Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Firstly Cracking job well done Tim.

My Build consists of Rpi3B, moode 3.5, Kali reclocker and IQaudio Pro driving two home designed and built 120watt class A mono blocks in dual differential mode (this is why i went for the iquadio pro dac).

Sound is simply awsome. however if i switch on any upsampling or use either advanced kernels the I get a very intermittent micro skip forwards about every 5 mins or so. this also happened with version 3.1.

I also note that with V3.5 the DAC output is now significantly higher than V3.1

on V3.1 my normal volume level was around 65. on V3.5 its now around 27.

Any Ideas ?..

Chris

I had the micro-skipping problem using the advanced kernel in 3.1 with Kali/Piano 2.1, but I'm not hearing it with 3.5. I'm using a Pi2b, Advanced-RT/Performance/FIFO, 24bit/*kHz upsampling, software volume.
I couldn't get the RT kernel to install on the Pi3.

John

Last edited:
Hi,

Its the back tick/quote (`) to the right of the 1 that causing the command to bomb.

Here is the string without setting Currier font.

sudo sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "update cfg_audiodev set kernel='' where id='1'"

-Tim

IT WORKS!

:D:D:D

I would like to thank everyone for the support and especially for the patience with the newbie here.
I have experience in other areas and sometimes it is difficult to help with "simple"

Thank you once again and excuse me for poor English.

Enjoying the music now!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had the micro-skipping problem using the advanced kernel in 3.1 with Kali/Piano 2.1, but I'm not hearing it with 3.5. I'm using a Pi2b, Advanced-RT/Performance/FIFO, 24bit/*kHz upsampling, software volume.

John

That's interesting - I had no problem setting up the realtime kernel on the Pi3.

One time it didn't work was due to our crappy adsl.

Thanks for the new version 3.5! Anyone else having challenges with Pi-Zero W wifi working in the advanced RT kernel?

In the release 3.5 notes found at http://moodeaudio.org/docs/relnotes.txt it says:

- NEW: Advanced Audio Kernels for armv6l
<and>
- NEW: Pi-Zero W support in Standard kernel

Does this mean Audio kernel works in advanced but Pi-Zero W support only in standard?

Does the Pi-Zero W wifi work with advanced kernels? If the answer is no, any suggestions on how do you interface? As always, thanks in advance for any discussion.

energyman

Thanks for the new version 3.5! Anyone else having challenges with Pi-Zero W wifi working in the advanced RT kernel?

In the release 3.5 notes found at http://moodeaudio.org/docs/relnotes.txt it says:

- NEW: Advanced Audio Kernels for armv6l
<and>
- NEW: Pi-Zero W support in Standard kernel

Does this mean Audio kernel works in advanced but Pi-Zero W support only in standard?

Does the Pi-Zero W wifi work with advanced kernels? If the answer is no, any suggestions on how do you interface? As always, thanks in advance for any discussion.

energyman

Hi,

Pi-0W only in Standard kernel for release 3.5 which is based on 4.4 Linux kernel branch.

When I'm able to rollout the 4.9.x Linux kernel in Standard and Advanced then 0W support across all kernels. Whats preventing this is issue #1949
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1949

-Tim

Hi,

I can send you the sources for 4.4.39 advanced kernel if you would like, but beyond that you would have to rebuild it on your own.

-Tim

Thank you for reply.

I'm sorry. It seems they were misunderstanding.
I thought that 4.4.50+ is the advanced kernel.
What is 4.4.50+ different from the original?
If the difference is only the configuration, I can do it myself.

John

I have read else where that Pi3 has some issues with micro-skipping. I might try and acquire a pi2 for testing as i don't need the wifi. did you notice the change in the volume levels between 3.1 and 3.5. I'm using the hardware vol control on my dac board.

Chris

I have read else where that Pi3 has some issues with micro-skipping. I might try and acquire a pi2 for testing as i don't need the wifi. did you notice the change in the volume levels between 3.1 and 3.5. I'm using the hardware vol control on my dac board.

Chris

Have you tried using software volume instead?
I noticed the volume difference, but I think it's just a relative change due to how the volume control works. The DAC will still give the 2v or so output at 100% volume.

m4a problem

Hi Tim,
Nice work and better sound !!
However I have a serious problem with Moode 3.5.

When I play .m4a files, after while soud is stopping and moode is likely to hang.
I have never experienced such a problem with Moode 3.1.
I try to change the kernel and other settings without success.
I upload the sample m4a file to repro the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8do789xczrw0h62/20160721.zip?dl=0

RPI3, PCM5122(Hifi DAC+) and other I2S DACs and drivers

Chris

I think your problem may be due to the fact that you cannot run the Kali with a DAC in 'master' mode. You can't use the Kali with any IQAudio DACS, as you cannot set them to run as 'slaves'.

Try removing the Kali from your setup to see if the problem goes away.

Hi Tim,
Nice work and better sound !!
However I have a serious problem with Moode 3.5.

When I play .m4a files, after while soud is stopping and moode is likely to hang.
I have never experienced such a problem with Moode 3.1.
I try to change the kernel and other settings without success.
I upload the sample m4a file to repro the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8do789xczrw0h62/20160721.zip?dl=0

RPI3, PCM5122(Hifi DAC+) and other I2S DACs and drivers

Hi,

I'll try to repro later this morning.

I see that the track is almost 90 minutes. How long before you experience the issue?

-Tim

Last edited:
Thank you Tim.
It will take a few minutes to 10 minutes to see the problem.

Hi,

The file played ok for me. I stopped after 1 hour 15 mins. See attached screen shots.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r35-mycat3-playback.png
    moode-r35-mycat3-playback.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 305
  • moode-r35-mycat3-library.png
    moode-r35-mycat3-library.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 289
  • moode-r35-mycat3-audioinfo.png
    moode-r35-mycat3-audioinfo.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 294
  • moode-r35-mycat3-mediainfo.png
    moode-r35-mycat3-mediainfo.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 283
I think your problem may be due to the fact that you cannot run the Kali with a DAC in 'master' mode. You can't use the Kali with any IQAudio DACS, as you cannot set them to run as 'slaves'.

I think the IQAudio DACs run in slave mode. I've used a IQAudio Pi-Dac Plus with Kali, but I had to supply it with 3.3v because Kali does not pass that through from the RPi.

Hi Tim,
I installed the new moode 3.5 version this morning and all went well until I tried creating a playlist. It does not appear to be saving the playlists I try to create, I must be doing something wrong.... Has anything changed from version 3.1 relating to how to create a playlist or a setup issue that could be leading to my struggles?
Thanks
Greg

Hi Tim,
I installed the new moode 3.5 version this morning and all went well until I tried creating a playlist. It does not appear to be saving the playlists I try to create, I must be doing something wrong.... Has anything changed from version 3.1 relating to how to create a playlist or a setup issue that could be leading to my struggles?
Thanks
Greg

This issue has already been noted, it's not you doing something wrong.
Otherwise I have found 3.5 to work flawlessly on my Pi3 with HiFiBerry Digi Pro.
However I note a problem with my USB WiFi used on a Pi B+, it worked fine in 3.1, but 3,5 doesn't appear to recognise it. The USB is a PiHut device which I understand is based on a the RTL RT 5370 chipset.
My Thanks again to Tim.
Ian

The problem does go away without the reclocker but resolution falls away as a result. their are no crystals on the iqaudio pro so how is it running in master mode ?. if it is in master mode is their a way to force it into slave mode (defiantly not afraid to wheeled the soldering iron around hehe) infact I had to link the 3.3v across the kali in order to get it working. the skipping does not happen with the standard kernel and no upsampling.

Hi Tim,
Thanks
Greg

Hi Greg,

As noted by @Backinblack, this is a bug in 3.5

So far 6 bugs have been reported, 5 of them are in Moode code and one looks like it may be a bug in MPD 0.20.6. I'll post a bugfix status later this week.

-Tim