Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

My F4 is coming on. 4U 400mm Modushop case, custom dual mono Tiger toroid, Prasi LT4320 CRC stacked on top. This leaves enough space for some voltage gain which is what comes next...after the front panel. Very pleased with the sound, throws a wonderful walk in sound stage with my LS50 Metas!

20230811_160648.jpg 20230811_160806.jpg 20230811_160723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sometimes you gotta know when to just cut bait and let the fish be.

I had grand aspirations to experiment with my class A test bed and swap out my revered F5 boards with the ZM Boo OS boards I luckily got earlier in the year. Fun for an afternoon, surely.

All but one of the holes I drilled in one fresh 3U300 heatsink were completely wrong. :rofl:

Made a big mess. Broke a drill bit. Just before devising some elaborate scheme to cut out little sections of fins in the sink with a jig saw, I made the executive decision to call it a day, have some Ranch Water, and mosey into the living room to relax with the main system.

I’ll keep this target practice heatsink for future testing, order another one, and get some heat spreader plates so I don’t this again. :nownow:

Don’t stress. When you oOk up, stop before you do something dumb. Enjoy the music. :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Nice build Simon, the F4 amp is so neutral sounding it is timeless just change your preamp if you want a different sound. I have driven mine with Impass, Pumpkin, in balanced ( I have a pair of these) and XRK,s ASKA Lender single ended. All sounded great but different . One nice thing Mr Pass mentioned the F4 paired well with single driver speakers, I run the F4 in my office with the ASKA Lender and a pair of frugal horns and the sound stage just blows me away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 389
Reactions: 3 users
Wirewiggler,

That's a nice take on the chassis - quite different from the black on black or black on silver that most of us go for. :)

Have any pics of the inside?

The FH3 are capable of creating a nice 3D soundstage when paired with a good amp and good source material; that is an Alpair 7.3 driver in your speaker? Given the reputation the Pass F4 has, I can imagine that you are enjoying the sound reproduction. :)

zman, Alpair 7, can’t find picture of amp guts. It was quite compact, I used Peter Danials power supply and f4 boards with 6 output devices it does run hot but sounds outstanding. I think the pairing of the ASKA Lender, and the F4, with the Frugal horns just works well.
Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users