Silent Transformers in Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can recommend Induktive Bauteile wie Ringkerntransformatoren, Ringkerndrosseln, Induktive Bauelemente, Bauteile If you call them/ drop them a mail and describe what you want for what matter, they recommend you the right thing. They are actually not the cheapest, but deliver good quality. And they know their stuff.

Say, that you want it for audio and that you're nuts. And you are afraid of a humming transformator. Ask for a shielded screen and whatsoever. And ask him, if this or that gimmick will do the trick (he is a realist and engineer, not a salesman, and this will give you a giggle).

I have got some smaller trafos for preamps, a friend of mine and a bigger bunch of members of analog-forum.de for power amps, and they are doing fine, if you do your homeworks with prober grounding and rectifiing.

A good thing is to have a isolating transformer in front of all your stuff. Mine works fine, and it (from mueller-rondo) is dead silent, even if all other transformators in the house (non-audio) are doing noises as hell.

Regards
Matthias

Why not consider a switching supply? Regulated, hum free, inexpensive (particularly surplus ones). Don't get hot. Their noise is well above audio frequencies.

As an old RF engineer, I can assure you that it is best to have noise sources be higher in frequency than where you operate. WORST frequencies to have noise and ripple are in-band or below frequency (like, oh, say 50, 60, 100 or 120Hz! -about the worst freqs you could pick for audio equipment!).

Hi,

I finally managed to put a new toroid in one of my Aleph-X.
It even fitted without machining the heatsinks.

First impressions are very good. I can only hear some noise with my ear against the case.

Here are some pics of the old and new toroids.
You can see the new ones are much smaller although rated 800VA against 600VA for the old ones.
I didn´t put the DC filter back in you can see in the second pic and noticed I´ve got some 0,22R resistors on the primaries (directly at the 230V socket).

I probably can remove them too.

William

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    890.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 249
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.