Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Joined 2005
Paid Member
since every one of those are mastering monitors

Advertised as, but from what I gathered mostly sold to audiophiles. There's a market for things like big JBL speakers and McIntosh amplifiers in Japan.

All the studios I've visited actually have so many relics of yester-year and crap speakers. Where are all the so called professional JBL, ATCs and PMCs and Quested and B&W and Dynaudio Acoustics, I asked?

It's clearly the artist making the music and not the speakers.

.... I would be more interested in the Scientific sound quality aspects, not so much human preference.... if one speaker model was truer to the source and the other one was "the group fav "....I'd go for the former.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jbl_m2/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/march_audio_sointuva/

Reference: Erin's Audio Corner. That little 1/2 cu foot Sointuva looks and measures pretty darn good. An 8" Alu update would be doable. I wonder if Alan is working on it...

.... I would be more interested in the Scientific sound quality aspects, not so much human preference.... if one speaker model was truer to the source and the other one was "the group fav "....I'd go for the former.
So the very people and companies that literally wrote the book on correlating "scientific sq aspects" with listener preference doesn't interest you because...you want more "scientific sq aspects" and less human preference?

Reactions: 1 user
the balance of indirect and direct energy to the listener, in the room changes, by ways of the size of the Radiation Mass and Directivity, in favor of the Larger woofer. Spl at the listeners ear will be an accumulation of Direct and Indirect energy, Lessening the size of the radiation mass, will increase the proportions indirect energy, thus lessening Sound Quality.

What scientific work are you basing these claims on? I've seen nothing that would support these statements as a being a general rule of any kind.

Its silly debate, any woofer is part of a system and is there for reason, to make the system work. When the system is made for some particular application the other cannot substitute the other, I mean if its small two way speaker 15" is out of question. Case is there only if system size is not constrained but even then choice for driver brand make and model comes about the last thing after the concept is finished and then it makes sense to use best available driver for the budget, what ever that is.

Now, if system demands 15" and it is for home application it is not going to be pushed to limits and the driver doesn't have to be top shelf to perform well. On the other hand if the woofer is small, especially on a two way system, the woofer needs to be exceptional for best performance. This is the market for business that wants to make exceptional drivers, small speakers. I know no other person on my town who has anything bigger than bluetooth speakers, let alone 15" woofers... I do though :)

However, observing DIY forum its weird to see people sometimes run after trends and businesses and make speakers with some particular make and model for no good apparent reason. I mean, buy best drivers and then figure out what to do with them when I see much better end results could be available the other way around, design tailor fit to application with ideal drivers and then buy best drivers that meet the design criteria and budget. Could end up with same system though, or one with 15" woofer.

Well, its just a hobby so what ever makes fun time is good so, not sure why there is debate anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Neat.

I guess I must have misunderstood....based on.....

I'd have to go through my thread and find some instances of people stating their favor for a 15" mid woofer...the system I designed was based around max sound quality, no cost
I do agree there are some impressive commercial products that use a 15" midwoofer. Maybe Purifi will make one someday if there's demand.
What scientific work are you basing these claims on? I've seen nothing that would support these statements as a being a general rule of any kind.
Impulse response would be a start...neutral FR, Decay, GD, Phase etc...

I want a speaker that stays faithful to the source... not one that "sounds good" to a group of people over another....
last thing after the concept is finished and then it makes sense to use best available driver for the budget, what ever that is.

Now, if system demands 15" and it is for home application it is not going to be pushed to limits and the driver doesn't have to be top shelf to perform well. On the other hand if the woofer is small, especially on a two way system, the woofer needs to be exceptional for best performance.
Exactly... and if max sound quality is the goal, then you use the highest driver size practical. Which is proved by your point about its harder to get high performance out of the small driver but relatively easy from the 15"... home and studio application alike.

I'd have to go through my thread and find some instances of people stating their favor for a 15" mid woofer...the system I designed was based around max sound quality, no cost

Impulse response would be a start...neutral FR, Decay, GD, Phase etc...

I want a speaker that stays faithful to the source... not one that "sounds good" to a group of people over another....

Exactly... and if max sound quality is the goal, then you use the highest driver size practical. Which is proved by your point about its harder to get high performance out of the small driver but relatively easy from the 15"... home and studio application alike.
can you pleasy stop that 15" off topic rant ??
Ps no ones want a horn system at home

Last edited:
can you pleasy stop that 15" off topic rant ??
Ps no ones want a horn system at home
Its not off topic, sort of a side note...
Ps if you really believe no one wants a waveguide/horn system at home you are crazy lol... a large group of experts on this forum and elsewhere, spend most of their time developing/advancing them.... 15" + waveguide or horn 2way is an Apex design.... I just posted the flagship models of several different major manufacturers including JBL and Meyer lol.... did you not see the trend? 15" mid woofer+horn/waveguide.... what's special about DIY is that you can build such a speaker and pay only a fraction of the price that it cost to get this type of sound quality in real life.

A 15" will be one of, if not, Purifi's top performing midrange... like it or not...excursion only increases distortion. The more direct energy you can supply the listener vs indirect, SQ goes up. A larger woofer can produce more direct energy and directivity with lesser excursion and power. There is a special place for cardioid as well... and horns and waveguides...

Last edited:
18” will do fine 😌
That combination then would look like this (dipole in this case):

Dipol4.jpg

Should we ask for a 18" Purifi woofer as well?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Just one person mentioned Aesthetics lol...

I am interested to see a high efficiency woofer from Purifi...

The question is, will the driver be able to compete with the competition of woofers available in this size (15"), as a domestic/studio midrange where excursion might remain under 1-2mm.

I think the benefit will be seen in a large 2 way where the woofer deals with midrange and subwoofer

But until they release such a driver, it seems they are only dealing with the extreme sport of squeezing higher SQ out of small inefficient drivers that equates to less SQ of the larger drivers.

Last time I made such a statement, I was met with thd measurements of a Purifi driver, slightly lower than that of a slightly larger competitors, random driver...

Not the whole picture.... definitely SPL and frequency dependent, but its something I guess.....

The sensitivity is main reason of huge sized mid woofer with less bass-extension. +Massive horns <- sensitivity!

But nowdays, Power from the AMP it self is really high, so there is plenty of headroom(Ex. 1ET400A, 1ET7040SA & 1ET9040BA), so concept should move to sacrifice sensitivity and get Lower frequencies and compact sizes with long Xmax and low distortion.

IMHO, Low-sensitivity-high-clarity drivers and cover the sensitivity up with high-clarity-high-power AMP with compact size is core idea of Purifi.

The real problem is to Make sealed box with maximum optimised group delays with simplicity(for heavy DIYers) or to Get more SPL, yet reasonably compact size with Passive radiators(most of DIYers and manufacturers).

Last edited:
BTW, here's

20221025_103343.jpg

My Sointuva WG (Red, high glossy) and P422 Purifi 1ET400A based power amplifier with my friend's one(Blue, matt)

Both made with Solid Wandoo wood cabinet.

I should say, the Paint job is absolutely stunning!

I'll review the sound and details as soon as possible(due to my schedule, roughly December or shorter).

And I'll check Purifi 1ET7040SA based Amplifier too!

The sensitivity is main reason of huge sized mid woofer with less bass-extension. +Massive horns <- sensitivity!
While it is for some, big woofer and accompanying waveguide is easy way to get high directivity to low frequency. Sensitivity is just side effect, effectively distortion free system for free. High directivity is something small physical construct cannot do and in my opinion about only reason why make such big system for home. Some increased directivity is possible with relatively small form factor with cardioid woofer and waveguide, but its not as high as with just going bigger woofer. Could benefit good woofer.