Speaker suspension

If these speakers actually cost more than the foam surrounds do, and if they were just raw 6x9 speakers, than go for it - what would you have to lose? But there are two things to carefully consider, and everyone was trying to warn you of. 1. The value of the speaker is likely less than the cost of the repair kit. You have to ask yourself if it’s worth the twenty bucks - if you sent it to a shop it would be 60. 2. Getting that tweeter bridge off so you can shim the VC is not going to be as easy as you think. Can you even get it off in one piece? I’ve never been able to - at least not without making the tweeter assembly worthless in the process. Try to get the tweeter bridge off first, before buying the repair kit. Don’t do this step backwards. If you bugger it up, it will save you the twenty bucks, and you can put it toward a new speaker.

im pretty sure the bridge is bolted on from the backside.

I dont care they are worthless (people on fleabay seem to think they are worth 200+ for used ones i guess *shrug*) and i do not care how they sound. The car is already a tin can resonance chamber. None of the speakers have padding on the back side, the magnet sticks to the body panel, they are attached to essentially compressed cardboard, and I'm using an ancient pioneer 2 post radio from the mid 80's.

I like fixing stuff. I want to learn how to fix audio stuff. But it seems every time I ask for help on this site, I get shut down from nay sayers. I have an old jvc 5003 I wanted to repair myself. Asked several times, and a handful of members for help. Nothing. Get asked for help with these speakers. Get called a troll and that the speakers are trash. Does it hurt to keep your opinion to yourself to help someone else learn how to fix something? We all need to start somewhere. I want to start with these.

Just get the parts, watch half a dozen videos about refoaming (just to be more certain) and do them yourself.

IF you have some reconer nearby, ask him to do it, practice makes perfect and he´ll certainly have done a few.

From all suggestions above, the one about carefully cutting the dust cover off and shimming voice coil is the most sensibleWhen fully dy 824 hours), youb remove shims and reglue dstcap in place.

Use as little adhesive as posible.

Suspect subframe holding tweeter is glued between old foam ring and cardboard gasket, it must have been added *after* main cone was glued in.

Soften old dried up adhesive with acetone / toluene / paint thinner , it depends on what they used originally.

Here´s a couple, straight fom Pros:

HOW TO: DIY speaker refoam using a Parts Express repair kit - YouTube

Speaker Repair and Replacement of Foam Surrounds on Cerwin Vega and Others - YouTube

Account Closed
Joined 2018
"people on fleabay seem to think they are worth 200+ for used ones"

Those people are nutbags with silly dreams in their heads, and over-inflated prices on junk.

I think I paid $39.95 for a pair back in 1973 to use in place of the original Delco rear deck speakers in my 1972 Chevy Nova.
And they eventually dryrotted and cones warped from sunlight.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I like fixing stuff. I want to learn how to fix audio stuff. But it seems every time I ask for help on this site, I get shut down from nay sayers. ...................... Does it hurt to keep your opinion to yourself to help someone else learn how to fix something? We all need to start somewhere. I want to start with these.

Nothing wrong with fixing old stuff.
However, the opinions from experienced people are for a reason, which you choose to resist and ignore.
That shows that you are being unreasonable, stubborn.

"people on fleabay seem to think they are worth 200+ for used ones"

Those people are nutbags with silly dreams in their heads, and over-inflated prices on junk.

I think I paid $39.95 for a pair back in 1973 to use in place of the original Delco rear deck speakers in my 1972 Chevy Nova.
And they eventually dryrotted and cones warped from sunlight.
And guess what, with inflation, thats $246. Not sure why people are asking near msrp for them still.
Nothing wrong with fixing old stuff.
However, the opinions from experienced people are for a reason, which you choose to resist and ignore.
That shows that you are being unreasonable, stubborn.

This statement is very contradictory. "nothing wrong with fixing stuff. but we say no and you listen and do everything we tell you to." How about no. I want to fix these. If you cant accept that, then move on. The ones i have are not dry rotted cause they havent been facing the sun for the last 40 years. If the paper was shot, sure. I'd throw them out. But its still pliable and not turning into dust.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
And guess what, with inflation, thats $246. Not sure why people are asking near msrp for them still.

This statement is very contradictory. "nothing wrong with fixing stuff. but we say no and you listen and do everything we tell you to." How about no. I want to fix these.

Inflation aside, those were cheap speakers, and still are, period.

There is a general rule that SOME THINGS are just NOT worth repairing.
The people, including myself, that you call "naysayers" are expressing their opinions primarily from experience as well as keeping within a reasonable mindset.
You, on the other hand, are not, you're being overly obsessed, determined, and stubborn, in a childish way.
That make one suspect there are other issues involved.
I'm done. :rolleyes:

Inflation aside, those were cheap speakers, and still are, period.

There is a general rule that SOME THINGS are just NOT worth repairing.
The people, including myself, that you call "naysayers" are expressing their opinions primarily from experience as well as keeping within a reasonable mindset.
You, on the other hand, are not, you're being overly obsessed, determined, and stubborn, in a childish way.
That make one suspect there are other issues involved.
I'm done. :rolleyes:

Not really sure how i am being the childish one here. I am searching for help, and all youre doing is repeating the same thing with no facts to back up your claims.

Who cares if they're cheap. You do, I don't. Some say cheap stuff isnt worth fixing. I disagree. Thats half the reason why I own 3 of the cheapest cars toyota made in the early 80's, one of which literally being the cheapest base model you could buy.

Again, if all you're going to do is clog up this post saying the same thing over and over again, then go elsewhere. I think we all get your point.

I am a bit too busy to do a recone right now.
There are quite a few good resources on Youtube as far as reconing tutorials.
It often comes down to learning how to remove the old surround gracefully.
You just have to do your homework and see if you can do it. Worst case, you spent some money and maybe learned something.

We seem to have lost track of the original question.

How's that going Foxx? ;)

Used this guy many many times , recommended

I need to look stateside before i resort to overseas. I just got one of the speakers out yesterday, so I havent had much time to look, and need to figure out what measurements I need so I can cross reference something vaguely universal.

I don't know where you are based, but here is a supplier of 6 x 9 inch oval foam surrounds: https://speakerrepairshop.nl/en/foam-surrounds/by-size/oval-surrounds/g-20000074

I need to look stateside before i resort to overseas. I just got one of the speakers out yesterday, so I havent had much time to look, and need to figure out what measurements I need so I can cross reference something vaguely universal.

I would just add: they are quick and my orders at least so far (to the uk albeit) haven't attracted import/duty/vat interest....

They arrive pretty much letter post, in a jiffy

.... which was nice

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Not really sure how i am being the childish one here. I am searching for help, and all youre doing is repeating the same thing with no facts to back up your claims.

Who cares if they're cheap. You do, I don't. Some say cheap stuff isnt worth fixing. I disagree. Thats half the reason why I own 3 of the cheapest cars toyota made in the early 80's, one of which literally being the cheapest base model you could buy.

Again, if all you're going to do is clog up this post saying the same thing over and over again, then go elsewhere. I think we all get your point.

You probably own a Toyota Starlett, a real hunk of garbage with cardboard door panels - I knew a guy who owned one.
His last ride in it while smoking a corncob pipe with pot - they had to remove him in pieces when that death trap was crushed by a truck.
Any sensible sane person would never own that junk. :eek:

Other's may "get my point", and reflect my opinion to you, but you obviously don't get the point.
As for facts, I've been an electronics servicer (audio-video-automotive) for 45 years, plenty of hands-on experience, but you insist on arguing that you know better.
I've had some "insistant" (read: unreasonable) customers in the shop like you, so you aren't alone.
And I've dealt with them accordingly.
You'd be shoved out the door like I did with them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... Delco rear deck speakers…

Some of those are really good.

attachment.php

The Jesen TriAxial was trash when we sold them new. Bur a fancy 3-way with a recognized brand name.

Best use for the triaxials is to strip everything out, screw it to a wall and use it to hold screwdrivers.

The better Delcos are typically <$10/pr if you can find them.

dave

Attachments

• delco-4ohm-6x9FRw.jpg
    delco-4ohm-6x9FRw.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 162