What can I do against 'box sound' ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A good loudspeaker doesn't "sound", It puts the music in the room, you couldn't even localize it in a proper stereo setup, no matter what technology is used.
What you call "open" is maybe the comb filter effect from an open baffle, that ripple really "sounds" but not transparent, rather phaser style.

I thought it was simply a room effect, i.e. OB’s sound different because of the rear radiation interacting with the room in a way most speakers do not. What we hear is the power balance not on-axis FR. Maybe try cmparing OB and boxed out in the garden ?

The rest of it I always assumed is poor implementation / box too small - short path length echoes inside box escaping back through thin cone or a port.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
A box with no parallel (internal) surfaces really helps; an Aperiodic vent can also help. This is addition to wall dampening, box stuffing, etc. If you have internal bracing; these should also be non-parallel to any inside surface. Not as easy to design or build but the results are well worth it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.