Build This MoFo!

Is the gate capacitance directly reflected at the input of the mofo or the choke reduce it? 2800pf at 20khz is near 3kohm reactance. My dac likes min 5k.
Maybe should I go with irfp240 as I need only 2w output
Don't worry, neither mosfet will give your dac any problem. As clearly explained by Papa himself here, measured effective input capacitance of IRFP240 is ~75pf when used as source follower. Hence, choosing IRFP240 for a 2W output is perfectly valid.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
MoFo as Headphone Amp.

I connected my 55ohm OB-1's to the MoFo. Again, driven with the Aksa-Lender pre. Holy smokes, this amp can really kick it up on headphones! Very quiet, silent when no music playing. I calculate that it is capable of driving 1.8W rms into a 50ohm load if needed. The sound is very very good on a headphone. Even complex and loud speed metal sounds great.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MoFo-HPA.jpg
    MoFo-HPA.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 1,462
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
10K as gate stoppers ............ well , that even goes before my dislike of ECC83 for signals greater than mic level

hope that's mistake of person drawing that schematic ... though I've seen even bigger stupidities in HiEnd gadgets

...... and - after some searching through my files , I see same 10K value on 3 different versions/sources of same schm

what to say more ....

Since the subject of gate stoppers has come up, I have a question about R2, 221 ohms. When I build tube amps I would normally use a carbon composition resistor which is non-inductive as grid stopper on a tube. Since I am not knowledgeable about transistors, is a metal film or carbon film ok on the gate of a mosfet?

ray

10K as gate stoppers ............ well , that even goes before my dislike of ECC83 for signals greater than mic level

hope that's mistake of person drawing that schematic ... though I've seen even bigger stupidities in HiEnd gadgets

...... and - after some searching through my files , I see same 10K value on 3 different versions/sources of same schm

what to say more ....

the engineer commented the same error on other brand amplifiers

Attachments

• pathos.jpg
    pathos.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,132
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since the subject of gate stoppers has come up, I have a question about R2, 221 ohms. When I build tube amps I would normally use a carbon composition resistor which is non-inductive as grid stopper on a tube. Since I am not knowledgeable about transistors, is a metal film or carbon film ok on the gate of a mosfet?

ray

On some locations in a circuit it makes a measurable (and possibly audible difference). I would not have believed it until I searched for the culprit that made H3 climb higher than H2 on my amp. In the critical feedback resistor, a carbon film vs metal thick film reduced H3 relative to H2. It’s not about thermal effects because I made a series parallel out of same metal thick film and effect is intrinsic to the material.

Initial discovery:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ender-preamp-40vpp-output-13.html#post5247095

Study of whether thermal or intrinsic effect:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...ender-preamp-40vpp-output-19.html#post5251105

But for gate stoppers probably not a difference. However, I always use carbon film if given a choice where it’s not critical to have ppm stability of metal thin film.