The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Twirl the knob of RV1 whichever direction makes the voltmeter reading smaller. Your goal is to find a setting which makes the meter read zero

... ... ...

Both of my IPS6 boards will "approach" 2 volts when setting up as above. Not sure if I have a bad resistor value, or installed a transistor backwards. I will get the magnifying glass out. Any suggestions would be great. I have not been brave enough to put sound through them.

Sounds like a problem either with a JFET or with R3 or R4.

You can move the probes and measure the voltage across R3 --- it's between TP1 and VCC. Both of those are probe-able.

You can also move the probes and measure the voltage across R4 -- it's between TP2 and VCC. Both of those are probe-able.

If either (voltage across R3) or (voltage across R4) is very low, below 0.5 volts, it means little or no current is flowing. That would be good information to know when diagnosing the problem.

OR, since you're part of the free-PCBs-for-eager-immediate-builders program, just mail me the boards and I'll repair them. Include $6 worth of currency in the package to pay for return postage so I can send them back.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I put up my stuff today, and just listened with IPS7 and LME48720. I decided to take a break for a bit, and it’s been a busy call weekend. Did not change out the opamps.

Next time I get a block of time, I’ll look over the boards, and try to probe those resistors. Thanks Mark, I might end up taking advantage of that offer.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Free PCBs for IPS6 and IPS7 through October 31

I just placed a re-order of IPS6 and IPS7 PCBs, the snazzy looking ones with black fiberglass and gold ("ENIG") traces. I'm eager to give these away for free, following the outline written in post #3416 of this thread.

Numerous members have already taken advantage of this offer, which is why I placed a re-order: to supply the demand for the rest of this month. I bought fifty more of each type, and got an excellent price thanks to quantity discount and combined shipping. Woo!

Happy DIYing,

-Mark

Hi, Pedro. The length of the M2X PCB is 25.5 cm.
But there is another thing to consider - magnetic interference from the power toroid to the Edcors. Distance here is your best friend. So, the longer the chassis, the better. 30 cm of chassis length could be enought, but 40 cm would be much better. And the minimum internal width you should have is about 25 cm, but again - 35 cm internal width (without the heatsinks) is what you want probably.

Hi, Pedro. The length of the M2X PCB is 25.5 cm.
But there is another thing to consider - magnetic interference from the power toroid to the Edcors. Distance here is your best friend. So, the longer the chassis, the better. 30 cm of chassis length could be enought, but 40 cm would be much better. And the minimum internal width you should have is about 25 cm, but again - 35 cm internal width (without the heatsinks) is what you want probably.

Thanks for the information. I will take this in consideration. The main principle: Bigger=better (at least in this case :D).

Best regards.
Pedro.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Need to borrow someones magic secret

Soldering those 131xxx and 132xxx connectors to the boards and getting them straight for a multi swap fit is a PITA. Getting them set with the daughter board closely colocated over the main board and holding them in position is a real art. The pins have "rounded" corners on them so they don't just fit square.

What is the secret to getting these things soldered in square the first time.

Thanks,
Don

Well, I don't need any special stuff to change the boards cause they are right there... Also, I think this is the first case of mono or any build for that matter with flying leads on the M2... Been listening for about 4hrs and grinning like a fool. Also, no need to do anything with shielding around the Edcor... there is no hum.

I guess a pic is the best way...

How sexy are these ladies!! :) Listening to MTN right now with Mavis Staples. IF you don't know who Mavis is, you need to do a search. :p

Attachments

• 20201007_174322.jpg
    20201007_174322.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 20201007_175604.jpg
    20201007_175604.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Ac Infinity

Thanks AB.. Those displays actually come with fans, which I didn't need, but hell, cooler is better right? :redhot:

Amazon.com: AC Infinity AIRPLATE T8 PRO, Quiet Cooling Dual-Fan System 6" with Thermostat Control, for Home Theater AV Cabinets: Industrial & Scientific

I milled some stuff to put the probe close to the chip... if anyone really cares, I'll take a shot of it for you.

I have two M2X running cooler than the human body... lmao

I need to make a couple more tests, but I think the numbers are solid.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Well, I don't need any special stuff to change the boards cause they are right there... Also, I think this is the first case of mono or any build for that matter with flying leads on the M2... Been listening for about 4hrs and grinning like a fool. Also, no need to do anything with shielding around the Edcor... there is no hum.

I guess a pic is the best way...

How sexy are these ladies!! :) Listening to MTN right now with Mavis Staples. IF you don't know who Mavis is, you need to do a search. :p

Thanks JT, I think you solved my problem. It's plan B.:D

Don