Best electrolytic capacitors

This is great. Is this your measurement or could you share a link? It has been a while since the start of the thread. I have alot to catch up. I guessed that someone would have measured how one cap gives the inflated base while the other sounds thin. All these audible effect on the frequency response should also be measurable. :)

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone hasn't heard any audible difference between capacitors, perhaps they haven't heard any difference between loudspeakers or anything else, all 500W RMS speakers sound the same right ?
Perhaps these differences are measurable to a degree so we don't have to dip into our retirement funds to capacitor roll until we find the sound signature we like.

Perhaps these differences are measurable to a degree so we don't have to dip into our retirement funds to capacitor roll until we find the sound signature we like.

As I have had the opportunity to experiment with my Panasonic 9000 over the last 2.5 years, mostly regarding cap choices and differences in digital and analogue, I have ended up with a heavy bias with Elna Silmics for analogue out, I have two 9000 units so I have been able to swap boards from stock as a benchmark. I have experimented a little with Jensen, Wima and Mundorf for smaller sized low value bypass and ended up preferring no additional film bypass in most situations (I am still experimenting). I like Cerafine in combination with Silmic both no longer made, especially for analogue bypass. I like the big value Jensen and Mundorf for the bigger LPS caps. So only the Mundorf are still made !

I have ended up liking Oscon/Cerfine/Silmic around low voltage digital, Mundorf AG for large value digital, WIMA MKS/MKP for small value caps digital bypass, and Jensen electrolytics/ Mundorf in analogue supplies. I also love copper ! I was so surprised what a difference lining the player with copper tape and adding a copper plate base GND plate made, so much so that I rebuilt the modified unit in the stock chassis to confirm. I also like Muse ES on digital boards, they measure well.

Caps that are good but not as good for me are : Nichicon FG, KA, Audio Note std, Panasonic FR, FM, FC, CDE SPLX.

It does all add up, especially by the time you add, nice to solder cable with decent insulation that wont melt when soldering, I have no doubt my 9000 unit (used in a home cinema set up) has a parts cost >£2,000 but it is very, very good now. Thats only £100/month on a hobby and a great result at the end, perfect for retirement !!!

Reactions: 3 users
I had my second player as a reference, I never A-B'd them before the first mod, however I have on occasion assembled modified boards into the second player to explore differences as well. It was relatively easy for me to A-B the two players. Interestingly I was rarely fundamentally wrong with my perceptions on how they would compare.

I agree it would be great if you were able to A-B them blind, but my AV and HiFi chums are not local and my other half is amazingly helpful, but I'd have probably asked for something over 100 A-B's by now that would have worn thin I have no doubt !

DAA5FC52-8AB9-4A0D-AFF7-C557D5150CE9.jpeg

Ahh well it sounds like there is a need for a random selection generator with a log for the selection actually chosen, so that diy blind testing can be done for say a statistically significant sample size of changes.
sorry but blind test dont work ,put out only negative result
we are diy's mod the sound is a recipe to taste no need too much money for fun only experience
btw diy Nelson amp with standard component sound very good ,I'm in love with my last that have Pana HA 10.000uf in series at the output go figure

the reason for using electrolytic caps is because they were much smaller than a comparable film cap of the same value,
the gaps are becoming smaller and smaller, that today it is possible to make tube amps with just film caps alone...
let us remember the reason for ysing those caps in the first place, to minimize ripple voltages....
so i do not care if silmic or blackgates sound better, they have gone the way of the dodo bird..
my diy world do not stop with them gone....