Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Well in theory you might get a tiny suck out/dip in the response of axis as the wall act as a helmholtz resonator absorbing around the tuning due to the tiny holes and the volume of air behind the holes.

But in reality.. probably not a problem.

Edit: the access to the paper I was trying to add was restricted but can be found here: https://researchrepository.rmit.edu...h&vid=61RMIT_INST:ResearchRepository&offset=0

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think I will try to print and compare to the one I printed in one piece. And I will try to CNC the front part in one piece from XPS with 3D printed bottom since I finally got some MDF for a new spoil board. The flat back would be very easy to CNC in 3D with a ball mill. Thanks for the STEP file by the way, it is very nice to experiment with different manufacturing methods on this smaller scale first.

You can add texture in Blender. Example for BR port.

Attachments

• rurka struktura.jpg
    rurka struktura.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG20210723094902.jpg
    IMG20210723094902.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 476
So what happens with the performance of the waveguide if the walls are actually microperforated?

Just curious.

These kinds of things are difficult to do theoretically. The only real option is through testing, but this can also be problematic.

For example, fill a waveguide with foam and guess the wrong density and it is a disaster. Test a range of densities and you can find one that works well.

In your situation it might be difficult to control the porosity of the boundary and this may a very large effect. Some may work well others not so much.

ST260 kit. Anyone willing to try the concept?

Yes, I'll certainly give it a try!

Hot off the printer, PLA 6 hours - first try fun.

Tiny bit of warping that I'll implement a minor change to try to overcome......

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 161
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 182
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 179
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 164
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 182
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 367
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 382
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 384
Could it be that the edge lacks the stripes / fill?
I guess one could easily print the petal without the bottom side completely. Then just pour some liquid. You could even leave the brim temporarily (the adhesion supporting layer around the wall) to easily level/trim the filling. The wall itself can be made as thick/strong as necessary.

Those with better printers can print as many petals at once as their printer accommodates. I do it one by one. Maybe I could try more. One petal for ST260 should take around 50 minutes.

Attachments

• petal-top.png
    petal-top.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 103
  • petal-bottom.PNG
    petal-bottom.PNG
    344.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: