Nelson Pass M2

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Guinness: That would be great, although I'm happy to do it the other way around also; whatever's most convenient and/or cheapest. Maybe other people would be in too?

I'd still like to understand how to get boards done, though. What did I miss?

Best

Nigel

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
thought #1: Are the 6.35mm FastOn blade connectors at top (image 1 below), spaced far enough apart? Builders probably want enough blade-to-blade distance so they are able to use insulated female connectors (images 2 and 3) on the ends of the wires.

thought #2: Might want to investigate Blasphemous Heresy . Many DIY builders of M2 have found it indispensable.

_

I had to install spades on my old TeaBag M2's for this reason. I couldn't stand using flying leads.

Glad that M2X and now Prasi's M2 has spade connectors. They make connecting PSU's and speaker leads so much easier.

@Prasi: Super Layout! :cheers:
Thanks!

Hello Nigel,
I haven't tried oshpark, .....try jlcpcb or pcbway... they are professional and cheap, at the same time very very good quality pcb. (BTW there is indeed an outilne gerber file included in the zip, don't know why oshpark is complaining)...

If you need help with ordering, let me know and I will help out...
But I think some of USA members might be ordering , so you can get a couple from them at low cost.

Anand or Cody, can you help out Nigel if you are ordering?

regards
prasi

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks prasi. The oshpark site comes highly recommended by the electrical engineering department at the university where I work; I'm going to persist with them, and if it doesn't work out I'll look into the sites you suggested. I'm going to send oshpark email and see whether a human can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Their boards are pretty cheap; if I understand correctly three boards are $4.95, which is two channels plus a spare I probably don't need, but you never know. (They are also a cool purple colour.) So that would be three complete sets for <$10. (I presume shipping is extra.) I

Guinness: sending you a PM.

Best

Nigel

Thanks for this, prasi, it looks really cool.

It's also the perfect solution to what to do with two really nice heatsinks I have that are too narrow to fit the UMS boards. I have a few old (genuine) 2SK170 and 2SJ74, so I think this is next up on my list.

I have never sent gerbers to get them fabricated. I colleagues recommended oshpark.com, but when I tried to send the files you posted to get a couple boards made (I hope that was OK) the site complained that there was no "board outline file". Is this something we do ourselves, in kicad or somewhere, from the files you posted? Or have I misunderstood something?

Best

Nigel

OSHPark site only complain about outline?
Try to rename outline file inside ZIP file to outline.gbr and try again.

hello rainfallsky,
oh is that the issue?
my software generates as outline.gml , attached , (look footer for file name). never had issues with any of board-houses I tried, except maybe drills outside outline ...

I think this is site script issue.
Sometimes I adapt downloaded gerbers to something like this:
top.gbr (top copper layer)
bottom.gbr (bottom copper layer)
top_silk.gbr (top silk screen)
top_mask.gbr (top solder mask)
bottom_mask.gbr (bottom solder mask)
outline.gbr (board outline)
Through.drl (drill template)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Yes, I looked again and oshpark is per sq. in. (I guess I never got to the end of the online rpocess, so I didn't get a precise quote.)

I've already written and queried what wasn't working so I'll wait and see what they have to say.

Guiness: did you get my PM?

Send me a PM if you are interested (don't post here as to keep the thread clean).
2oz Copper / ENIG gold Finish (for nice level SMD soldering)
2mm Board thickness

Cost w/ their shipping breaks down to around 15bucks a pair
FYI - I didn't order a large qty (not a group buy ;) )

Thanks again to Prasi

Last edited:
I just got the boards and they turned out nice. TEKO cover fits nicely
80mmx80mm mounting version
PM if you would like a pair (I have enough for 15 or so amps)

Attachments

• M2-Front.jpg
    M2-Front.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • M2-Back.jpg
    M2-Back.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 552
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 548