Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

If a transient is not an abrupt or sudden change in time and amplitude with a defined rise time and slope the word becomes meaningless in the way we use it regularly.

Unfortunately that is not the definition of a transient. It is the fact that people use this term wrong - in context - that makes for so much disagreement.

A transient is just something that occurs and then goes away. In physics it is the part of the response signal that dampens out leaving only the steady-state.

What you are implying in your post is true. Bass frequencies have such long and low "transients" that they are hardly detectable and that what people think of as transients are the signals attack/rise time, which is the combination of all frequencies, but is subjectively dominated by HFs.

Is it? I thought "a transient response is the response of a system to a change from an equilibrium or a steady state. The transient response is not necessarily tied to abrupt events but to any event that affects the equilibrium of the system." was pretty straight forward.... Maybe look up the word Equilibrium.

Unfortunately that is not the definition of a transient. It is the fact that people use this term wrong - in context - that makes for so much disagreement......What you are implying in your post is true. Bass frequencies have such long and low "transients" that they are hardly detectable and that what people think of as transients are the signals attack/rise time, which is the combination of all frequencies, but is subjectively dominated by HFs.
I literally just said that...
Basically, transient as an event. That event can be looked at as a complex expression as a whole or it can be looked at, per frequency.
Im fine, my definition is accurate. The misnomer is the use of the word transient to describe instrumental playback events where the leading edge of the event is called the transient or only burst signal like events (snare drums, high hats, guitar plucks, etc) are referred to. In actuality a "start up transient" exist at the beginning of the event at every frequency involved.

I literally just said that...
What was in your head and what came out into words were confusing, you removed or edited the post that sparked it off but these remain

camplo said:
a transient response is the response of a system to a change from an equilibrium or a steady state. The transient response is not necessarily tied to abrupt events but to any event that affects the equilibrium of the system.

Good start

This ideal time/amplitude you are looking for is frequency specific...the statement above agrees that a transient is an abrupt/sudden change.

Backflip or mistake

An immediate arrival of a note/frequency....literally any one of them. It needs to be an abrupt change from whats already happening.
Contradictory

In reality your "definition" was closer to right than usual, which is why I asked you a question to try and clarify it. Without high frequencies no change will be abrupt but that doesn't stop it being transient.

What are you pointing at here? These are specifically for transducer testing. The largest one that the manufacturer make still isn’t close to large enough to do a horn that loads down to 300 Hz.

If you’re trying to say that anechoic chambers aren’t needed that isn’t strictly true. They have purposes far beyond speaker design. In fact, the one I’ve spent most time working in makes a tiny percentage of its cash earnings from speakers. Single digits, even.

Either way, anechoic measurements are still the goal *for the purposes of design*. There are several ways to get there depending on the goal, budget, equipment and time available. The Klippel Near Field Scanner is more versatile and much less expensive than even a hemi-anechoic. A field is cheaper than both, and more readily available. Just watch out for wind. And traffic. And birds. And rain...

I'll comment on the "DIY balloon" stuff using interpolation from the last page, when I'm back at my PC :) it's not a simple subject!

Abrupt is relative to frequency, in the same way burst decay is normalized....I guess you are looking to the point that it doesn't have to be abrupt...I accept that but it would seem that the effects of distortions effecting transient startup would be lessen with a longer attack envelope...
What sparked this conversation was the lack of knowledge to recognize what a transient can be

To further my point of the relative nature of "abrupt".....it is not there....then it is....off to on is an extreme polar opposite...abrupt

Last edited:
You can't use a term that has an ordinary definition of short, sharp, quick etc. and apply it to low frequencies. They can be none of those things due to the time periods of the frequencies involved.

Transient also has an ordinary meaning, temporary, short lived etc. Something that does not stay the same.

The distortion of the attack envelope as you put it is the argument for linear phase, zero group delay, infinite bandwidth. In that case what goes in is what comes out.

As the audio samples I made earlier showed, the attack envelope can be completely mangled and yet it does not have anywhere near the effect on the sound that the visual of the waveform would suggest it does. I'm not saying that it isn't audible or desirable to avoid but it ranks quite low in the scale of audible defects a speaker can have.

My analogy of off to on being an "abrupt" change is the epitome of the reason why a transient event can be as vast as we just discovered. Also the musical use of the words help to keep ambiguity alive....we had the same issue with F/Cutoff...

I started that convo as well ;)

The distortion of the attack envelope as you put it is the argument for linear phase, zero group delay, infinite bandwidth. In that case what goes in is what comes out.
Agreed 100%

I started that convo as well ;)
I've made my own definition up. It is to camplo something. It's similar to mark's University course outline but I was able to distill it down.

What you do is to use a term that has a defined meaning (to most people with some knowledge in audio) take it out of context, apply it to another already defined problem and generate a huge amount of discussion only to come back full circle and say that is what you meant from the start ;)

As much as camploing grates on me, during all of the discussion a lot of useful information and excellent descriptions come out from other participants.

Fluid - I'll stick to more grounded material, but thanks =)
I've made my own definition up.
- feel free to use the dictionary to find more "camplo" terminology lol I like how Gedlee is very technical as well. Its evidenced that he hasn't just memorized the information, he actually understands it.

Unfortunately that is not the definition of a transient. It is the fact that people use this term wrong - in context - that makes for so much disagreement.

A transient is just something that occurs and then goes away. In physics it is the part of the response signal that dampens out leaving only the steady-state.

What you are implying in your post is true. Bass frequencies have such long and low "transients" that they are hardly detectable and that what people think of as transients are the signals attack/rise time, which is the combination of all frequencies, but is subjectively dominated by HFs.

This was the other time, Gedlee was able to translate my, dictionary derived terminology, and dynamic philosophical constructs that seems to elude others....
What I think that you are talking about is the startup transient in the pulse - the part of the system response that decays with time. Followed by the steady-state response (whose definition is self explanatory.)...

Eludes others but never seems to elude the ones that count the most...thats important...its a connection lol

Last edited:
I like how Gedlee is very technical as well. Its evidenced that he hasn't just memorized the information, he actually understands it.
Indeed Earl is a true great

This was the other time, Gedlee was able to translate my, dictionary derived terminology, and dynamic philosophical constructs that seems to elude others....
You are very fortunate that someone like Earl takes the time to try and interpret your philosophical constructs

- Something I have been purposely social engineering over the 2.5 years.
I hope it wasn't meant to be a secret, there must be a term missing from your algorithm though because it only works in this thread and not the other ones you have created. The line between genius and madness is quite thin sometimes :)

Agreed to all points...This thread represents a very important aspect of Sound Design....Several of my other threads here are pivotal, to me, but not so much to everyone else...though the topic of most of those other threads can be found discussed here....If I say I didn't have some of the largest and most controversial threads on other forums and fb groups...that would be a lie. This ain't my first rodeo, truly I am just a Muse...You and the people of this Forum are what make this thread special and as informative as it is...I am just glad that you all entertain my "madness" and allow the genius to shine through, which is the detailed information that I try to inspire. Because my intentions are pure; basically the pursuit of grave understanding, even for those of us who are less technically or mathematically inclined, via the excellent discussion that can be found through out this thread.

As the audio samples I made earlier showed, the attack envelope can be completely mangled and yet it does not have anywhere near the effect on the sound that the visual of the waveform would suggest it does. I'm not saying that it isn't audible or desirable to avoid but it ranks quite low in the scale of audible defects a speaker can have.
Does it really though?

Camplo, if you scroll down to the bottom right corner you can se a really neat animation of this, says it all really:

Square wave - Wikipedia

What's interesting is that, the harmonic character can be dynamic over multiple cycles. As per our discussion earlier on Group Delay, the amplitude envelope/domain of the carrier wave/fundamental, can be distorted as well, something not highlighted in the wiki example you referred to.