Aleph J illustrated build guide

The Aleph 3 uses two pairs of MOSFETs, each pair matched within .01V. One pair is driven by the differential input (first stage), while the other pair provides the bias current. I am not sure about the meaning of "output cascade".
You can use IRFP240 to replace the IRFP244 devices without making any changes to the other components.

blowing fuses

I am troubleshooting the PSU of my Aleph J. The PSU has two toroidal transformers of 250VA each with two separate PSU boards from the diyaudiostore. I am using 4 monolithic bridge rectifiers and a total of 264,000 microfarads across the two PSU boards. Upon power up, the LEDs on the PSU boards light up and I can very briefly measure the expected positive and negative voltages. But, then the CL-60 thermistors which connect PSU ground to chassis (and the IEC safety earth terminal) get hot enough to smoke and the fuses blow. I am using a pair of 2.5A slow blow fuses. Reading this forum has shown me that I should be using a pair of 5 Amp slow blow fuses which I intend to order. But, would fuses which are not sufficient lead to the thermistors smoking? This all occurs without the amplifier circuits attached.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?

Please see attached photos.

I will look up how to build a bulb tester.

Thank you

Attachments

• aleph_j_1.jpg
    aleph_j_1.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 743
  • aleph_j_2.jpg
    aleph_j_2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 740
  • aleph_j_3.jpg
    aleph_j_3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 729
  • transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 733
I built a bulb tester and found 5A slow blow fuses. When I turn on the power, the bulb lights up indicating a short somewhere. So, I tested each PSU separately by de-soldering the primaries. When tested in separation each PSU turns on the bulb. I see many millions of Ohms between PSU ground and the rails. I am not sure what to do next.

Aaron

Please see the attached photo of a PSU PCB as requested. Though, I am beginning to think I may only have had a fuse issue. I have stepped through the components from transformer to PSU PCB (on the left side) adding back and testing. The transformer appears normal as do the bridge rectifiers. When I solder the PSU PCBs back into the circuit I do see the bulb tester turn on briefly on power up but I suspect what I am seeing is the supply caps charging. I think previously I assumed that any light from the bulb tester indicated a short. After I regained my confidence in the circuit, I turned the power on without the bulb tester in place but with the 5 Amp slow blow fuses and all appears fine now. I still am unsure why the thermistors between PSU ground and chassis/IEC earth got so hot when the 2.5 Amp fuses blew. Perhaps I fixed a problem when I de-soldered and re-soldered the components. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Aaron

Attachments

• aleph_j_4.jpg
    aleph_j_4.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 695