Big coaxial box

Good plan, even at its recent huge price hike it's still a relative bargain considering they're hand crafted from new tooling and having owned 604E back when it came out, recommend the Super E is a fair price once AlNiCo's high price is factored in if driven with a SET tube amp for the HF, high end PP tube or class A/B with modest DF < ~80 for the woofer.

Beware buying used for too many reasons to elaborate as it's a 'minefield' of 'misunderstanding', especially on epay, FB [forum rules preclude me from being more truthful].

I have a feeling this might do what you need. It's the 604 8H with a helper woofer from CSS. It gives you just what you are describing as far as musical value. And, I agree with you, no matter how many things are 'wrong' about this set up, some of the so called 'better' speakers can't touch them.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 243
MDF/HDF (aka the most widely used speaker material) has no “direction”. It’s literally sawdust and glue.

Right, it's considered to have a homogeneous mixture [~uniform particle density same as the air molecules in a typical speaker box], so we're normally only interested in its [and other panel material's] MOE spec, with high psi numbers for the LF combined with bracing to raise the box's resonance ~ an octave above the XO point; otherwise it needs to be really massive to 'push' its resonance well below speaker's lower pass band.

For example: What MDF thickness is acceptable?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t even know any more...
Speaking of big coaxial translam speaker, could I get away with using no bracing but instead making the walls thick?
If not what’s the rule of thumb with translam speakers and bracing?

You would have to make walls considerably thicker. But varying the wal thicknesse might achiev emuch the same.Braces seen in most translams (as part of one of the slices, is more or less useless, proper bracing would require separate braces running perpendicualr to the translam layers.

dave

Right, it's considered to have a homogeneous mixture [~uniform particle density same as the air molecules in a typical speaker box], so we're normally only interested in its [and other panel material's] MOE spec, with high psi numbers for the LF combined with bracing to raise the box's resonance ~ an octave above the XO point; otherwise it needs to be really massive to 'push' its resonance well below speaker's lower pass band.

For example: What MDF thickness is acceptable?
Nice. Thanks for the link.
It always has been.

If you are one that does not realize it, you have been swayed by the superb work done by many marketing dept.

MDF’s only asset is that it is CHEAP (except to ship).

dave
Every material has its appropriate use. I bet you would have a hard time telling the difference between MDF and Plywood if both cabinets were properly built with a proper use of each material.
Also there are extreme differences in MDF/HDF quality.
For example MDF is used as a wasteboard on CNC routers but you need "the worst" quality of MDF for that in order to get a decent airflow and believe me its not easy to get a consistency in this department. Quality can vary between shipments and varies greatly between manufacturers.
You would have to make walls considerably thicker. But varying the wal thicknesse might achiev emuch the same.Braces seen in most translams (as part of one of the slices, is more or less useless, proper bracing would require separate braces running perpendicualr to the translam layers.

dave
I agree. Only difference the usual translam braces could do is if they were fixed to the baffle making it more stiff. But they wont prevent any delamination or anything.
Does 15" coax and 18" woofer qualify as big?

These are handmade Finnish Taipuu speakers, it's not a kit, but could serve as food for thoughts? Acoustic design by VituixMan kimmosto himself! If I remember right, coax is BMS, they use dsp and built-in amps.
These are real nice. Exactly my cup of tea. :cool:

Does 15" coax and 18" woofer qualify as big?

These are handmade Finnish Taipuu speakers, it's not a kit, but could serve as food for thoughts? Acoustic design by VituixMan kimmosto himself! If I remember right, coax is BMS, they use dsp and built-in amps.

Those are nice speakers. BMS 15C262 and BMS 18N862 paired with FourAudio 3-way active DSP plate amp.

Those would be nice in-wall or soffit mounted. :rolleyes:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
why suffer the issues of a large coax all it will do is play louder and go lower than a small one will.
I would rather suffer the issues of a large coax than a small one. All small coax I've heard sounded shouty and never quite right - in the end the were annoying. I exclude the auto sound coaxes with dome tweeter and minimal crossovers. But the small pro sound style coaxes have never convinced me.
YMMV

audition a well broken in Tannoy Revolution XT series DC with paper cones. I have both the XT6 and the smallest model the XT Mini. Note both will require a sub no surprises there. Of the the two models I prefer the XT Mini as it stages and images just a little bit better than the larger 6" version. These are exceptional loudspeakers once they burn in. Will they play loud enough to meet your needs? If the answer is yes you may be very surprised.

A bit under-damped for my tastes, but out away from walls it should be fine, though curious what specs you used now that I've loaded it in HR, so please post a screen shot of the WinISD driver's data.
Under damped? Shouldn't Qa=50 be fully lined cabinet and with Qa=25 I have some light stuffing inside?

Here. It's the same pre-made from loudspeakerdb like before but it checks out.

Attachments

• UntitledB.png
    UntitledB.png
    297.3 KB · Views: 217
I would rather suffer the issues of a large coax than a small one. All small coax I've heard sounded shouty and never quite right - in the end the were annoying. But the small pro sound style coaxes have never convinced me.
YMMV

These do not annoy me:) Since this measurement, +10kHz been knocked down 8db

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bb4.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 167
  • sica 6X.pdf
    461.2 KB · Views: 50