Speaker suspension

I dont care they are worthless ... and i do not care how they sound. The car is already a tin can resonance chamber. None of the speakers have padding on the back side, the magnet sticks to the body panel, they are attached to essentially compressed cardboard, and I'm using an ancient pioneer 2 post radio from the mid 80's.

That's an appropriate description. It sounds like your expectations are realistic, if you manage to get them working.

I like fixing stuff. I want to learn how to fix audio stuff....
We all need to start somewhere. I want to start with these.

What's the worst you can do, ruin an old pair of broken speakers that aren't worth anything? The risk is low. Would I do it? Nope. I've been there exactly once decades ago and it was just like Cal described. But it's no big deal to give it a shot.

My suggestion- before you buy anything, remove one speaker and see if you can get it apart and put it back together. If it's fruitless, you haven't wasted any money.

So what kind of Toyota? I've driven a few over the years, and would be excited to do my daily commute in a Celica or Corolla of that vintage occasionally.

It's heartwarming to see someone so grateful to get the advice he asked for. ;)
I didn't know that saying a speaker is junk is a part. Where can i buy that at? <3
Indeed!
I read his other threads, similar attitude.
Now I know who to avoid, maybe add to my block list. ;)

Theres a block list? Heck yea, added you to it fam. God this thread will be much more pleasing without your boomer mentality clogging it up <3

That's an appropriate description. It sounds like your expectations are realistic, if you manage to get them working.

What's the worst you can do, ruin an old pair of broken speakers that aren't worth anything? The risk is low. Would I do it? Nope. I've been there exactly once decades ago and it was just like Cal described. But it's no big deal to give it a shot.

My suggestion- before you buy anything, remove one speaker and see if you can get it apart and put it back together. If it's fruitless, you haven't wasted any money.

So what kind of Toyota? I've driven a few over the years, and would be excited to do my daily commute in a Celica or Corolla of that vintage occasionally.

Exactly. Theyre cheap junk. If i mess them up, who cares. I'm not trying to get hifi out of them. The fact they survived being in the car is already astonishing to me. If they get messed up, whoops thats $30 out the window. Definitely going to break the bank with that xD

I've already got one out, and the bridge removed. Its bolted to the frame. Hardest part will be getting the voice coil cover off. If it gets messed up, I'll glue a little cutout from a cereal box on it. No biggie.

Its a 1981 2dr toyota tercel. 7age swap, custom suspension, 200tw tires...double the stock hp at 120hp lul, but it is an excellent agility / autocross car. Thats what I built it to be. There is literally no padding under the headliner and carpet. Car was originally a radio-less car. Someone halfassed a radio install..so I fixed that, added a free 8" sub tube and a 600w pioneer amp under the drivers seat. Its one of those older amps with a fan. So, everytime i get in, the amp sucks in dust lol. Only the finest equipment for the car.

Attachments

• image9.jpg
    image9.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 54
Can´t believe serious Forum Members (let a lone a Moderator) WASTING time here.

If WAY TOO bored by Covid solitary confinement or equivalent, go to the capacitor, cable or UFO threads which have more action and are less morally reprehensible than group bullying a newcomer.

MAYBE better than talking to a spider and expecting answers, but not MUCH better anyway.

I'm a little surprised by the tone of some of those on this thread. If OP wants to try to fix his speakers then why not? He wants period correct for his car and has realistic expectations for the sound quality. It'll probably be fun to try and get them working. If he fails he won't be out of much money and will have learned a bit about refurbing speakers. Good luck OP and keep us updated.

I've already got one out, and the bridge removed. Its bolted to the frame. Hardest part will be getting the voice coil cover off. If it gets messed up, I'll glue a little cutout from a cereal box on it. No biggie.

I wouldn’t even try to re-use those - some surround replacement kits come with spare dust caps. If the kit doesn’t, just buy a couple of the smallest ones they have - not more than a buck or two. You may have to trim them to fit properly on an oval speaker, and make sure they don’t sit too high under the tweeter bridge. If you try to glue something directly to the top of the coil, there is a VERY good chance of getting glue in the magnet gap. Gluing on the cone itself reduces the chance of error 10x.

That.
In Guitar speakers many old ones (ahem! .... Jensen ;) ) glued a tiny dustcap straight to the VC to cone junction .... but earlier ones just used a felt disk as dustcap, go figure.

ac4775a0-9ca8-4675-874a-2104d22971b4-jpeg.327563

But in modern ones it´s just safer, as mentioned above, to glue a slightly oversized one straight to cone.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I wouldn't call you a troll.
Just stubborn and unreasonable... with obsessed tossed in.
Have fun.

What's wrong with fanatical, you know, the kind of people this site is for?

So glad you asked that question! :D

I sometimes mention that old saying: "If the shoe fits".
And your question refers to a "kind of people", yes?
We all observe and label the various distinctions in life, yes?
And while I tend to keep an open mind about society's natural differences, I also encounter times when labels are justifiably necessary, besides being on a can of soup.

Interesting, your choice of words though.. particularly the "What's wrong with fanatical".
Well, I don't consider myself to be a hard-core, non flexible individual in that respect.
However, I do tend to fit in with a more reasonable crowd of sorts, with a healthy attention to detail that seems to be generally accepted and please others as well.
99.999% of my past customers over the decades can attest to that.

And of course my opinions are, like everyone's, an entitled and individual thing, as it well should be.

But going back to your original question, I found this, and hopes it sheds some light on things for you.

Attachments

• fanatic_meaning.jpg
    fanatic_meaning.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 81
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can´t believe serious Forum Members (let a lone a Moderator) WASTING time here.
And yet, here YOU are. :p We are all free to waste our time as we choose, no?

I can't believe that the OP is still wasting time still talking about it and hasn't ordered a recone kit. What the heck is is waiting for? Time to stop griping and do something. OP knows the risks and cost, which of those is holding him back? Neither is very high.

And yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

That.
In Guitar speakers many old ones (ahem! .... Jensen ;) ) glued a tiny dustcap straight to the VC to cone junction .... but earlier ones just used a felt disk as dustcap, go figure.

A lot of the subtleties of guitar speaker tone come from the dust cap - material, size and how it’s attached. Stick a big one on a guitar speaker, and the response above 2-3 kHz changes radically. It’s worth the time to be very careful reconing one.

In the case of the 6x9, the affected area is under the tweeter bridge. And a lot of response overlap with the ‘midrange’ speaker, so no one would ever notice a change. And you’ll always be listening WAY off axis - like 90 degrees.

And yet, here YOU are. :p We are all free to waste our time as we choose, no?
In case you didn´t notice I am here HELPING the O.P. with TECHNICAL advice and data on how to solve his TECHNICAL problem.

Others are just despising and dissing his intentions, to a point where it becomes BULLYING, given the tone, quantity and level of mob members, including MODERATORS who should know better than personally involving in such matters.

What was your contribution so far?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What was your contribution so far?
Telling him to stop complaining about advice he didn't expect, and just do it. Win or lose, it's a good way to learn. The stakes are not very high.

FYI, if not posting in moderator mode, which always has the cop hat, we are members too and are allowed to post just like any other member. But of course you know that.