Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

I have A Classic 1 got a great deal on it the cart is a shelter 501 MK2 and a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II pre. Just got in set up this week sound real good I am just getting back into vinyl. I was going to build a pearl 2 but ended up buying the Phonomena II demo unit for 450.00 that way I could start listening right away. I just saw the thread for your phono stage but I missed the dead line for the GB. What I would like to build next is a better power supply for the Phonomena II and get rid of the wall wart.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi all,
after some weeks I finish my mesmerize... the enclosure arrive two days ago from HIFI2000.
As you can see they do a veeeery nice job :) I am very happy about the result and the enclosure is very well done!:up:
I have a question about the last connection missing... the violet cable from the antek trafo should be connected to ground or leave disconnected? I suppose that is to be connected but I'm not sure
Thanks to everybody for your help and support on this nice project... others are on the way ;)
Ciao
Enrico

Attachments

• 20131010_200629.jpg
    20131010_200629.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 698
  • 20131010_200656.jpg
    20131010_200656.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 20131010_200937.jpg
    20131010_200937.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 646
  • 20131010_200727.jpg
    20131010_200727.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 663
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is the violet wire for a screen between primary and secondary?

If so, then the screen wire should be very short and bolted to chassis very close to where it comes out of the transformer.

Thanks AndrewT for your advice... Luckely the bolt connection is near to the point where the cable go out from the trasformer... may be you can see from the picture where is the bolt.
Regards
Enrico

.............The purple/violet is the earth screen and should be connected to ground..................
NO !!!!!!
The screen must be connected to Chassis. This connection MUST be able to transfer very high frequency interference to Chassis. This DEMANDS a very short lead length to achieve very low impedance at these VHF/UHF/microwave frequencies.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Am I in for trouble if I use 221R resistors instead of the designated 470R's for the big FETs' gate stoppers? I'll be using IRFP140/9140 FETs. They have a slightly higher C_iss, but not enough to make up for the halved resistance, so the roll-off frequency (f=1/ 2piRC) will be higher.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll try it with the 221R and report back.
With the quoted C_iss=1300pF of the IRFP240 (IR) and the 470R, the roll-off frequency would be f_-3db=1/ 2piRC=250kHz. With the C_iss=1400pF of the IRFP140N (IR) and 221R, f_-3dB=514kHz. Iiirc the N designation of the IRFP140N FETs indicates a smaller die, hence the lower input capacitance as compared to the regular IRFP140.
I think it won't be a problem. Hopefully.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
DCB1 with LCDuino

Hello to everybody,
since two weeks the mesmerize is playing music... transparent sound, no hum... fantastic! Thanks Salas for the design and for your help :up:
Looking in youtube the 2013 Burning Amp I see that one of the exhibits, AMB, show the preamplifier with the LCDuino display and motorized pot and I am quite interested to integrate it in my DCB1.
Looking in the AMB site I found all the information that I need including the schematic for the pot realized with 8 relay and the relevant resistor (the project is named 'delta1).
My question here is because I found also in the AMB forum that somebody face problem interfacing the "delta1" with preamplifier direct coupled like the DCB1. Look like that very few DC mV disturb the switching of the relay and sometime they can ear "bump" when is playing music (more or less this is what i understand :confused:)
Maybe someone try already to interface the DCB1 with the LCDuino or have any esperience on this?
Thanks and sorry for the long post
Enrico