What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Installed my first, trial buffer between SOEKRIS DAC and Slagle autoformer attenuator and it works!

Absolutely silent and seems to give a little gain compared to the other channel. Just to get a baseline and to make sure this would work I used the onboard bridge with a 36 vct transformer right next to SHUNTIE and this would work fine if I did not intend to use this same setup for phono - I worry that the transformer being where it is would probably not work with the phono since it would radiate into the phono cartridge. I am going to assemble a outboard raw supply so I can use this same raw supply for both SHUNTIEs along with being able to move the transformers a few feet away. For this I am using two 24 volts transformers (HAMMOND split bobbin) and I have a small choke which I will use for choke input (300mA/8.2R) on each (of course).

As expected bass response is much firmer and more powerful. Was concerned I might lose something in the other ranges and that is not the case.

Now to install the other channel and the second buffer to drive the autoformers for gain in the J2. Now both autoformers will be fed from a low output impedance.

No trouble getting zero offset. I guess one must thank DIYaudio store for the matched FETs and I do think I gained something from using the TEXAS COMPONENTS trimmers. These things are in another class from the usual trimmer and worth the expense in a circuit so simple where every component is important.

I think this concept is brilliant, simple and elegant.

Thanks, ZM.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Installed my first, trial buffer between SOEKRIS DAC and Slagle autoformer attenuator and it works!

Absolutely silent and seems to give a little gain compared to the other channel. Just to get a baseline and to make sure this would work I used the onboard bridge with a 36 vct transformer right next to SHUNTIE and this would work fine if I did not intend to use this same setup for phono - I worry that the transformer being where it is would probably not work with the phono since it would radiate into the phono cartridge. I am going to assemble a outboard raw supply so I can use this same raw supply for both SHUNTIEs along with being able to move the transformers a few feet away. For this I am using two 24 volts transformers (HAMMOND split bobbin) and I have a small choke which I will use for choke input (300mA/8.2R) on each (of course).

As expected bass response is much firmer and more powerful. Was concerned I might lose something in the other ranges and that is not the case.

Now to install the other channel and the second buffer to drive the autoformers for gain in the J2. Now both autoformers will be fed from a low output impedance.

No trouble getting zero offset. I guess one must thank DIYaudio store for the matched FETs and I do think I gained something from using the TEXAS COMPONENTS trimmers. These things are in another class from the usual trimmer and worth the expense in a circuit so simple where every component is important.

I think this concept is brilliant, simple and elegant.

Thanks, ZM.

didn't replied to your last few emails , intending to do it properly
but , as pretty often , was in mess of work/time , resulting in lack of brain power ...... well , even more than usual :rofl:

wakoo Dane , find me those cores , you were always good in detective work :)

so quiet here, little time for spam :)

with all that meditation about iron I was encouraged to add my good old Lundahl LL1933 MC stepups to my Tube Phono. The Phono has enough gain for MC itlself, my former Pickup was a MM and I was just to lazy to try the step ups out with the new MC and just pumped up the active gain .
The second thing was, formerly i was too stupid to load the stepups in a right way (wich seems to do nothing and let the 47kR MM input with the stepup scaling/transforming that down). Formerly i switched additionaly to a MC load (400 Ohms or so) and wasn´t that much convinced : )

Wow, the trbl trbls so much nicer, i´m in love now with iron and ready to follow blind :cool:

(maybe i´m just to lazy to make my 24step TVC and waste a little iron benfit with a pot)