What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

I always like the idea to make everything simple, i read somewhere that if volume pot is fed with higher input like more than 5V is not good. once I had tkd 2cp65 which I thought as ultimate volume control but after long reading that idea was abandoned, sold it and just use tkd carbon. Thats why I always try to look at several options to get extra gain from preamp, with pllxo biamp I have already lost some headroom. Luminaria is the option now with parts is ready to be soldered.

but this thread is very interesting, which brought me to Slagle AVC which looks interesting. my AD1865 dac with srrp has 2.4V output and I have unused sowter 9762, and another AN dac red pcb that i have populated but too lazy to reworked existing dac. I might put sowter and use parallel tap and match with Slagle of 8V input capability, and I might not need another active gain stage :D

is this good option to pursue with 8V dac output + avc? is buffer before avc really required?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I always like the idea to make everything simple, i read somewhere that if volume pot is fed with higher input like more than 5V is not good. once I had tkd 2cp65 which I thought as ultimate volume control but after long reading that idea was abandoned, sold it and just use tkd carbon. Thats why I always try to look at several options to get extra gain from preamp, with pllxo biamp I have already lost some headroom. Luminaria is the option now with parts is ready to be soldered.

but this thread is very interesting, which brought me to Slagle AVC which looks interesting. my AD1865 dac with srrp has 2.4V output and I have unused sowter 9762, and another AN dac red pcb that i have populated but too lazy to reworked existing dac. I might put sowter and use parallel tap and match with Slagle of 8V input capability, and I might not need another active gain stage :D

is this good option to pursue with 8V dac output + avc? is buffer before avc really required?

tube SRPP ?

for proper drive of AVC you need cojones , and tube SRPP is not having them

however - buffer and Slagle AVC (fed to -6db point , old type , not modern ones with two switches)

It is better to use low noise and low losses C-core like F3CC or AMCC :)

any tips for source of these ?

@ZM

yes tube srrp, its look like AN dac2.1, previously i wanted to pursue on building AN dac4 but building several class a is more interesting.

if i understand correctly, i still need buffer and I can put Slagle on buffer output without any need of passive volume pot before buffer, correct? I'm using dcb1 now, you use k170/j74 as source follower, any hint the difference with dcb1?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
stopped following buffer threads long ago , so remind me - dcb1 is direct coupled B1 , meaning of first iteration B1 , with 2 x 2SK170 ?

regarding Rout , complementary JFet buffer is superior , having half Rout , vs. noncomplementary one .... and for drive of chunk of iron , every Ohm is important

also , THD spectra is ......... matter of taste

try dcb1 , so - signal source , dcb1 to AVC , tapped to tap which will give you desired gain

regular pot is redundant .......

if you like what you hear , you can try other type(s) of buffer

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member