Aleph J illustrated build guide

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
spryor
On one photo it looks like a jfet gate is unsoldered, is it?

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 433
well , your mileage may and must vary from mine .....

I spent considerable amount of time and energy to get rid even of any kind of resistive attenuator in signal chain, so that is my experience

if you don't hear difference, even better for you , especially for your wallet

Thing is, you have to get in your to wallet to find out whether resistance attenuation is, or is not, the optimum method.
I did, and it wound up being money very well spent. (happy ears emoji here)

Hi all, I had a question regarding the speaker binding posts that come in the diyaudio parts kit. There is a red plastic piece with a small tab, this tab fits into the back panel slot so that the post does not rotate (see picture). Ok great, but the tabs are in random places on my posts and wont move. How does one rotate them so that they are in the correct place so that the wire opening slot is pointing in same consistent direction? I have tried rotating but it doesn't budge and I don't want to break it. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 353
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It should be - I soldered everything from the bottom, and the solder didn't always flow through to the top of the PCB. Thank you for noticing that. I'll double check.

I would double check everything. BA3 FE and Aleph J should be dead silent. I simply followed 6l6's build guides.

2 BA3 FE, 1 BA3 power amp and Aleph J just as he wrote and all three are quiet as the grave.

If not, something is off. Maybe very minor, but something. For best sleep, I don't like Band-Aids,
But that is just me. Maybe something in your environment is different?

Russellc

Joined 2019
Paid Member
random places

Hi all, I had a question regarding the speaker binding posts that come in the diyaudio parts kit. There is a red plastic piece with a small tab, this tab fits into the back panel slot so that the post does not rotate (see picture). Ok great, but the tabs are in random places on my posts and wont move. How does one rotate them so that they are in the correct place so that the wire opening slot is pointing in same consistent direction? I have tried rotating but it doesn't budge and I don't want to break it. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I had same problem, try this.
That plastic part that is keyed into the back plate is actually keyed into the part also. Grab that little keying part with finger nails or needle nose pliers and pull it out. no force is required. then rotate it to the position you want and push it back into its place. Don't even have to take it off the post. Pretty clever.
r,
Don

Another Aleph J finished and running perfectly

I finally have just about finished the Aleph J. I just need to install the blue LED and find the top cover. All the proper parts have been installed, all the .47Rs as they should be, all wiring is Teflon coated silver plated including the input coax. All of it came from the Boeing surplus store over 25 years ago, what a treasure trove that was. I even laced the wiring, something I learned back in the early 80's at BCIT.

I am very happy with the static results so far. Heat sinks ~55C with idle at 1.9A. The LVB2560 bridge rec. stays at the same temp as the chassis, about 45C. ~75mV of ripple on the supply and ~3mV AC on the output with inputs open. AC draw from the wall 220W.

A few pictures of it going together...I will post a few more once I get all the test leads out of it. :D Can hardly wait to listen to it. :)

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_6658.jpg
    DSC_6658.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC_6659.jpg
    DSC_6659.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC_6661.jpg
    DSC_6661.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_6667.jpg
    DSC_6667.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_6669.jpg
    DSC_6669.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks boys, appreciate the compliments.

It's all solid aluminum, the bottom and back are 1/4", front panel 3/8" thick, and all anodized. I made these many years ago when I was doing engineering/prototype work, these were leftover and the bottoms were never drilled, otherwise all the holes would have been black as well. I was sure happy to put one to good use for this awesome amp design. As I come from an electronics manufacturing background, I was given the opportunity to acquire surplus parts as they went EOL (End Of Life) and being a hoarder :D, have amassed probably 5,000lbs of parts over the years, and as a result, needed to buy very little. All the hardware in this build is stainless, and as mentioned Teflon insulated wiring, nylon standoffs, and transformers that I had that just happened to fit perfectly for this, dual 20V @ 8A, cool.

Thanks Nelson, Jim and all those who have helped develop this and who have put so much effort in to help others to get them finished and working 100%.

Cheers

Last edited:
So, any listening yet?

Russellc

It's on the agenda for tomorrow...I'm still fiddling with bias, :rolleyes:. The bottom is sitting at 57C and the xfmr is 65C. Before I assembled the amp, the heatsinks sitting alone were able to dissipate the 1.9A no problem and xfmr was cold. Now with the bottom plate, it seems to be drawing the heat from the sinks so I may try insulating the bottom from the sinks with fiber washers, as a test. The bridge recs only dissipate about 4W each and shouldn't heat that much. I may have to re-visit the drill press to get some more air flow through the amp. :eek:

Updates tomorrow.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_6644.jpg
    DSC_6644.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
The DC rails & returns, and the speakers' hookup wire, is very thin. I'd go with at least triple the cross-section. Even better, you could extend the copper plate to cover all 4 capacitors' screws:)

Aleph J is a very wide band amplifier, the combination of silver-plated wire and wideband amp could result in high frequencies being too revealing.

The transformer, if damped correctly (quasimodo snubber) , could dissipate a lot less heat... I properly damped my transformer, which reduced its heat dissipation dramatically (initially, I thought the transformer was running hot due to around 4 amps of a constant current draw...). Now, it runs only mildly warm.

The speakers return wire should go straight to that copper plate.

I had same problem, try this.
That plastic part that is keyed into the back plate is actually keyed into the part also. Grab that little keying part with finger nails or needle nose pliers and pull it out. no force is required. then rotate it to the position you want and push it back into its place. Don't even have to take it off the post. Pretty clever.
r,
Don

Thanks Don! yes it was that simple!