DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Thank you!
So x6 vs x5 in front end and then some losses.
VFET must have a bit more losses than M2X to make of for the 10 dB vs 14 dB gain.

I was thinking of using my M2X amps to drive the bas speakers and use VFET to drive mid and tweeter. But then there is a little bit of gain difference.

Maybe "blasphemous" to use M2X for that purpose.
I assume that below 180 Hz class A does not make much sense?

NP and Mr MR have previously pointed out that as followers the Sony parts have negative gain. In the article NP says "it has significant voltage loss as a follower". I haven't read anywhere what the loss is, but in some LTspice sims I did, 1 volt IN got me about .6 volt OUT. Not sure if that is an accurate figure in this case though....that seems a bit high compared to the measured overall gain compared the transformer gain in this amp.

@Meper, I have been thinking in similar terms, The VFET (once I get the time to build it) on my JBL075/Altec 1505B/299 horns (passive filter on JBL tweeter and run 1505B/299 down to ca. 500Hz), M2 or Sissy on the Altec 828/515C (down to somewhere between 120-60hz. Need to find a good solution there) and then a big class D on my two JBL2242H in soon to be modified Altec 620 cabinet clones. Ample opportunities for failure but also potential for a spectacular result. :)
Today I'm using passive filters on the Altecs VOTs and no bass support. Sounds great with FW amps. But why not try to reach for more :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was always thinking about simplest possible arrangement, I mean only that one being simple enough to not disturb my laziness :

say that I have OB with Tannoy 15" up (xovered full range, no high pass on bass section) and Beyma 15" as bass helper

say that I'm driving Tannoy with nice 10W amp

then F4, fed from previous amp output, driving bass helper

manipulation of F4 level easy

in the end, I'm driving all that with nice 10W amp, being lazy to haul F4 to even try

:clown:

I am fine-tuning speaker placement and listening position after I re-organized the listening room. So I need to get this into place with M2X amps before I switch to VFET. I have these RCA splitters and the crossovers are prepared for bi-wire / bi-amp. Now I only bi-wire. But tempting to try out how bi-amp would work. M2X is better to drive low impedance than VFET (I assume) and the 15" woofers has a dip to about 4 ohm (else impedance curve is nice around 6 ohm). The preamp in use in the moment is SSII and this amp should have no problems driving both amps as SSII is made for driving headphones.

Attachments

• DSC_1602_00001.jpg
    DSC_1602_00001.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC_1603_00001_01.jpg
    DSC_1603_00001_01.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC_1604_00001.jpg
    DSC_1604_00001.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 374
Thank you!
Yes, the filter is the 1. grade version of Troels Gravesen OBL-15 speaker crossover. The two filters are maybe like $1000......or so in components.

I will try first without any adjustments and listen how it sounds.
To adjust levels I could maybe insert a passive preamp between preamp and M2X. I have a 24 stepped 10k Goldpoint attenuator in my passive pre. A simple voltage divider could maybe also do it......?

Another wilder suggestion......I have two SSII preamps. The preamps has high input impedance so I could just use two of them so my Bluesound Node 2i (with upgraded PSU :) ) could drive both SSII.....but not easy to adjust levels when it is a pot instead of a stepped attenuator where I could just count "clicks".

I had a beautiful coffee table of a similar size, and it ruined the sound due to reflections from the top.
Listen and then move it, or at least cover it with a wool rug etc. for testing. You can instead have a
table on one side of the listening chair/couch.