Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Bass is slow by definition and 'shortness of a bass impulse' or 'bass transient' as in the Manger example is simply a misnomer.

If the initial impulse, or positive pressure, (and stop) needs to be fast it follows that a wide bandwidth system needs to be deployed to replicate the input signal (the composite sound of drivers and filters).

But, bass content is always slow and the lower the frequency the longer it will take to complete the signal as frequency decreases.

A lot of people will feel that systems that are boosted in the upper bass sound 'faster' and smallish closed subs (despite their technical disadvantages such as cone excursion, distorsion etc) are generally preferred for 'tighter bass' for this very reason.
A system that reaches very deep in the bass will never sound the 'fastest' or 'tightest' because physics will dictate that it's not.

Last edited:
Slow is a relative term. Compare bass performance of one system to that of another...
Semi trucks are still slow yet they have there own arena for racing competition....no ones racing Semi trucks against formula one cars because...that doesn't make sense....just like saying that bass is slow compared to treble, and believing that makes bass, as a transient, not a transient.
Originally Posted by gedlee
Unfortunately that is not the definition of a transient. It is the fact that people use this term wrong - in context - that makes for so much disagreement.

A transient is just something that occurs and then goes away. In physics it is the part of the response signal that dampens out leaving only the steady-state.

What you are implying in your post is true. Bass frequencies have such long and low "transients" that they are hardly detectable and that what people think of as transients are the signals attack/rise time, which is the combination of all frequencies, but is subjectively dominated by HFs.

Perhaps you should consider the title of your thread, and that people are not interested in your social engineering.

Perhaps? Did you not that think that the thread title was one of the most important aspects of social engineering on a text based forum lol. The rest of your comment makes no sense...The thread is full of Gems from the smartest people on the Forum, via discussions that were inspired by myself.

No. The closest thing to a carrier in sound is air. In audio engineering, a tape bias frequency or sampling rate would be close.

You missed some more things it seems.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It appears a carrier wave is not expected to be the fundamental but, it can be the fundamental...

"One concern we have in using a given C:M ratio is whether the carrier frequency is the lowest frequency in the spectrum, i.e. is it the fundamental? If it is, we can treat the carrier frequency as the principal pitch that will be heard in the resulting timbre."

Attachments

• Carrier wave.jpg
    Carrier wave.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 397
  • fundamental.jpg
    fundamental.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 392
I'm not sure what this question is asking.

See it's catching on :)

"Knowledge creation
Knowledge creation refers to the continuous combination, transfer, and conversion of different kinds of knowledge. This occurs as users interact, practice and learn. ... Knowledge creation is the formation of new notions and concepts. This occurs through interactions between explicit and tacit knowledge in people's minds."

"Creativity is the highest form of intelligence because it goes beyond knowledge recall and extends into knowledge creation. ... Creativity, spontaneity, and problem-solving (often an innovation trigger) are in the upper most triangle of Maslow's hierarchy of needs."

You made comment about how the 3 audio files you created with different timbral profiles represented a distortion that was low in priority on your list....
I simply disagreed to its lack of importance....one of those files about caused physical pain and this is just one frequency imagine the distortion spread across the whole midrange....Must be my musician ears that are super sensitive to distortions...I'd be highly dissatisfied. Luckily those are extreme representations, maybe thats why you say they're priority is low.

"Knowledge creation
Knowledge creation refers to the continuous combination, transfer, and conversion of different kinds of knowledge. This occurs as users interact, practice and learn. ... Knowledge creation is the formation of new notions and concepts. This occurs through interactions between explicit and tacit knowledge in people's minds."

"Creativity is the highest form of intelligence because it goes beyond knowledge recall and extends into knowledge creation. ... Creativity, spontaneity, and problem-solving (often an innovation trigger) are in the upper most triangle of Maslow's hierarchy of needs."
It’s back in 2002 or 3 i think, when I rest something like this. Nonaka? Very inspirational writer.

Had no idea you had taken over ownership of the forum..

Camplo started this thread and as such I do think that he has some rights. If someone does not like the way the thread is going then they simply should not come to it.

Camplo gets a lot (and I mean a lot) wrong, but I still think that he deserves respect for trying to understand. His technique of spreading confusion does serve to lead people into this thread and it behooves us all to try and clear up the confusion. But showing respect is expected at each and every turn.

Camplo started this thread and as such I do think that he has some rights. If someone does not like the way the thread is going then they simply should not come to it.

Camplo gets a lot (and I mean a lot) wrong, but I still think that he deserves respect for trying to understand. His technique of spreading confusion does serve to lead people into this thread and it behooves us all to try and clear up the confusion. But showing respect is expected at each and every turn.

Purposeful spread of confusion is the Hallmark card of evil - When you care to send the very worst. It deserves nothing but disrespect.

OPing a thread in a public forum has more responsibilities than rights. This thread has ceased to function.

Nothing you say rings true....I've got several hundred pages of evidence. Nothing to prove either. We are trying to have interesting discussion....your points aren't relevant.

Myself and others, know more about Group Delay than we have in a long time...there are points made here that I cannot find any where else on the internet in such an arena, For example...