Luminaria?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've been wanting to play around with MR's SIT applet, so used the opportunity to make these models of 2SK78B and 2SK79. Kinda fun, actually :) I've also included the datasheets for each.

Attachments

• 2SK78B.txt
    657 bytes · Views: 78
  • K78B-278B.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 2SK79.txt
    652 bytes · Views: 81
  • 2SK79_data.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 83

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I redid the bias supply and made some other changes. Got the 60 Hz ripple down too. It is sounding quite good now. The imaging is other worldly. I get why Mike named it LuminAria (lit from within). Will build a buffer next.

In the process of tweaking, I put the drain voltage on the gate, and one of the devices is mostly toast. It produces sound, but very weak. 100V between G-S is a bit much even for these stealthy devices. I am absolutely hating myself for that mistake. I wonder if it is possible to salvage the part. I made some resistance measurements: gate to drain or source is open, but D-S measures <1 ohm, whereas the good ones measure >1 ohm.

While I had a quad of 2sk82, I am now down to just one extra. I have a few of the Tokin devices, but I am looking to buy a few more of these preamp-suitable devices. Is the KP926 the best option right now from a price and availability POV?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry to hear about your wiring issue. I had one recently with my THF-51S but it was a reversal of voltage to drain and source, and the device survived. Unfortunately high voltage Vgs is a much worse situation.

I started experiments with a KP926B common source choke loaded voltage gain stage recently and it seems that the KP926B is not a drop-in for a Sony VFET. First I tried high voltage low current with fixed bias and mu was around 30. I switched to source bias and mu drop to around 20. Output impedance was very high at around 4000 Ohms. I then changed to lower voltage and higher current and mu went back up but output impedance dropped to around 400 Ohms.

Then my lab power supply malfunctioned so now I am waiting for parts so that I can attempt to fix it. :(

I have four KP926Bs and their Vgs are varied. My experiments so far have been with the one with the lowest Vgs. I may have to do some manual curve tracing and learn how to create a Spice model and do some LTSpice simulations.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry to hear about your wiring issue. I had one recently with my THF-51S but it was a reversal of voltage to drain and source, and the device survived. Unfortunately high voltage Vgs is a much worse situation.

I started experiments with a KP926B common source choke loaded voltage gain stage recently and it seems that the KP926B is not a drop-in for a Sony VFET. First I tried high voltage low current with fixed bias and mu was around 30. I switched to source bias and mu drop to around 20. Output impedance was very high at around 4000 Ohms. I then changed to lower voltage and higher current and mu went back up but output impedance dropped to around 400 Ohms.

Then my lab power supply malfunctioned so now I am waiting for parts so that I can attempt to fix it. :(

I have four KP926Bs and their Vgs are varied. My experiments so far have been with the one with the lowest Vgs. I may have to do some manual curve tracing and learn how to create a Spice model and do some LTSpice simulations.

Did you see the kp926 preamp thread? Seems like lower Vgs and Vds relative to the 2sk82 but iverall topology is the same.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I have seen it. The last operating point that I tried was about 55Vds and 150mA, but really high mu and high output impedance. The only difference was I choke loaded instead of resistor loaded. The KP926B that I used ran at lower Vgs to achieve the operating point.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Are there any left, ZM? Especially for preamps?

tons

with some wit, one can use plethora of types in plethora of configurations

what I like most (lazy bstrd, choosing easiest) is 6DJ8 (7DJ8) and similar ones - having moderate Mu, lowish Rp and, most important, decent xconductance

you can do tons with part having amplification in range of 30

but, really, getting lazy with age ...... most of my fun with tubes nowadays is just to laugh at Kosher constructions ........ and :worship: when I see thinking out of box

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, I have seen it. The last operating point that I tried was about 55Vds and 150mA, but really high mu and high output impedance. The only difference was I choke loaded instead of resistor loaded. The KP926B that I used ran at lower Vgs to achieve the operating point.

Good to know! I might also experiment with this part. You can throw an FET source follower on the output, similar to the input buffer on the LuminAria. The buffer will provide high input impedance and low output impedance. Works like a charm and doesn’t add any of its own sound.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
tons

with some wit, one can use plethora of types in plethora of configurations

what I like most (lazy bstrd, choosing easiest) is 6DJ8 (7DJ8) and similar ones - having moderate Mu, lowish Rp and, most important, decent xconductance

you can do tons with part having amplification in range of 30

but, really, getting lazy with age ...... most of my fun with tubes nowadays is just to laugh at Kosher constructions ........ and :worship: when I see thinking out of box

Oh, you meant tubes. Yes, for sure. Lots of triodes there. Here’s one, though it is pretty obscure :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 391
Joined 2012
Paid Member
ra7, I am trying to avoid a buffer at the output, but it is an option.

The big issue with me is that I want a voltage gain stage between my Luminaria and my follower amps, and the mu of the KP926B is much more than I want or need. I don't want to replace the Luminaria with a low distortion high gain preamp. The Luminaria has enough voltage output for my usual listening sound levels but it does not have enough voltage output to clip my THF-51S mu follower amp. I don't really need another voltage gain stage but this is a hobby so it is something to do that occupies my time and brain.

Still more experimenting to do.

I have tubes too, but that is the past.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Originally I tried fixed bias with a negative power supply and the gain was high, around 30, so I switched to a source resistor for less gain.

When I switched from high voltage low current to a lower voltage higher current operating point, I changed the load choke to accommodate the higher current. The new choke had lower DCR but with the higher current, the source resistor value went down. It ended up with higher gain at this operating point.

The particular KP that I was using needed a low Vgs so the resistor value wasn't very big. I will try a different KP that requires higher Vgs and larger value source resistor.

Also the more I think about it, the less that I like the idea of making an output buffer that can handle a 25Vrms signal to deal with the high output impedance.

Perhaps the smartest thing for me to do is to choose a device that is more suited to my needs rather than trying to force it. But at least I learned a few things about the KP926B. :)

How's the kitchen Michael?

I hope that doesn't come across as hassling you as that's not my intention, just curious about the prospect of a SIT-based preamp while I work on my SissySIT and 2SK180 follower projects (for which I'll have a 2P29L tube preamp).

Thanks

Just wondering if this has made it into the oven yet Michael?

As ZM would say - Greedy Boyz!

Cheers

Sadly, my day jobs leaves me only an hour or two a week to tinker and I don't think I'll get to this one before the holidays. :)

Having said that, it's just a choke-loaded CS stage, with perhaps a 120V B+, self-biased around 20-30mA.

Thanks Michael, I understand that, rather surprisingly, there are things more important than audio projects, even if it's just The Dude's 10 pin bowling... :)

I'm just about read your orginal LuminAria article.

Cheers and take care.