Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

Any idea when the ES9018K2M DAC HAT will be available?

I'm already having prototype of this ES9018K2M DAC HAT. It really did good job on playing native DSD on top of my IsolatorPi and DoP decoder. But I don't have time to figure out writing a device driver/overlay for it. So, I'm using the standard I2S driver for now. But to enable internal 32bit hardware volume control we really need that device driver. Just hope somebody can do something on it.

I'm not sure when it will be available, maybe next GB. I will see.

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

I know isolator HAT and DoP decoder board won't be expensive, but is it possible to
provide us with an estimated price? This way it makes it much easier for people to
decide if they only want one to order or several.....

Thanks in advance.

Btw, any news on my FIFO II kit?

I'll have prices very soon. But please trust me, they are really not expensive :)

Ian

Just as I am looking for also. However its hard to find.
Have gerber files for a i2s-(lvds)- HDMI out using that chip but its not "rpi HAT" compable. Have to wire it myself but should work fine. Will order some pcbs and see how it goes.
Have
Hi Ian,

Just my 2 cents. There are more and more DACs with HDMI-I2S (PS Audio Standard) input port rolled-out, it will make life easier if there is a HDMI-I2S output port on the Rpi Isolator board.

You can use DS90LV047A as LVDS transceiver. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

Features and Specifications

- 150MHz 2.5KV digital isolator, 768KHz I2S and DSD512 capable.

- Bi-directional architecture works with audio cards in both slave clock and master clock modes.

- Ready for native DSD output using companion DoP decoder in on-board socket.

- 5v-6v audio power input with RPi-controlled automatic and isolated enable/disable. Un-isolated side powered by RPi/ODROID.

- Isolated I2C for audio card configuration and control.

- ID EEPROM isolator provided for RaspberryPi HAT DACs.

- Also works with ODROID. Adapts RPi audio cards to ODROID.

- Duplicates the input 40-pin RPi header for a non-isolated 40-pin GPIO connector. This provides access to GPIOs for applications such as IR receivers, rotary encoders and other non-analog devices while preserving isolation to audio cards.

- Needs no device driver and/or overlay. Works in transparent mode.

- Suitable for most Raspberry Pi audio cards such as DAC HATs, S/PDIF Adapter HATs, I2S Reclocker HATs and many other RPi HiFi applications.

Ian

Ian,
Sounds great. Is it possible to operate the chain rpi2 -- isolator + mini dsd board ----- kali ---via i2S --- - dddac 1794, using PCM and Natural dsd?

Atually I am using rpi2 --- kali -- via I2S -- dddac 1794, having PCM and dsd128 /dop and using the kali as reclocker and dddac 1794 as slave.

Paul

Ian,
Sounds great. Is it possible to operate the chain rpi2 -- isolator + mini dsd board ----- kali ---via i2S --- - dddac 1794, using PCM and Natural dsd?

Atually I am using rpi2 --- kali -- via I2S -- dddac 1794, having PCM and dsd128 /dop and using the kali as reclocker and dddac 1794 as slave.

Paul

@Paul

You have to make sure devices after IsolatorPi and DoP decoder are capable for DSD support. DSD is totally different format than I2S though they normally share same bus/interface.

Regards,
Ian

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ian,
<SNIP>
Paul

Paul, the PCM1794 DAC chips used in the DDDAC are not capable of playing DSD formatted data, either in native DSD (as would be output when using Ian's DoP Decoder board) or DoP.

HOWEVER, 2 of the setups I have tested with Ian's IsolatorPi are RPi DACs using the PCM1793, a sister chip to the PCM1794 in the DDDAC. The configuration is RPi2->IsolatorPi->Kali->PCM1793 DAC HAT.

Those 2 setups both worked VERY well in this configuration, better than when used without the IsolatorPi, and are the 2 best-sounding RPi DAC setups in my collection of RPi DACs.

You can see more information on that PCM1793 DAC here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/306117-dac-raspberry-pi.html

Note that unlike all other RPi DAC HATS I have, this design requires +-15v power to operate, making it a more complex setup than other common RPi DACs.

<SNIP>
I recommend DAC with Master clock mode (normally has two XO on board) to work with my IsolatorPi.

Ian

I have tested the IsolatorPi in both master and slave modes (on a Kali for slave mode) with a stock Allo Boss and my modified HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, both with ripped CDs so far. Both work well in both modes and the IsolatorPi is an improvement in my setups in both modes. BUT I am getting my best results with those 2 DACs in slave mode on an IsolatorPi->Kali stack.

I will say that the Allo Boss is very good on the IsolatorPi in master mode and it is my current favorite entry level RPi DAC in that configuration.

AND the Boss in slave mode on an IsolatorPi->Kali stack is my current favorite RPi DAC that works either with 5V power from the IsolatorPi (very good) or with a good separate 5V supply (even better). The only RPi DACs I have above the Boss are the Dial DAC as above, but again the stock one requires +-15V supplies and a HotRod version I built from a bare board also uses 2 more 5V supplies.

My setup producing the best sound out of an RPi DAC uses a total of 6 supplies (5V RPi, 5V IsolatorPi, 5V Kali, 2x 5V & +-15V HotRod Dial DAC). That may seem a bit extreme, but as long as each supply is good, having all boards separately powered provides the best sound quality for me in my setups.

I'm really looking forward to trying Ian's ES9018K2M RPi DAC when it becomes available.

Greg in Mississippi

@Greg,
Thanks for your comments.
Actuallly I get music out of my chain rpi2 ---- kali---- dddac 1794 (via I2S).

At closer look I notice that Moode is playing flawlessly coverted DSD 128 file on the fly . Moode 3.1 states the outputstream as 24 bits 192, the input converted from DSD to PCM 384.

DSD 256 files also gives music, but with continuous interruptions. To complicaties.
Paul

[QUOTE=Greg Stewart;5101590]Paul, the PCM1794 DAC chips used in the DDDAC are not capable of playing DSD formatted data, either in native DSD (as would be output when using Ian's DoP Decoder board) or DoP.

HOWEVER, 2 of the setups I have tested with Ian's IsolatorPi are RPi DACs using the PCM1793, a sister chip to the PCM1794 in the DDDAC. The configuration is RPi2->IsolatorPi->Kali->PCM1793 DAC HAT.

Those 2 setups both worked VERY well in this configuration, better than when used without the IsolatorPi, and are the 2 best-sounding RPi DAC setups in my collection of RPi DACs.

You can see more information on that PCM1793 DAC here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/306117-dac-raspberry-pi.html

Note that unlike all other RPi DAC HATS I have, this design requires +-15v power to operate, making it a more complex setup than other common RPi DACs.

I have tested the IsolatorPi in both master and slave modes (on a Kali for slave mode) with a stock Allo Boss and my modified HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, both with ripped CDs so far. Both work well in both modes and the IsolatorPi is an improvement in my setups in both modes. BUT I am getting my best results with those 2 DACs in slave mode on an IsolatorPi->Kali stack.

I will say that the Allo Boss is very good on the IsolatorPi in master mode and it is my current favorite entry level RPi DAC in that configuration.

AND the Boss in slave mode on an IsolatorPi->Kali stack is my current favorite RPi DAC that works either with 5V power from the IsolatorPi (very good) or with a good separate 5V supply (even better). The only RPi DACs I have above the Boss are the Dial DAC as above, but again the stock one requires +-15V supplies and a HotRod version I built from a bare board also uses 2 more 5V supplies.

My setup producing the best sound out of an RPi DAC uses a total of 6 supplies (5V RPi, 5V IsolatorPi, 5V Kali, 2x 5V & +-15V HotRod Dial DAC). That may seem a bit extreme, but as long as each supply is good, having all boards separately powered provides the best sound quality for me in my setups.

I'm really looking forward to trying Ian's ES9018K2M RPi DAC when it becomes available.

Greg in Mississippi[/QUOTE]

Hi Ian. Thanks very much for the manual - concise and clear, just the way I like it! I do need to know the price (and the DoP daughter board) before I commit myself though. I currently have a ES9018 DAC board designed to take an amanero USB to I2S converter. It is decommissioned at present but thinking of putting it back to use. I would like to know if you have an ETA for your DAC board? Will I be able to control the volume on your DAC board using the RPi (hardware mixer).

Thanks once again.

Hi Ian. Thanks very much for the manual - concise and clear, just the way I like it! I do need to know the price (and the DoP daughter board) before I commit myself though. I currently have a ES9018 DAC board designed to take an amanero USB to I2S converter. It is decommissioned at present but thinking of putting it back to use. I would like to know if you have an ETA for your DAC board? Will I be able to control the volume on your DAC board using the RPi (hardware mixer).

Thanks once again.

@smoothquark

Do you mean my ES9018K2M DAC board?

Ian

@smoothquark

ES9018K2M DAC HAT has internal hardware volume control. But it needs a linux driver to enable. I just don't have time to figure out writing it. It can be upgrade at any time, or use a standard 9018K2M driver if there is.

Yes, I still have some prototype PCBs. If you really interested in it, maybe I can share one or two of them with you.

Do you have ES9018K2M chip?

Ian

I am using the MamboBerry LS DAC+ and currently it powers the RPi3 through the GPIO.

In reading the IsolatorPi manual it appears I would still just power in the same way I am now after installing the IsolatorPi in between the DAC board and the RPi3 board?

Yes, you can still power the LS DAC+ the same way as you are now. But with IsolatorPi, you have to power RPi separately. Two power supply will 100% isolated from each other. Your DAC will have a dedicated power supply that has no any business with RPi.

Ian