Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2019, 01:41 AM   #1571
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry Brian for my tardy reply to your …

Sounds interesting. Since the Loki uses an external 16VAC transformer and an internal regulated LM317/LM337 bipolar supply, how did you implement a linear supply? Did you hack the PCB?

I just replaced the external supply with an AMB Sigma 22 and spot soldered to the output of the LM reg chips - not exactly the best engineering, I know - I wasn't expecting much change as it's a really well thought out little design (not simple at all, actually) but I was hoping to add a little more 'body' and get rid of that slightly 'thin' sound but this is about the limits of my electronics competency.

I did look at playing with that 1662 chip but decided to leave things well alone (quite limited electronics competency) as the device isn't intended to be a resurrected 'Cello' - it'll be interested to see what you make of it, particularly with the ';Whammy' amp.

My 'Whammy' uses a set of quite compact thru hole component diy boards, uses the Burson V6 classic on input, and it runs at about 120mA on the output transistors via the AMB Sigma 22 power supply driving the HE 500 headphones (with ViaBlue mike cable for leads) - analogue signal is via the Ayre QB-9 dac - you can see I'm a bit of a 'fiddler'!
Old 18th August 2019, 07:14 AM   #1572
cubicincher is offline cubicincher  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default to HatlessChimp #1569

Hello HatlessChimp,

I would cut the loop around your RCAs (possible ground loop). Will not necessarily be bad as you did.

I marked the pic where I would cut / break.

Greets
Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedScreenshot_20190817-191656_Gallery_LI.jpg (639.4 KB, 358 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 07:18 AM   #1573
HatlessChimp is offline HatlessChimp
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicincher View Post
Hello HatlessChimp,

I would cut the loop around your RCAs (possible ground loop). Will not necessarily be bad as you did.

I marked the pic where I would cut / break.

Greets
Dirk
Yeah just had a friend offline say the same. He said I should star ground them all in the middle of them with a 1nf 100v kemet ceramic cap each. Just tested it and sounds pretty damn good. Can't hear any hum till I turn the amp to unlistenable levels. But that's not the point will surely improve with like you said. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks20190818_160604.jpg20190818_160612.jpg20190818_160557.jpg
Old 18th August 2019, 07:30 AM   #1574
cubicincher is offline cubicincher  Germany
diyAudio Member

My experience with hum or groundloops - try and error.
I often test it with a few cables and crocodile clamps what is the best
grounding. Star grounding is - most often - a good solution.

Enjoy your WHAMMY!
I have built two WHAMMYs. I like them a lot!!!

Greets
Dirk
Old 18th August 2019, 08:13 AM   #1575
HatlessChimp is offline HatlessChimp
diyAudio Member

Up and running as pre amp in the video. Works great as either. Thank you all for a great headphone amp. Now to buy a Burson Vivid V6 opamp! "WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
YouTube
Old 18th August 2019, 08:51 AM   #1576
emacs is offline emacs
diyAudio Member

Dear Cubicincher,

your method like zobel circuit.
Old 18th August 2019, 09:42 AM   #1577
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osscar View Post
I often use these switches - I've never had a problem. But someone told me about an internal short circuit when mains burns PSU through led wires...
Good layout.

Clear separation of power circuit and small signal circuit.
Including placement of pot, output socket and power switch.

Examplary. 👍

Patrick

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSSCAR Whammy.jpg (391.9 KB, 347 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 10:26 AM   #1578
Gaz2613 is offline Gaz2613  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicincher View Post
Hello labjr,

I tried different voltages on my WHAMMY-prototyp before the official pcb
came out. I have built a regulated PSU very similar to Waynes design.
I used the 'oldtimers' LM317 / LM337 to make the voltage adjustable. You can
see the blue trimmers on the photo.
My opinion is: it was very difficult for me to hear a difference in the sound
depending on the rail voltage. I tried between +-15 to +- 17.8 volts (depending on the opamp). But i am pretty sure you can measure a difference.

But I could hear a big difference in using different opamps at the inputstage.
Every opamp had its own 'character'.
And I am a friend of high rail voltages.

But that is my experience. Yours can be different.

My opinion is: build the WHAMMY and try it. You will like it.
And try different opamps....

Greetings from Dirk
Hi is there any chance you could help me with the adjustable PSU please? Do you have a gerber or schematic you are willing to share please? I am looking to do the same based on CRCRC but with adjustable voltage output via trimpots.

Regards
Old 26th August 2019, 07:15 AM   #1579
slowpogo is offline slowpogo  United States
diyAudio Member

I got the Burson V6 Vivid op amp for my WHAMMY. It's expensive, but it's also clearly better than any of the others I've tried. The others seem to add their own subtle character, but the V6 is more like lifting the veil to a very clear, balanced and musical sound. I liked it right away but apparently it's a little hard sounding when brand new, and gets more relaxed and liquid sounding over time. Is it worth spending $70 vs $10 for some of the nicer standard op amps? That's a personal call I guess, but I'm happy I bought it.

I've built the WHAMMY and the NuHybrid recently. What other current DIY headphone amp projects would people recommend?
Old 26th August 2019, 03:55 PM   #1580
avdesignguru is offline avdesignguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpogo View Post
I've built the WHAMMY and the NuHybrid recently. What other current DIY headphone amp projects would people recommend?
I recommend the T2, although it has lower gain than either the WHAMMY or the NuHybrid. You can see if Mark Johnson is willing to sell you a board or wait until it hits the diyAudio store. Here's the link to the T2 forum:

Single ended class-A headphone amp using two transistors: T2

Also, you may want to consider correcting the output polarity of the NuHybrid. The tube inverts the signal an its way through and I, for one, can hear the difference. I corrected my NuHybrid by using Jensen input transformers with the primary leads reversed. Keep in mind you will need to add the damping network shown in the Jensen data sheet if your input pot is larger than 10K ohms. Another worthwhile mod is to set up the NuTube biasing similar to the B1Korg. This is done by changing the plate resistors to 332K and setting the plate voltage at 9.75VDC.

Jensen JT-11P-1 Line Input Transformer

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!