Jean Hiraga Altec A5 Crossover modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Should I move the microphone so it is the same distance from each driver and directly in front of the driver being measured....
Yes, keep it at the same distance. 1 meter away. (5 feet is an older standard that you could use).
That will give us an idea of the relative loudness of each section separately and own its own. Don't use any EQ or level changes. For the horn, start your sweep at 300Hz in REW. Check by playing on the woofer section that it really is starting at 300Hz! Protect your compression driver. If in doubt start with very low volume levels.

This is the LF and HF together in one sweep....

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-19 172526 (2).png
    Annotation 2020-07-19 172526 (2).png
    111.3 KB · Views: 210
Yes, keep it at the same distance. 1 meter away. (5 feet is an older standard that you could use).
That will give us an idea of the relative loudness of each section separately and own its own. Don't use any EQ or level changes. For the horn, start your sweep at 300Hz in REW. Check by playing on the woofer section that it really is starting at 300Hz! Protect your compression driver. If in doubt start with very low volume levels.

I did the measurements through the crossover. Should I do them with the drivers on their own?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry, for some reason I didn't see your posted measurements when I wrote my last post.
Those are helpful, but doing them without the crossover would be even better.

In REW you can turn off the Mic calibration plot, we don't need to see it now. Also try 1/6th octave smoothing. The bass is pretty hot, that's for sure!

Pano: I read your last message after I finished, but I will post the two FRD files in a little while. This is the combination of the two drivers with 1/6th smoothing, with each driver measured separately in its respective horn, and without the crossover.

Attachments

• traces.png
    traces.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 204
Looking at the sensitivity of your compression driver R-H SSD-1800 + 511B horn, it should be padded down (-3dB) to meet your bass horns output. Something is amiss with the device or implementation.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    143.5 KB · Views: 189
  • SSD1800_data.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the graphs tizman. Well plotted. :up: As suspected, your bass bin has a big hump in the middle. It doesn't go very high or very low, actually. You have placed the cross-hair marker right where the bass hump is. The 511 is looking pretty good. I agree with Glyph that it should be a bit louder, but at least its shape is good.

With responses like that you will need to resort to EQ on the woofer, at least. That could be tricky in passive EQ, but we can figure it out. Basically you want to flatten the bass response centered on the 250Hz hump. Is it an 8 ohm woofer?

It looks like you don't have much wiggle room for your crossover as there isn't much overlap between the section. And you may be happy with the falling response of the horn, but flattening the droop is likely going to be needed.

Unfortunately it looks like you've gone down the wrong path. This published crossover is not at all suited to your speaker. You'll do best to start from scratch. Sorry for the bad news.

Since I was there for the original Hiraga A5 speaker and crossover (I used them for gigs) I know how they can sound. When I built my own A5 and tried to use the published crossover it was not at all satisfactory. I had to start from scratch. The A7-500 crossover was different from that, and the A7-800 a little different still.

:wave: Yep ! + 1 ,
I did too , and finally went back to genuine A5 Xover ...

Basically you want to flatten the bass response centered on the 250Hz hump.

It looks like you don't have much wiggle room for your crossover as there isn't much overlap between the section. And you may be happy with the falling response of the horn, but flattening the droop is likely going to be needed.

Acoustic solutions to acoustic problems!

Seal off the vent and gap the driver as required to both unload the horn into just a WG and tune the cab.

All these type woofer horn combos need HF CD horn EQ [RLC network] to replace the matching impedance DF = 1 SET amps with variable DF tone controls used to 'voice' the originals. Once done right and dialed into the room to 'flat' from whatever cab tuning chosen to ~12.5 kHz, a stereo system should be ~99 dB/W/m eff., so outboard EQ will be required for top end 'air', the few instruments with extreme 'pierce'.

GM

Doing it acoustically would certainly be best. Having a look at the Kappa datasheets, the measured response is not too surprising. If the bass cabinet and woofer can be better tuned, that's the road to follow. :up:

I’m not sure how I would tune the FH-1 cabinet other than doing so through the crossover. At this point, using the Riggle version of the the Hiraga schematic, which adds a L-Pad at the output, the L-Pad has no function. I could try rewiring the L-Pad so that it is at the output of the LF section instead, or leave it there and add a fixed L-Pad to bring down the output of the lLF section. Using the existing Hiraga crossover that I have, I tried bypassing the 12 Ohm resistor in the HF shaping LCR filter, and it increased the overall HF output by about 3DB. For clarity, I use SET amps mostly, and the last combined measurement of the raw drivers was done with one.

"The amp I am currently using is a single ended EL84 triode connected amp"

The woofer you are using is a popular replacement for the Black Widow. I am wondering if the Kappa 15C is new, if so it needs breaking in. A small tube amp will not do this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 290-459--eminence-kappa-15c-spec-sheet.pdf
    531.3 KB · Views: 39
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.