Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I have connected my Raspberry 3 with HiFiBerry DAC + pro via RCA to my amplifier. To adjust the volume to other amps connected to the amplifier, I have set the Volume (ALSA) to 85% in MoOde Audio Player 3.7 under Audio Configuration.
Has this setting affects the bit rate of a HiRes file (for example 24bit / 96kHz only ~ 20 bit remaining) or only changes it the audible volume?
Thanks alot

Hi,

I don't quite understand your configuration and why you would set ALSA volume to 85%. ???

Are u using an external volume control (on your amp or preamp)?

-Tim

@ watchal

Stop MoOde Player and remove the sd card from the raspberry pi.

Put it in a card reader and plug that into the Windows computer.
Go to My Computer (or equivalent), locate the card and click on open, this puts you into the /boot section.

Open the file called config.txt with Windows Wordpad.

Scroll to the bottom of the text and add

dtoverlay=simple-bclk-64fs

Save and exit.

Remove the card from the computer correctly, put it back in the pi, boot the pi and select the kernel you wish to use from the relevant settings page .

You can also use a program called Putty to access the card via SSH whilst it is still in the pi, But the above way is easy and simple, if you wish to learn a little more, come back.

atb

Ronnie

Really thanks
I did above 2 days ago but when boot pi again I cannot connect to moode .
So I think I make mistake .
just now image write again and edit the config.txt ( I see only config file icon) boot and connected
so play music tonight

really thanks again.

Holzohren,

All digital volume controls affect the bits - whether it is an issue is debatable.
You would have to set the level to 50% to lose 1 bit, 85% is not a serious deficit.

Ian

I have connected my Raspberry 3 with HiFiBerry DAC + pro via RCA to my amplifier. To adjust the volume to other amps connected to the amplifier, I have set the Volume (ALSA) to 85% in MoOde Audio Player 3.7 under Audio Configuration.
Has this setting affects the bit rate of a HiRes file (for example 24bit / 96kHz only ~ 20 bit remaining) or only changes it the audible volume?
Thanks alot

Hi,

I don't quite understand your configuration and why you would set ALSA volume to 85%. ???

Are u using an external volume control (on your amp or preamp)?

-Tim
Hi Tim,

I want to adjust the volume for a direct listening comparison between LP and HiFiBerry. I'm not sure if the change of the volume (ALSA) synonymous the quality of the HiRes file changes.

Hi,

Some improvements to Source Config coming in moOde 3.8 ncluding quick Re-mount and Reset library cache.

The Re-mount function is useful in cases where NAS sources are offline when Pi is rebooted. Resetting the Library cache resolves the issue where the Library was opened before MPD update completed thus leaving the Library incomplete.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r38-src-config1.png
    moode-r38-src-config1.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 322
Missing metadata / tracks

Moode sounds amazing and remains the best piece of freeware I've paid for, but the library view appears to be dropping artists / albums that MPAD "sees" so I guess the tagging is Ok, I have >15000 tracks can that be an issue?

I'm quite happy using MPAD except I think the next IOS update will kill it off.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.PNG
    IMG_1349.PNG
    715.6 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1348.PNG
    IMG_1348.PNG
    312.1 KB · Views: 280
I am considering upgrading from RuneAudio to Moode on my Pi 2B. Could anyone help me with a few questions?

1. Is it compatible with the Behringer LCA202?

2. Could I mix the line level input of the LCA202 into the output from Moode?

I use the Pi as a phone controlled audio player in my boat. I would like to mix in audio from the VHF radio via the line in of the LCA202. I am hoping this is just a matter of making changes to mixer settings.

Thanks

I am considering upgrading from RuneAudio to Moode on my Pi 2B. Could anyone help me with a few questions?

1. Is it compatible with the Behringer LCA202?

2. Could I mix the line level input of the LCA202 into the output from Moode?

I use the Pi as a phone controlled audio player in my boat. I would like to mix in audio from the VHF radio via the line in of the LCA202. I am hoping this is just a matter of making changes to mixer settings.

Thanks

Can you do it with Rune?

If yes, then you should be able to do the same with Moode.

What you can mix with your unit should probably be addressed to the Behringer forums. To Moode, it will present as a 2-channel audio device, any other functions like mixing USB out with analog in would be outside of Moode.

Can you do it with Rune?

If yes, then you should be able to do the same with Moode.

The UCA202 worked fine with Rune and seems to work just as well with Moode.

What you can mix with your unit should probably be addressed to the Behringer forums. To Moode, it will present as a 2-channel audio device, any other functions like mixing USB out with analog in would be outside of Moode.

Is there a Behringer forum here that deals with Alsa mixing questions?

The UCA202 has a monitor function but I believe that is limited to the headphone port. I would like to mix the line level input with the Pi's audio then send it out through the optical output. I experience a ground loop issue whenever I use the line level output from the UCA202.

The UCA202 worked fine with Rune and seems to work just as well with Moode.

You misunderstood - can you do now, with Rune, what you are asking? 'Working fine' wasn't your inquiry - you are asking for a specific use case. Can you do that now with Rune? Essentially Rune and Moode use the same subsystems, so if you can do it with Rune, you should be able to do it with Moode.

Is there a Behringer forum here that deals with Alsa mixing questions?

Dunno. The 'diy' part of the forum name has always served me well when looking for support.

The UCA202 has a monitor function but I believe that is limited to the headphone port. I would like to mix the line level input with the Pi's audio then send it out through the optical output. I experience a ground loop issue whenever I use the line level output from the UCA202.

ALSA has nothing to do with it - you are outputting music you have decoded from a digital source, be that radio, NAS, USB, from the Pi to the UCA202 - the subsequent mixing of multiple UCA202 sources to an output, if any, is done outside of the Pi, and ALSA has no way of controlling that.

As I said before, the Behringer unit presents as an output device to Linux. It doesn't offer input channels to mix.

Last edited:
Tim, as always, I have been enjoying Moode greatly! Thanks for your continuous work.

I have a question that may go beyond the scope of Moode itself, but you may be able to point me in the right direction.

My DAC, in theory, is able to play at 16, 24 and 32 bits. As I reported earlier, it actually plays DSD through DoP perfectly! But inside Moode, ALSA only detects 16 and 32 bit options. 24 bits is not available to the OS and therefore MPD reports that it is outputting 32bits every time I play a 24 bit file, even the DSD files through DoP, which is weird as I assumed that DoP was done through 24 bits. Still, the DAC correctly understands the DSD.

So, is there a way to 'add' a 24 bit mode even if not detected, or this is Linux / Kernel issue? Perhaps it's a DAC issue?

Also, what is the inner procedure going on when a bit rate is not supported? Audio info inside Moode reads that the original file is 24 bits and the output is 32, but over sampling says 'none'. So in that scenario, who is doing the over sampling and how is it handling? Is it going through MPDs configuration of SoX or is it relaying on some other algorithms from ALSA directly in such cases?

Thanks for any insight! Best regards,
Rafa.

Hi Rafa,

I tested a DSD64 file with MPD set to DoP=yes and ALSA output was the expected 24/176.4K Note that the DAC I'm using is an I2S DAC that doesn't support DoP. Also I'm using a moOde 3.8 build that has MPD 0.20.9 compiled with only FFMPEG codecs.

You could try setting MPD logging to verbose and then look at the log to see if it shows in detail how the particular DSF file is processed.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r38-dop-dsd64.png
    moode-r38-dop-dsd64.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 362
Thanks! I was afraid my post would be useless, as I explained myself very poorly.

Let me rephrase:
The OS returns from: `cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0` only S32_LE and S16_LE.

But there are no traces of the S24_LE or S24_3LE that would allow outputing native 24bits.

So for EVERY FILE (not only DSDs) that has a bit rate higher than 16, MPD is playing at 32bits (obviously!).

My question was: I'm sure that my DAC actually supports 24 bits. So, is there a way to 'force' the OS to detect and / or output 24 bit audio and not 'upsample' to 32 bits?

If not, who is doing the 'upsampling' when playing a 24 bit file (again, not DSD)? Because in audio info the resampling reads 'no', yet the origin file is 24 bits but the output stream is 32 bits.

Hope I made myself clearer this time around, sorry for the confussion.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-06-28 15:40:30.png
    Screenshot from 2017-06-28 15:40:30.png
    221.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Hi Rafa,

Possibly ALSA thinks your DAC's USB receiver wants only 16 or 32 bit word length so 24 bit is zero-padded to 32-bit. This bit-padding does not change the original quantized value in the 24 bit word and the sample rate remains unchanged so no "resampling" is happening.

I'm not sure which component does the bit-padding but MPD verbose log might show something.

You can try forcing 24 bit word length by selecting "24 bit / * kHz" item in SoX resampling.

-Tim

Hi Rafa,

Possibly ALSA thinks your DAC's USB receiver wants only 16 or 32 bit word length so 24 bit is zero-padded to 32-bit. This bit-padding does not change the original quantized value in the 24 bit word and the sample rate remains unchanged so no "resampling" is happening.

I'm not sure which component does the bit-padding but MPD verbose log might show something.

You can try forcing 24 bit word length by selecting "24 bit / * kHz" item in SoX resampling.

-Tim

Just muckin about... I changed my sox resampling to 24/*, but when I checked the audio status it said it was decoding to 32-bit, something my IQ Audio digi-Amp+ doesn't handle - sounded fine, but I wonder if there's some calculation amiss?

Attachments

• IMG_0551.PNG
    IMG_0551.PNG
    446.6 KB · Views: 312
Yes, it appears the S24_LE and S24_3LE formats are rare within the DACs. I did find some mention of the zero-padding that Tim mentions (although not widely spread).

If that is the case, all is fine! DACs probably understand the zero padded words and everything is OK. I just wanted to make sure that all the effort to do bit-perfect was not being wasted on upsamling within ALSA and bypassing SoX. Otherwise,I would prefer to force everything to 32/*. But if it gets zero-padded, I prefer bit perfect and let the DAC do its thing! :)

Thanks!
Rafa.