Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

To have some fun and to encourage people to actually try a free standing waveguide, I decided to release my first "serious" design of this type (was already measured here some time ago with several drivers).

It is called ST260 (ST = Small Teaser), cca ⌀260 mm x 83 mm.
Throat entry angle is 19° and should work well with majority of 1" drivers.

STEP and STL files of the ready-to-print waveguide available: https://at-horns.eu/release/ST260.zip

Have fun and give us a feedback! :)

Attachments

• ST260-front-0.PNG
    ST260-front-0.PNG
    585.2 KB · Views: 655
  • ST260-back.PNG
    ST260-back.PNG
    304.4 KB · Views: 637
To have some fun and to encourage people to actually try a free standing waveguide, I decided to release my first "serious" design of this type (was already measured here some time ago with several drivers).

It is called ST260 (ST = Small Teaser), cca ⌀260 mm x 83 mm.
Throat entry angle is 19° and should work well with majority of 1" drivers.

Have fun and give us a feedback! :)

WOW thanks for all the awesome work, ATH and ST260 gift :cheers:
Perfect timing, just got my first creality printer I can try this with.

Would this Small Teaser work with TAD2001?
I believe it has a very narrow 3.6degree throat angle.

JMLC horns represent smooth termination of an exponential horn into free air. That's fine.

Actually, JMLC's method was based on entirely different assumptions.

This is what he said about Salmon type of horns:

"One more time I have to say: Webster’s equation is a differential equation and describe what happens inside an “infinitesimal volume = at the microscopic scale, not at the macroscopic scale. The plane wave hypothesis at that infinitesimal scale is valid but cannot be translated at the macroscopical scale = on the whole horn. Horns calculated with a (planar) cross sectional evolution following exponential law, hypex law or every kind of law belonging to the hyperbolic family are a mistake! At the macroscopical scale it is the area of equipressure and equiphase surfaces propagating inside the horn that should follow the expansion law solution of Webster’s equation. (Theoricaly within a perfect horn equipressures surfaces should be also equiphase surfaces)."

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just got the word from Jack Elliano that Dr. Bruce Edgar has passed away. A true giant in horn design, and a real gentleman. R.I. P. Dr. Bruce !!

Joe
I've started a thread here - RIP Dr Bruce Edgar

If you wish to do the honour of posting a little more, I'll move your post to the top of the thread (where you can edit it as needed)

Would this Small Teaser work with TAD2001?
I believe it has a very narrow 3.6degree throat angle.
You could try it, the polars are still good, but be carefull about EQ as it will probably tend to ring horrendously on several frequencies (and this could be corrected if done right). Matching the entry angle would not change much in this case, I've just tried that.

Below is a simulation of ST260 with the TAD2001 throat added.
You would probably need something like a JMLC horn for this kind of driver :) (I could do it with OS-SE but it would beam terribly.)

Attachments

• ST260_TAD2001_profile.png
    ST260_TAD2001_profile.png
    7 KB · Views: 417
  • ST260_TAD2001_raw.png
    ST260_TAD2001_raw.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 415
  • ST260_TAD2001.png
    ST260_TAD2001.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 409
Last edited: