Best electrolytic capacitors

all mass market caps are being made in China....

and why not?
cbb60, metalized polypropylene caps of 100ufd/450vac, more than enough for a tube amp...
labor costs in China is very cheap, I wonder if Illinois Caps have theirs from china to be relabeled stateside..
i know baseball caps made in Manila suburbs being shipped to the US to be stickered, "made in USA"
free enterprise has been and always will be all about profits....

http://sc04.alicdn.com/kf/Hbe41ea28a24b43c2b93372b38d730258v.jpg

Ali isn't a place to buy a real component ,mouser digikey Rs and so on

how sure are you that these vendors do not buy from China,?
do these vendors issue certifications that the part they sell did not come from China?
even the venerable Hammond brand have chokes that are made in China...saw it from the printed label...

just last December. 2022, someone asked me for a low budget tube pp amp and he said, please, no China made parts,
i turned him down, suggested that he buy British made or American made amps instead...

From what I have seen, general replacements of electrolytic capacitors with film is going to result in a heck of a lot more inductance!
Whether or not the circuit is affected by that is another question however…

If the first thing people newer to the hobby look for is ESR, the last is probably inductance. I have taken apart some of my earlier projects and just shook my head, most of cap choices are much smaller now, in general.

While it's OK-ish to try to make a buck by nagging people, I find the faking business despicable.
This is a feedback I left for some 0.22uF 630V MKP I bought on eBay:
"Very good items: capacitance 2%, voltage tested to 1000V, tempco negative, so they're true polypropylene. They are as good as anything on the market, so why do they bother to print "Made in France" on the sleeve, which they're not?"

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Zung,
I find the faking business despicable.
I couldn't agree more with you, and it costs people millions per year (if that figure isn't higher). This is only in the audio business. Industrial losses were higher and that is what forced a very strong stance on the issue.

This was even a problem in the 1980's - in the USA. So this is by no means a new problem, it is a decades old example of greed and deceit.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That was especially unfortunate, but no. I was referring to several instances over time. Quiet but still caused service issues on a much smaller scale. However this issue really hit and is hitting the semiconductor market. Even resistors have had issues.

We had major capacitor issues in the 1980's and 1990's before that news hit the market. I forget the date of that large issue since for me, it was only old news breaking out.

We can't always afford polypropylene capacitors, much less
Teflon (tm), so we often make do with electrolytics when
we need those higher values.

There's all sorts of caps out there with claims to being better,
and they certainly are more expensive.

My favorite is the Elna silk capacitors, available from Digikey,
and really cheap. The measure spectacularly, sound great,
and the manufacturer's translated description of why they
sound better is a Babelfish classic.

So before you run out and spend a lot on the highly hyped
spendy caps, try the Elna silk caps.

There's hemp in them, too.

:cool:

today, cbb60, polypropylene, 60ufd/450vac caps are available and cheap...100ufd values are also now available for about U$12....
using them in a tube amp say the ST70 is plenty of storage...i have seen a youtube video using no electrolytic caps, only polypropylenes...

Attachments

• 323752573_1589735564809681_3521515193969187559_n.jpg
    323752573_1589735564809681_3521515193969187559_n.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 80
  • 324218067_570354361610900_7967754031358036024_n.jpg
    324218067_570354361610900_7967754031358036024_n.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 76
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tony,
i have seen a youtube video using no electrolytic caps, only polypropylenes...
So have I, and I have had to remove them and install proper Electrolytic capacitors. They do not fit, pure and simple. That and everyone I have sen that installed them does a really poor service job. They just read cr*p on the internet and execute things without any thought at all. I've also had to remove bypass capacitors all over the place in old amplifiers. More so these days. Measured performance has shown they do not improve performance and can often introduce abnormal peaks and couplings with the signal. So the takeaway here is simple. You simply cannot blindly change capacitor types or add bypass capacitors without understanding clearly what you are doing - and more importantly, checking for problems you may have introduced. That means you need the proper test equipment and knowledge to perform that work.

Electrolytic capacitors have areas they do very well in, and bulk storage is one of them. It comes down to using the proper component in it's place, and there is no one "best " type of capacitor.

-Chris