Speaker suspension

You probably own a Toyota Starlett, a real hunk of garbage with cardboard door panels - I knew a guy who owned one.
His last ride in it while smoking a corncob pipe with pot - they had to remove him in pieces when that death trap was crushed by a truck.
Any sensible sane person would never own that junk. :eek:

Other's may "get my point", and reflect my opinion to you, but you obviously don't get the point.
As for facts, I've been an electronics servicer (audio-video-automotive) for 45 years, plenty of hands-on experience, but you insist on arguing that you know better.
I've had some "insistant" (read: unreasonable) customers in the shop like you, so you aren't alone.
And I've dealt with them accordingly.
You'd be shoved out the door like I did with them.

Yea, but they are reliable, unlike anything GM has ever built. When was the last time you saw any nova go 200k+ miles without its motor and transmission crapping out? And no, the startlet was more expensive than the 3 toyota i have :)

I drive the cars knowing if i get in an accident im dead. Im perfectly fine with that honestly.

I never said I knew better, and repeatedly said I know they are cheap speakers.

If all youre going to do is clog up this thread, then leave. You say im stubborn, but here you are, trying to cram your opinion down my throat.

Did you overlook my post #25 in all the confusion?
I saw it, but havent been able to look at them through this mess.
Some of those are really good.

The Jesen TriAxial was trash when we sold them new. Bur a fancy 3-way with a recognized brand name.

Best use for the triaxials is to strip everything out, screw it to a wall and use it to hold screwdrivers.

The better Delcos are typically <$10/pr if you can find them.

dave
Like i said, I am going to fix these. Cheap car, cheap speakers, cheap radio. Best to learn how to fix something using something cheap vs. something nice in case you mess up.

Yea, but they are reliable, unlike anything GM has ever built. When was the last time you saw any nova go 200k+ miles without its motor and transmission crapping out? And no, the startlet was more expensive than the 3 toyota i have :)

I drive the cars knowing if i get in an accident im dead. Im perfectly fine with that honestly.

I never said I knew better, and repeatedly said I know they are cheap speakers.

If all youre going to do is clog up this thread, then leave. You say im stubborn, but here you are, trying to cram your opinion down my throat.

I had an Impala that went 250000 miles...

I had an 1986 Jetta Diesel (non turbo, 58 HP) with 485000 km on it. All of them needed new speakers :D

I said I wasn't going to respond when you told me to **** off. I can see an earnestness in you approach so perhaps it's best to let you know a couple things about why people are discouraging you other than what's been said or at least put them into one post. This isn't about telling you not to fix a speaker, it's about telling you why not these.

First, when you remove the gasket to expose the tweeter module on the basket, you will ruin it. I hope that kit comes with a new one.

Second, if you look at the tweeter module, you find that it isn't bolted on as the nut on the other side would prevent you from surface mounting them. These are a surface mount that relies on the woofer basket to fit the grill. You can't back mount them. The module is either epoxied in place or more likely spot welded. I believe that's what kodabmx meant when he said tacked. Either way, removing it without damaging it and the woofer basket is near impossible. Right there is where you will probably quit. if not...

Now you have cut the tinsel lead to the module and removed it. Next you remove the dustcap with damaging anything and without getting any debris in the magnet gap. Did you set up a vacuum to suck the dust away as you were doing it? Oops, darn! Now how do you get the dust out without cutting the spider? You can't, I hope your kit came with a new spider. No? well while you're at it, order a recone kit and do this properly. Remove it, clean the gap. Holy crap that's not a fun job. Won't make that mistake again.

Now follow the procedure for aligning the new cone including shimming and gluing procedure for the spider. Do the same with the surround. Add the dustcap and gasket. Wait did I remember to remove the shims?

Now onto the module. Holy crap again. Those tinsel are really short. How am I supposed to resolder those? Maybe I'll add a little wire. Nope can't do that, I need actual tinsel lead. Wait, I can't just add length to it, it will slap the cone. Okay I'll do my best without it. Can I stand the module up so I have better access. Hmmm, that's not working. Damn this is tough especially as there are two caps in there really close to the soldering iron. Gosh they're only about the width of a pencil lead, must be careful. Uh-oh what was that? Did I just add too much solder and it dripped onto the cone? Ah crap!

Now we reglue the module and test it.

Fine, it's working now, sort of. Not perfect though. Why is one louder than the other? I wonder if I got too close to that 6.8µfd cap on the mid? Well I'll just remove the module and ah crap, the glue has set.

Man, I just spent $50 on a recone kit, 6 hours I'll never get back and I have no speakers to show for it.

Foxx you're certainly welcome to play around to your hearts content but you're up against a wall as far as fixing anything. That's what we've been saying all along.

Next time don't take things so personally. We're not here to make you feel bad, we're here to prevent that. Love is tough sometimes. This is one of those.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Cal, ya might as well talk to thin air.
The kid's 25, new on here, and unreasonable.
Plus, his ATTITUDE towards being comfortable dying in a car is idiotic immature talk.
He even admits having issues about his other post replies.

As for his putdown of my old '72 Nova.. I hear it's still going strong.
But something like that Nova..IS worth the "investment".

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Next you remove the dustcap with damaging anything and without getting any debris in the magnet gap. Did you set up a vacuum to suck the dust away as you were doing it? Oops, darn! Now how do you get the dust out without cutting the spider? You can't, I hope your kit came with a new spider. No? well while you're at it, order a recone kit and do this properly.

Removing a dustcap without polluting the VC is easily doable, But you need to have another dustcap.

dave

Removing a dustcap without polluting the VC is easily doable, But you need to have another dustcap.
He has never clamped a driver for surgery that you don't have to use a vacuum. Dave, of course you need a new cap. Why is this being brought up?
Young guys need to do it for themselves - what better way to learn?
You both are encouraging something you know is not right at this point in his 'career'. Stop doing that. You don't go fishing Chinook if you've never baited a hook.

Cal, ya might as well talk to thin air.
The kid's 25, new on here, and unreasonable.
Plus, his ATTITUDE towards being comfortable dying in a car is idiotic immature talk.
He even admits having issues about his other post replies.

As for his putdown of my old '72 Nova.. I hear it's still going strong.
But something like that Nova..IS worth the "investment".

Hey now, my toyota is still going to, original motor and trans, and prolly 4x the miles as that nova :)

if you drive something old, you need to accept the fact that you're probably going to die in it. Sure, the old cars have 20ft long hoods, but guess what, it doesnt have crumple zones. I saw an old town car that had its engine shoved into the passenger compartment from a 40mph crash.

Bruh, im not the one with an attitude issue. Calm down, take your white new balances off and chill.

Good gawd, talk about steering someone down the wrong path. Sure, let's spend the same amount or more on a failure as a brand new success. Great advice guys.

If you read my posts, you'll see I encourage experimentation. I also discourage pipe dreams.

Your choice Foxx.

Bye.
I told you to p iss off, not eff off lol. Either way, whatever, you keep saying you're leaving but you keep coming back *shrug*

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hey now, my toyota is still going to, original motor and trans, and prolly 4x the miles as that nova :)

if you drive something old, you need to accept the fact that you're probably going to die in it. Sure, the old cars have 20ft long hoods, but guess what, it doesnt have crumple zones. I saw an old town car that had its engine shoved into the passenger compartment from a 40mph crash.

Bruh, im not the one with an attitude issue. Calm down, take your white new balances off and chill.

I personally don't think like you, thank god.
I value my life in any automobile, unlike your casual attitude.

And you assume too much, stereotyping me isn't accurate.
Grow up.
You're new on here, you'll learn, or....:eek: