHub
Old 20th September 2020, 09:02 AM   #846
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakgames View Post
Looks like the Windows installers may be difficult to find.
Releases * jackaudio/jack2-releases * GitHub

For installation I think I followed steps in Using JACK on Windows | JACK Audio Connection Kit

Last edited by phofman; 20th September 2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 20th September 2020, 07:24 PM   #847
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakgames View Post
Hello.

I am really enjoying CamillaDSP. Thank you.

I attempted to look through the 85 pages, quickly, and search, but I didn't find any obvious response to this.

Before I drive myself crazy, is this known or expected:

Windows 10.
Using VB-Cable
I am able to set the (Playback) CABLE Input to 5.1 by doing "configure speakers", but I am unable to get the (Recording) CABLE Output to do more than 2 channels.

From what I can tell, that means, when I try:

capture:
device: "CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)"

I end up with:
Capture error: The requested stream configuration is not supported by the device.

However, I can set the capture back to 2 channel, configure my onboard sound card to 5.1, and set it to 6 speakers:

playback:
device: "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"

and use mixers to output any of the 2 captured channels from the Cable Output to any of the 6 channels on the Realtek correctly.

Does this make sense? Is this a known limitation of VB-Cable and/or windows 10? Some research has shown that Windows XP allowed 8 channels of recording.

Thanks!
I have only tried stereo before, but I tried to record more channels now. I also can't get VB-Cable to output more than two. Seems to be a known limitation since Windows Vista: 5.1 with Virtual Cable? - VB-Audio's Forums
Old 20th September 2020, 07:32 PM   #848
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
IME the VB cable has many limitations. I tested the free version for bit-perfection when trying to run my distortion-compensation tool on windows and have never attained 24bit perfection of the loopback. I would not be surprised if it supported two channels only.

Jackd + JackRouter ASIO driver are bit-perfect (and probably support any channel count you want). Just operation of the chain is more complicated because you have to start components in correct order for the whole chain to run correctly with no error messages.
The ASIO part may be a showstopper here(?).

There is ASIO support in CPAL and I have tried enabling it for CamillaDSP. It does kind of work, but with many problems. First of all it's limited to 16-bit for most hardware. And there were strange problems when closing devices which caused problems both when exiting CamillaDSP and when reloading the config. I decided to not include this in CamillaDSP yet and I haven't had time to look into it any further
Old 20th September 2020, 07:38 PM   #849
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I believe a much more reliable way is building the whole chain in embedded linux running on inexpensive HW and presenting the device to windows as standard USB-audio gadget, just to use the dummy windows for GUI playback and control. The linux USB gadget supports combined mode where usb-audio and USB-network devices can run concurrently, allowing control of the linux chain via windows browser. That is a plan for my next project and CamillaDSP already has a great web interface.
Is it possible to use the audio gadget mode with windows now? I tried it with my pi4 (raspbian 10.3, kernel 4.19.97), and windows found the device but could not start it. I googled a bit and it seems the gadget is missing some stuff that windows requires. It it working with more recent kernels?
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:22 PM   #850
xorcz is offline xorcz  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

In the GUI I cannot change to PulseAudio:
020-09-22T19:20:17Z ERROR camillalib::socketserver] Config error: devices.capture.type: unknown variant `PulseAudio`, expected one of `Alsa`, `Pulse`, `File`, `Stdin` at line 7 column 11

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!