Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide

I am looking at the data a little more carefully from the RST28 and WG300. Despite having a very good step response, the phase measurement appears to just rise and not have a 55deg bump like a true Harsch XO. Whether or not this makes an audible difference vs the RS28F, I am not sure. I do want to let folks know about this and so they can choose their tweeter accordingly. The RS28F will measure better according to my data.

Here is measured phase for the RST28F-4 in the WG300 integrated with the PTT6.5:

XRK, keep in mind that phase response is affected by absolute delay, it depends on where you define the reference plane to be. The effect on the graph is dramatically stronger as you go higher in frequency. It's like sitting a half inch or so closer or further from the speaker, totally fair. If you "remove" some overall delay from that measurement (see the Tune menu for the Power Amp in Xsim, or the "delay" control in OmniMic, or similar viewing adjustment in other programs) you can bring the curve down to 0degrees or any other value. Bring it to zero in the highest octave and your rise will become a bump.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Bwaslo,
Thanks for pointing that out - so that means that the new RST28F is probably fine from the standpoint of a 55deg Harsch rise bump. Although very top octave from 15kHz on up seems to be falling and not rising like the RS28F.

I was able to get the predicted phase to unwrap and have the 55deg bump by adding a -1.12in delay to the "Amplifier":
attachment.php

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I might have some time to make the Pathfinder for this TL using honeycomb cardboard panels. About 1/2in thick so perfect for this. Will use combination of Titebond glue and tack in place with hotmelt.

847739d1590528822-simple-passive-harsch-xo-using-ptt6-5-rs28f-waveguide-ptt6-5-tl-assembly-v01-plans-jpg

First thing to do is cut a long uniform strip of 7in wide parallel boards to use for the internal walls.

Long metal straight edge yardstick and sharp utility knife should do the trick.

I know for certain that a couple people over on HTGuide ordered and received units from Madisound, probably 6-ish weeks ago. So, they existed at one point. I wonder whether there was an initial sample run from which Jeff B got some to complete the Helios design and Madisound had the remainder of that run, but there is now a glitch in ramping up production.

Edit: preliminary measurements here: Driver Evaluations for a new project - Page 9

Last edited: