Big coaxial box

Not sure how you define beaming. Do you mean the midrange is sensitive to listening position? Ie it only sounds good in the sweet spot? Or do you mean that the sound is tiny and without a body? Maybe design a shorter wider box, tall slim isn’t very pleasing in my world. Putting a large coax near a wall tilted upwards from the floor will definitely improve the body of the sound but the midrange might be even more sensitive to beam. To me I like that I can get away from the mids and highs yet still have plenty of spl and body. By the way OP did you get them FtX yet? I’d like to get some review and maybe some free measurements off axis.

I was trying to respond to the 8” full range horn guy. Larger two ways have more beaming I would assume only up the xo point. For a coax I guess it’s controlled by the tiny horn somehow limiting the dispersion as well. It’s a preference I guess. I don’t like domes due to reflection from walls. But I cannot really say I can envision what beaming sounds like. Ugly peaks 1-5kHz when in sweet spot but gone when off axis? That’s a large coax alright, if not a good xo or horn which is why I want to see some real life measurements of the FTX before buying, the data sheet doesn’t look so easy to manage but the recommended xo might take that into consideration.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, a coax, if it has issues, eil have a beamwidth issue (i not smooth monotonic decrease) as you transition thru the XO point. A smaller midBass should have less issues in theory, it depends on where the XO is, but the limitations of tweeter size in a coax will limit how far down the tweeter can go.

Now i the manufacturer can devise a tweeter horn that limits HF dispersion in such a manner that the low end of the tweeter has broadly similar dispersion of the midBass as it approachs the XO point.

dave

I guess HF polarity and the order of the crossovers also have a play.
Think I red in one of the older coax thread that a 3rd order LF and second order HF with inverses polarity may give the best results as you will delay the LF with -90 deg by doing so giving the best time alignment while the 3 order controls breakup and beam better. Assuming the HF can go as low as 1,3kHz both from acoustic and electric/mechanic tolerance perspectives. I need a DSP and play more with the Beta 12 before buying the Celestion or Kappalites to see if I can live with the artifacts around the xo point. Hope to see the OP build soon though.

Last edited:
So is the Altec 604-8k the holy grail of coaxials? There's no modern day iterations or comparable?

I guess from a modern 'HIFI' POV it would be the 604-8H III, but the early 1 kHz XO with a real multicell would be mine and many collectors, so generally never see the light of day.

Not that I'm aware of.

Some of us tried to get Bill/GPA to add a large enough WG to use the optimal 1 kHz XO for blending to a 15" when retooling/upgrading, but didn't happen.

Otherwise, the 604E that I've the most experience with has been rebooted to 604E Series II, so my 'best of the rest'.

with the driver below, I think its large horn contributes to the 1K4 or so dip. That said, for $139.95 (originally $380) with compression driver at Loudspeakersplus, I'd give it a consideration. (assuming adequate driving power)

Attachments

• SN15-500CX.jpg
    SN15-500CX.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 272
There are different quality or density to plastic horns I guess but I wasn't necessarily talking about the horn itself only but the overall design of the complete driver - Ive just seen bad reviews of these new P.Audios and it looks not very rugged like they used to be from casket to magnets etc. But I really have no idea so why not try, its not so expensive.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
@fabric... I was talking about my experience using fullrange 8” drivers (Fostex 206e, Lowther dx3, Tang Band W8-1808) in Oris 200 front horns. The beaming I was referring to (perhaps incorrectly) was related to how small the stereo imaging sweet spot was and how easily it collapsed by just shifting my head a foot or so to the left or right. This may have more to do with directivity or perhaps the fact that my listening space is not big enough than any particular frequency “shouting” imbalance or the like. I did have a shelf filter implemented via my B5 crossover.

Relating to big coaxials...I had an opportunity this past week and I took it. I now own a pair of Tannoy System 15 DMT II.

Attachments

• 08665478-158D-454B-A647-84F96A616F76.jpg
    08665478-158D-454B-A647-84F96A616F76.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 172