F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Imho, 10ga is serious overkill.
I think 14ga is quite sufficient.
12ga would be nice.
10 ga is heavy duty if you need to minimize DCR for some reason...

All you need is wire and a way to make it go round and round on a bobbin or spool, etc...

There is no reason not to use an "iron core" to reduce the number of turns and maximize the inductance, imo. You just have to size the lams to meet the VA required for the job.

It is reasonable to use the secondary or primary of a suitable transformer for this...

_-_-bear

Though i have not yet experimented it, i am quite shure that a capacitance multiplier could be a more elegant and a lot cheaper way to improve noise figure in a classA amplifier PSU.

That's what I think, it promises huge noise reductions and channel-to-channel isolation. But with FETs you get the 4V drop and with BJTs you need a driver device to handle the base current of the pass transistor. And you need a heatsink with mounting hardware, and the devices can fail. You do get the bonus option of zener regulation to the base, or a triac on the base to shut down the rails if there's a fault condition detected.

But the CLC offers a rather simple solution and need not be expensive if you accept the use of a common mode choke. Check out Digikey. I found a 4A choke with 6.9mH on tap for around $5 [PLK1332-ND].

Attachments

• ELF-22V040B.JPG
    ELF-22V040B.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 851
I figure the choke doesn't know which side of the trafo you put it on, but I assume the current limit is mostly a thermal issue - if you don't overheat it then it doesn't matter what the waveform going through it looks like.

I haven't a clue how it would work for the F5 but there are many other nice looking chokes in the digikey catalogue if this one isn't suitable.

I'm still liking the look of the Cap Multiplier as a technically better option but with the choke there appears to be less to understand and so fewer possible complications. For some amplifiers, the turn-on thump is a deal-killer without a cap multiplier to slow things down.

Last edited:
It's been 4 weeks ...................... :D

:). my 2nd child should be popping out in the next couple of weeks. we made a decision to get rid of my dedicated hi-fi room soon than later, and i've been kicked down into the office in the man-cave. i'm in the middle of building a USB DAC - space is at a premium now and i've decided to pack away the CDs for a hard drive. although i did finish populating my F5 boards tonight.

Hi Choky,
the diameter of the wire is about 1,65mm (14AWG)
The iron is an EI core,
outer dimensions seen from front like in picture: width: 65mm, height: 78mm, width outer lams: 13mm, depth lams: 28mm
so the outer lams are 13x28mm, I can't see the inner lams on which the wire is wound. But I'm guessing that it's 26 mm.

Attachments

• DSCF2149s2.jpg
    DSCF2149s2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Choky,
the diameter of the wire is about 1,65mm (14AWG)
The iron is an EI core,
outer dimensions seen from front like in picture: width: 65mm, height: 78mm, width outer lams: 13mm, depth lams: 28mm
so the outer lams are 13x28mm, I can't see the inner lams on which the wire is wound. But I'm guessing that it's 26 mm.

tnx ;)

if core is standard EI , then tongue is 1/3 of overall width ....... in this case height
so 78/3 =26 mm ,as you wrote

edit :

I can't get - what's height of lam stack ?

Last edited:
Hi
I just finish my F5 and connect it to system.

Soruce : Micro Seiki DD40 + ATOC3
Pre : Peereaux SM2
Loudspeakers: DIY (2 an1/2 way) 2 Vifa XT18WO + XT25

It sounds nice. A lot of details and wide sound scene. Bass very good controlled. A general impression is: "very polite".
I start with bias 1A (I use trafo with 4x22V secondary).
Can anybody tell me what will change in sound when I increase bias

ok, so I took apart the microwave oven transformer. I ended up with 58m (190 ft) of 1.4mm wire, which I think is about 15g... possibly a little small. From an online calculator, I would need this much wire for even one 2mH inductor - so I'm not going to have enough to replace the CRC with CLC.

What I might do is make up some smaller rated inductors, about 0.5mH each and use them after the CRC. I could use some nice nichicon muse caps on the end of the PSU.

For 0.5mH inductor, the air core should be 70mm, height is 18mm and 17m of 15g wire...... so this will be big diameter.

Its probably worth a try, but if anyone thinks what I'm doing is stupid, let me know!!

Fran