Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hey Tim,
Is the ability to add an internet station logo along with a new station on your TODO list?
I hate having to bother you with adding logos as this is a relatively simple task for me to accomplish.

Hi Mark,

It is but it's dependent on having a way to easily save / restore user added stations and logos (and playlists, mod database, etc).

Email me and I'll send you the steps for adding a logo.

-Tim

The problem does go away without the reclocker but resolution falls away as a result. their are no crystals on the iqaudio pro so how is it running in master mode ?. if it is in master mode is their a way to force it into slave mode (defiantly not afraid to wheeled the soldering iron around hehe) infact I had to link the 3.3v across the kali in order to get it working. the skipping does not happen with the standard kernel and no upsampling.

Hi

As Jonners posted above, I was mistaken, in that the only reason you could not run an IQAudio DAC was because of the 3v3 passthrough, which you've solved. Apologies for any confusion:xeye:

Unable to access configuration screens

Just installed Moode 3.5. It took me a few tries but I finally managed to make the transition to wifi mode. I started adding SMB sources. After 3 directories I'm unable to access the add source panel. I started Moode with v 2.x so I've done this before. This install replaces v 3.1. I've had some rough spots with the setup but never encountered this problem. The database update is running. When I click on the link to add a source it eventually times out. I tried going to the other main config areas and am getting the same result. I've rebooted a couple of times with the same result.

Raspberry Pi 3, HiFiBerry Dac+, Samsung 64GB memory card for OS, freshly formatted with a virgin OS image for this install. The last 3 tries at installation used a fresh card.

Just installed Moode 3.5. It took me a few tries but I finally managed to make the transition to wifi mode. I started adding SMB sources. After 3 directories I'm unable to access the add source panel. I started Moode with v 2.x so I've done this before. This install replaces v 3.1. I've had some rough spots with the setup but never encountered this problem. The database update is running. When I click on the link to add a source it eventually times out. I tried going to the other main config areas and am getting the same result. I've rebooted a couple of times with the same result.

Raspberry Pi 3, HiFiBerry Dac+, Samsung 64GB memory card for OS, freshly formatted with a virgin OS image for this install. The last 3 tries at installation used a fresh card.

Hi,

The symptom suggests a possible issue in MPD 0.20.6.

After adding a NAS source, wait for the update to complete, then add the next one.

I'll try to repro having > three database updates going at once.

-Tim

Just noticed this , not sure if it has been reported.

I have my pi3 and I have turned off WiFi and Bluetooth as they are the spawn of Satan. This is ok with the standard kernel, when i switch to an advanced kernal the Moode SSID is visible again despite the UI saying wireless is disabled.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just noticed this , not sure if it has been reported.

I have my pi3 and I have turned off WiFi and Bluetooth as they are the spawn of Satan. This is ok with the standard kernel, when i switch to an advanced kernal the Moode SSID is visible again despite the UI saying wireless is disabled.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi,

Yes, reported earlier and I was able to repro.

Added to my bugfix list.

-Tim

Excellent job on 3.5, Tim. Thanks, enjoying it.

Before I wreck the china shop like the proverbial bull, is there a better way to add multiple wifi connections or can I tweak /etc/network/interfaces to use wpa_supplicant? Yes, I know, suck it and see, but I'm lazy...:D... so I thought I'd ask first.

Like many here I suppose, I mess around on a 'board' which has the latest experiment-in-search-of-closure (and a case to satisfy SWMBO). And I carry it between various locations. I'd set up a different distro with the various wifi credentials for multiple locations and so it just connected automatically wherever I went. Similar story for mounting the NAS at different locations - but I believe Moode does that one already. So, in pursuit of the lazy approach...

Can someone please answer this question - does Moode require USB flash drives to be manually un-mounted before insertion and removal - or is there a danger of file corruption?

If manual un-mounting is necessary, then maybe it is quicker to "shutdown" the RPi first?

Thank you. Rob

You will need to unmount the USB drive to prevent a possibility of corruption. Linux is not any different than most other operating systems in this regard. Chances of corrupting the USB drive are small, but unmounting is good O/S hygiene.

Unmounting the drive is not that difficult, you just need to determine where the USB drive has been mounted. As I'm unsure of your Linux experience, the broad strokes of this task are:
  • Determine where the USB drive is mounted using the mount command without any argument.
  • Use umount to unmount the USB drive from the mount point.

For example if the USB drive is mounted on /media/someUSBdrive, the umount command would be:
Code:
sudo umount /media/someUSBdrive

Hope this helps.
--
MT

You will need to unmount the USB drive to prevent a possibility of corruption. Linux is not any different than most other operating systems in this regard. Chances of corrupting the USB drive are small, but unmounting is good O/S hygiene.

Unmounting the drive is not that difficult, you just need to determine where the USB drive has been mounted. As I'm unsure of your Linux experience, the broad strokes of this task are:
  • Determine where the USB drive is mounted using the mount command without any argument.
  • Use umount to unmount the USB drive from the mount point.

For example if the USB drive is mounted on /media/someUSBdrive, the umount command would be:
Code:
sudo umount /media/someUSBdrive

Hope this helps.
--
MT

Hi Mark,

In moodeOS when a USB drive is unplugged it is automatically unmounted from /media directory and the "someUSBdrive" subdirectory is deleted. No need to manually umount. You can verify this by listing /media before and after a drive is unplugged.

Maybe an "Eject" setting that runs a sync command could be implemented but I haven't had any reports of USB drives becoming corrupted so never felt the need to do anything with sync.

-Tim

Hi Mark,

In moodeOS when a USB drive is unplugged it is automatically unmounted from /media directory and the "someUSBdrive" subdirectory is deleted. No need to manually umount. You can verify this by listing /media before and after a drive is unplugged.

Maybe an "Eject" setting that runs a sync command could be implemented but I haven't had any reports of USB drives becoming corrupted so never felt the need to do anything with sync.

-Tim

Thank you Tim, that's simple enough for me.

Any thoughts on the lack of a visual indicator for source scanning progress?

Rob

Thank you Tim, that's simple enough for me.

Any thoughts on the lack of a visual indicator for source scanning progress?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm not getting any reports similar to yours so maybe you could provide some context for example:

- what type of source (NAS, USB)
- UPDATE MPD DB or RESCAN MPD DB
- how many tracks in your collection, what audio format(s)
- first time update or add a few tracks then update

Does your collection actually appear in Browse and Library after update/rescan or are parts missing?

-Tim

Hi Rob,

I'm not getting any reports similar to yours so maybe you could provide some context for example:

- what type of source (NAS, USB)
- UPDATE MPD DB or RESCAN MPD DB
- how many tracks in your collection, what audio format(s)
- first time update or add a few tracks then update

Does your collection actually appear in Browse and Library after update/rescan or are parts missing?

-Tim

Tim, answers to your questions in order ...
- USB micro 128G
- I tried both UPDATE and RESCAN of MPD DB
- 3451 tracks, all in flac format
- Can't remember whether it happened on the first time update, but it does occur after adding tracks and updating.

Some more info ...
Moode = Release 3.5, 2017-04-12
moodeOS = Version 2.0 multi-kernel
HDWR REV = Pi-2B 1GB v1.1
SoC = BCM2709
CORES = 4
ARCH = armv7l
KERNEL = 4.4.39-rt59-moode2+
SCHED FREQ = 100 Hz
Warranty = OK

Thanks, Rob

Last edited:
Tim, answers to your questions in order ...
- USB micro 128G
- I tried both UPDATE and RESCAN of MPD DB
- 3451 tracks, all in flac format
- Can't remember whether it happened on the first time update, but it does occur after adding tracks and updating.

Some more info ...
Moode = Release 3.5, 2017-04-12
moodeOS = Version 2.0 multi-kernel
HDWR REV = Pi-2B 1GB v1.1
SoC = BCM2709
CORES = 4
ARCH = armv7l
KERNEL = 4.4.39-rt59-moode2+
SCHED FREQ = 100 Hz
Warranty = OK

Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

Do all the tracks in your collection show up in Browse and Library?

-Tim

Yes, everything shows up fine.
But I thought I read somewhere on the forum about waiting till the scan finishes before doing anything else in Moode.

And in answer to one of your previous questions, I do have several DSD and WAV tracks, but it wouldn't be more than 30.

Last edited:
Yes, everything shows up fine.
But I thought I read somewhere on the forum about waiting till the scan finishes before doing anything else in Moode.

Hi,

Couple of things:

1) If Library tab is opened before db update/rescan completes the Library cache will be incomplete. Rerunning db update/rescan and waiting till completion will fix this but its obviously very time consuming. I have a TODO list item to address this.

2) The spinner that appears on the Browse tab that indicates that db update/rescan process is running is generally a reliable indicator but in rare cases it just continues to appear even when the process has completed. In certain odd scenarios it will fail to appear and the update/rescan will have failed.

3) If the update/rescan completes quickly the spinner might not appear at all. This usually happens if the source is a locally attached USB disk and just a few albums are being added. This is OK.

After updating/rescanning its always best to verify the process by the Browse tab or the Library tab. The Library tab will show total number of tracks

Ideally a progress bar (%) indicator for database update/rescan should be implemented. I'll look into it.

-Tim

Hi,

After updating/rescanning its always best to verify the process by the Browse tab or the Library tab. The Library tab will show total number of tracks

Ideally a progress bar (%) indicator for database update/rescan should be implemented. I'll look into it.

-Tim

Many thanks Tim, I will wait for you to attend to this when you have time.

Once again, thank you so much for this fine piece of software, which sounds wonderful. :eek:

Rob