Luminaria?

I have a pair of the Sony 2SK60 devices, courtesy of Pras1170, and I would love to sample a SIT preamp alongside my current Triode pre, but I have to confess to being impotent when it comes to taking this project forward.

I'm a painting-by-numbers DIYer when it comes to electronics and I certainly lack the knowledge/experience/skills to be able to take Michael's base parameters and develop/simulate the required circuit. I have read the original Luminaria article and while some of it makes sense there's still a lot that doesn't so I can only reliably contribute with logistical stuff, like a PCB group buy.

Patience is a virtue...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hard to get LU working in real triode mode, if that is the goal

whatever you do, basic cell ends looking as in F3

of course, one can throw Schade trick on it ....... but then drive (of it) is problematic

DEF - like arrangement is one of rare arrangements where drive requirements of Schaded part are solved due to fact that drive is conducted both to gate and source in same time

none of it having similarities with Luminaria

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, I see that I didn't phrase it/explained properly what I mean - what I meant is - to get triodish characteristic of LU, one needs to be precise with settings ; of course that cascode must be used and also source resistor is important

EUVL has several papers/constructions with LU, probably worth looking at his site

Attachments

• mmexport1636465806609.jpg
    mmexport1636465806609.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 282
  • wx_camera_1636464716190.jpg
    wx_camera_1636464716190.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 287
  • wx_camera_1636464730667.jpg
    wx_camera_1636464730667.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 282
Thanks for the update and keeping us in the loop @Adams_Leo, I'm sure a few of us will be watching your progress with interest.

Regarding the caps, I have a small stash of old Arcotronic polypropylene caps that have sounded good when I've used them before (just looked and have four specified at 10uF 250V) and I also like Mundorf ZNs as a good compromise between sound quality and cost. Some of the Russian caps might be worth considering too. However, I would be inclined to just use quality non-boutique caps to get the circuit optimised first - bake the cake before adding the icing.