Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2008
Paid Member
It works! :deerman: Dim bulb test went fine, then full-on power up. Warming up with Morcheeba currently.

There's always that moment of cold sweat when powering on something the first time. Gloves and goggles on, duck out of direct fire from capacitors, switch on the electric creature...

Truth be told, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between this and the Scryer with its SMPS. I think this tweaked F5 has a bit more resolution and deep bass authority, but that's probably just my brain doing its subjective dancing. Lucky problems to have. :spin:

I'll just have to try the Scryer with the dual mono linear supply!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well then I am the extremely lucky greenhorn, because I really like how this sounds! P3 was set to middle and bias was set according to the normal process. I really need to put together a stable REW FFT measurement system so I can know more about my different amps (and be able to fiddle with distortion spectra).

Thanks for that reminder, ZM.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
nothing less is Scryer worthy
:devilr:
Done. Warming up well in the main system. Scryer now has a proper sissy power supply.

This mini project was only mechanical, astoundingly. No soldering required. :Popworm:

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    706.3 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 593
Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It sounds exquisite!

It was already revealing, authoritative, and pleasing. Now with MORE Scryerness. I am convinced this power supply arrangement is better.

I might want to experiment with just a pinch more sweetness, so I may put the ACP+ in front of it tomorrow. However, for now I will continue to enjoy it direct from my DAC. 🍷

Gotta order a new decal for it. :spin:

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Just circling back around to remind everyone that the SissySIT is amazing. Thanks again ZM & Pa!

Need to go get groceries before they close, but I can’t stop listening…

All FET/SIT chain with the addition of the Yamaha C-1 (VFET preamp). Spookiest I’ve ever heard.

IMG_1525.jpeg

• Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Gorgeous Yamaha speakers.
Is that NS-1000?
Always fond of Yamaha drivers no matter the age.
NS-1200
Yamaha's take on the English sound. AlNiCo drivers with Spruce cones and cotton soft domes.
While still quite detailed, it's certainly catering more towards an engaging and musical experience versus being a monitoring pair.

I guess they are quite rare as they were expensive (not quite NS-2000 price levels, but not far off either), and the Japanese market didn't seem as receptive of classic, throwback designs in the late 80's when so much interest was in futuristic, high-tech products.

I'd like to get them completely restored -- as they may still have the original crossovers. Still, they sound wonderful as is and make for an extremely musical experience with the SissySIT. The SissySIT seems to have no issues with authoritative bass even with the cones on these sealed coffins (88db/W, 6 Ω). The midrange is something special.

C-1 is some beast! How does it sound compared to todays's preamplifiers?
I was worried about the complexity and number of switches/pots getting in the way, but that doesn't really seem to be the case at all to my ears. Though, my unit has been thoroughly restored, thanks to the help of a fellow forum member.

Best way I can describe the C-1 is that this is Yamaha's best representation of Yamaha's "Natural Sound" moniker. So many modern preamps seem to tradeoff some of the natural sound characteristics in favor of increased detail retrieval or other technicalities. The classic musicality vs technicality continuum.

The C-1 seems to be the Goldilocks, where things "sound just right," while not lacking at all in technicalities. I suspect making some modern improvements to it (switching/relay controls & modern, high-end pot) would leave any differences in technicalities nearly negligible.

I've unfortunately not heard a Pass Labs preamp, but from what I've heard in other Pass gear, it actually reminds me a lot of the Pass Labs sound signature.

I guess it was way more common to find the C-1 in professional use around the world, and there have been several anecdotes from retired mastering engineers about using the C-1 to monitor numerous renowned albums over the years. Given its price tag of 400,000 yen in 1975, I'm not surprised it found more success in the professional realm...

Reactions: 3 users