Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Just to clarify: the multi-boot feature was available with the new support chip, but hadn't been tested, so they left it turned off in the production Pi3. Once turned on, now there is support, there's really no need to turn it back off.

As well as USB MSD boot, it supports PXE (remote boot over Ethernet) which, once you set it up, is seriously cool - run Moode for Audio, Kodi for multimedia, or whatever other custom os you want - great for testing, etc. Just tell the PXE server what os to serve and reboot - great for "Pi in the wall" installations or distributed headless Pi across a network.

No storage needed at all on the Pi, you can assign network storage of whatever size you want (My 'work' PXE server has 12TB of SAS storage - only a few cents per GB!) or you can distribute a custom Moode config to each device based off a common image - you only need to change the hostid, which you can script to be the MAC address or a portion of. Great for distributed multi-room.

If you have kids, get them a Pi3 and PXE a desktop image with centralised storage, printing, etc. and no need to worry about corruption, virii, etc. - desktop performance for a fraction of a desktop pc price. Of course PXE will distribute any OS - windows, Linux, Mac OS - as long as the device supports it (most modern kit does) depending on what you want to do. Buy some second hand thin clients if you want more grunt and distribute Windows or Linux. My home PXE server is on a Mac mini, but it could be a Windows pc, Linux box, or Pi (put that Pi2 to work - PXE server doesn't need to be able to PXE boot itself) and doesn't need to be dedicated - PXE and network storage doesn't need much grunt.

@Zootalaws, can you please tell me if PXE boot works with the Pi2B?

Also can you please give a link(s) to where I could learn about how to configure PXE boot and PXE server?

It all sounds very interesting to me!

Thanks, Rob

Hi,
Purchased Moode to use with a Raspberry Zero W as a digital source via OTG USB-Hub to DAC.
I've got a Pi3 running OSMC as media center, that one used to have Moode.

Now, the Zero, I can't seem to get it to work. How do I enable the wifi? I've tried using the, supposedly, plug-n-play OTG hub with a built in ethernet adapter.
No luck so far.
I'm not an expert on linux, far from it, but I'm not completely oblivious neither.

In a youtube video I saw an LED lighting up, it does not happend on mine, the LEDs inside the USB-hub lights up though.

Any help is appreciated, I have a PS/extension board I bought here on the forums swap meet that's tailored for the Zero. I intend to get some sort of display, preferably with HDMI input and putting the whole thing along with a DSP in an oscilloscope case, the old type with a round, green CRT cover. I thought a 5" display in that old heathkit enclosure would look kind of cool.

Hi,
Purchased Moode to use with a Raspberry Zero W as a digital source via OTG USB-Hub to DAC.
I've got a Pi3 running OSMC as media center, that one used to have Moode.

Now, the Zero, I can't seem to get it to work. How do I enable the wifi? I've tried using the, supposedly, plug-n-play OTG hub with a built in ethernet adapter.
No luck so far.
I'm not an expert on linux, far from it, but I'm not completely oblivious neither.

In a youtube video I saw an LED lighting up, it does not happend on mine, the LEDs inside the USB-hub lights up though.

Any help is appreciated, I have a PS/extension board I bought here on the forums swap meet that's tailored for the Zero. I intend to get some sort of display, preferably with HDMI input and putting the whole thing along with a DSP in an oscilloscope case, the old type with a round, green CRT cover. I thought a 5" display in that old heathkit enclosure would look kind of cool.

Hi,

When moOde boots on a W it automatically activates AP mode. moOde setup guide has information on how to access a Pi using AP mode.

-Tim

In case people hadn't noticed, there's a new official Raspbian build just out (2017-06-21) based on the 4.9 kernel.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Nice :)

I rebuilt moodeOS using that release last night and updated the kernel to 4.9.33 which contains updated I2S audio overlays.

Still a ways to go on moOde 3.8 but getting closer. Waiting for the Allo Piano Dual-Mono overlay, etc.

-Tim

Hi,
I think I got a dud board. Can't even get it to output on HDMI using NOOBS.
And, as I wrote, no LED lighting up when board is powered.
I got it about 4 weeks ago, but let it sit in the ESD-safe bag until yesterday or the day before. Used ESD-protection as usual. I hope the vendor sends me a replacement.
Any service minded vendor would. But I think there could be a problem that I let it sit so long before testing it.

@Zootalaws, can you please tell me if PXE boot works with the Pi2B?

Also can you please give a link(s) to where I could learn about how to configure PXE boot and PXE server?

It all sounds very interesting to me!

Thanks, Rob

No, PXE is supported by the new interface chip on the Pi3 and Compute Module only.

You can run a PXE server on a Pi2, however.

Start here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md

Note: they give a recommended IP range for PXE boot - use their recommendation, it should be outside your normal LAN range and will only be used by PXE booting devices.

Tim,

I am going to build a system with my 11 year old son and would like to use Moode. One of his requirements is that Bluetooth from his pad/phone is available. I think I will use a Chinese amp and could get one with Bluetooth built in, but I was thinking what if Moode installed on a RPi 3 with it's Bluetooth provided the same functionality? If it is doable, it might be a feature that quite a few folks could use.

Thanks,

Andy

I'm hitting an occasional problem with my RPi2/BossDac combo. I'm upsampling to 384/24 and using the RT Kernal (either scheduler regime) and losing synch whereupon the Dac outputs the same short last bit of music at something slightly quicker than twice a second. Sounds like some of the old CD player behavior on a bad misread. It doesn't happen often (every other night?) but I need to reboot to clear it.

I like the sound quality of this configuration so I am looking to avenues to a fix. Is there a log I should check? I also thought quadrupling the buffer size might help given the high bitrate. All thoughts welcome!

Skip

Tim,

I am going to build a system with my 11 year old son and would like to use Moode. One of his requirements is that Bluetooth from his pad/phone is available. I think I will use a Chinese amp and could get one with Bluetooth built in, but I was thinking what if Moode installed on a RPi 3 with it's Bluetooth provided the same functionality? If it is doable, it might be a feature that quite a few folks could use.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

AFAIK BlueZ 5 bluetooth implementation on Raspbian doesn't directly support ALSA anymore and instead uses PulseAudio. This pretty much makes it a non-starter for me.

-TIm

I'm hitting an occasional problem with my RPi2/BossDac combo. I'm upsampling to 384/24 and using the RT Kernal (either scheduler regime) and losing synch whereupon the Dac outputs the same short last bit of music at something slightly quicker than twice a second. Sounds like some of the old CD player behavior on a bad misread. It doesn't happen often (every other night?) but I need to reboot to clear it.

I like the sound quality of this configuration so I am looking to avenues to a fix. Is there a log I should check? I also thought quadrupling the buffer size might help given the high bitrate. All thoughts welcome!

Skip

Hi Skip,

Hard to say what the cause might be but likely something in RT kernel or Boss driver. There have been updates to the driver in the 4.9 kernel branch.

-Tim

Hi Javier,

I think you need to install and configure lirc package to be able to map remote control device cmds to MPD cmds.

I don't have any experience with remotes but I recall some posts in this thread by others that have successfully configured lirc with their remotes.

-Tim

Hi,

I finally managed to have moode, installed on a Raspberry Pi, working with the infra-red remote of my USB DAC.

Clarification: the remote does NOT communicate with the Raspberry Pi directly. It is the remote that came with the USB DAC (model: Arcam irDAC). So the infrared signals go from the remote to the DAC, then the DAC sends signals through the USB connection to the Raspberry Pi.

The only software I used that does not come with moode is LIRC. LIRC has two main parts:
- First, it can decode the signals from the remote control. This part is obsolete, as moode is based on a modern Linux kernel that can do this out of the box, with the devinput driver. So, no need to have LIRC take care of this part.
- Second, LIRC can run a daemon (irexec) to listen on incoming signals and trigger commands based on the signals. This is the part I used.

Find here the steps I followed:

- Flash brand new image of moode 3.7, for good measure
- When the USB DAC is plugged, I can see the socket file under /dev/input. In my case, it is /dev/input/event0 - good to know for troubleshooting, although this is not necessary for the rest of the configuration.
- Install LIRC:
Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc
sudo apt-get install ir-keytable
- Unplug and re-plug USB DAC to trigger udev rules
- Check input from the remote: start ir-keytable and press "STOP" on the remote. I see:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ ir-keytable -vtd /dev/input/event0
Opening /dev/input/event0
Input Protocol version: 0x00010001
Testing events. Please, press CTRL-C to abort.
1498377601.323848: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0xc00b7
1498377601.323848: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_STOPCD(0x0001)
1498377601.323848: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
1498377601.323876: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_STOPCD(0x0001)
1498377601.323876: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

- In /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, change line from:
Code:
#DRIVER="UNCONFIGURED"
to:
Code:
DRIVER="devinput"
- Replace /etc/lirc/lircd.conf with the devinput one from:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput
- To associate commands with the differente keys, create /etc/lirc/lircrc:
Code:
begin
	prog = irexec
	button = KEY_PLAY
	config = mpc play
end
begin
	prog = irexec
	button = KEY_STOPCD
	config = mpc stop
end
begin
	prog = irexec
	button = KEY_PAUSE
	config = mpc pause
end
begin
	prog = irexec
	button = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
	config = mpc prev
end
begin
	prog = irexec
	button = KEY_NEXTSONG
	config = mpc next
end
- Restart lirc:
Code:
sudo systemctl restart lirc
- Now, pressing "PLAY" starts reproduction, "STOP" stops it, and the rest of keys ("PREVIOUS", "NEXT" and "PAUSE") work as expected. The web GUI of moode sees the changes within a second and changes accordingly.

My case was easy because my DAC is new and uses a standard infrared protocol, so I just copied the file lircd.conf, I did not have to write it myself, and it is recognised by the Linux kernel with no problems. Other cases can be trickier.

The single best resource I found was LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control - they explain the architecture, how to choose between options and how to troubleshoot every step. Wonderful !

Thanks all and have fun with moode,

Javier

I have connected my Raspberry 3 with HiFiBerry DAC + pro via RCA to my amplifier. To adjust the volume to other amps connected to the amplifier, I have set the Volume (ALSA) to 85% in MoOde Audio Player 3.7 under Audio Configuration.
Has this setting affects the bit rate of a HiRes file (for example 24bit / 96kHz only ~ 20 bit remaining) or only changes it the audible volume?
Thanks alot

Attachments

• ALSA Volume.png
    ALSA Volume.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 292
@ watchal

Stop MoOde Player and remove the sd card from the raspberry pi.

Put it in a card reader and plug that into the Windows computer.
Go to My Computer (or equivalent), locate the card and click on open, this puts you into the /boot section.

Open the file called config.txt with Windows Wordpad.

Scroll to the bottom of the text and add

dtoverlay=simple-bclk-64fs

Save and exit.

Remove the card from the computer correctly, put it back in the pi, boot the pi and select the kernel you wish to use from the relevant settings page .

You can also use a program called Putty to access the card via SSH whilst it is still in the pi, But the above way is easy and simple, if you wish to learn a little more, come back.

atb

Ronnie

Last edited: