Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2019, 06:37 AM   #4231
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I was thinking, if I printed it, I could make it hollow, cut into layers and the layuers into segments, print those out, assemble them, and then fill them with sand as well. Seems that 3d printing has its own challenges main...warping?

Docali, who are you thanking? My thanks goes out to you for sharing though. Sounds like the files sent are not the ones to use because of artifacts?
I never calculated such large profiles before, so the point cloud is not optimal. I could adjust some settings to get a better point cloud. Especially with higher Lame exponents for the squared profiles it is a challenge to fill the outer extremes with points and not to overload other regions.

Before you think about building such a horn you should mention your favored shape of the shown versions. Then I would suggest a proof of concept by simulation like this:

DrBA Calculator and BEM Simulation – Sphericalhorns

We could ask Don if he prepares the ABEC project files.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #4232
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docali View Post
The tractrix profile was never intended for horns while the spherical wave horn was.
This is a good point, I'm reasonably convinced tractrix works by its uncanny similarity to a LeCleach with a low T factor and an incomplete roundover. Hence I deprecate tractrix.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:08 AM   #4233
diyAudio Member

I would not rate the tractrix that hard as you

I had some funny mathematical exercise here and proposed a variation:

A True Expansion Tractrix Horn – Sphericalhorns

As i own a traxtric 400Hz horn I would not say that it sounds bad. But it has some characteristics I cannot accept over a long time.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:14 AM   #4234
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Perhaps jzagaja can provide some support in this regard.
I'm setting up production out of wood, rectangular. Lot of request for Sato 100Hz and 200Hz. below is JMLC-100 T0 bent like Sato. It's 1 meter mouth horn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JMLC-100-sato.jpg (56.0 KB, 289 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 08:54 AM   #4235
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had some funny mathematical exercise here and proposed a variation:
This is very good. For a long time I wondered whether anyone would do this. I thought I could see where this is going, so I did a quick comparison of tractrix and LeCleach, to compare to your profiles.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (33.4 KB, 273 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 01:52 PM   #4236
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I never calculated such large profiles before, so the point cloud is not optimal. I could adjust some settings to get a better point cloud. Especially with higher Lame exponents for the squared profiles it is a challenge to fill the outer extremes with points and not to overload other regions.

Before you think about building such a horn you should mention your favored shape of the shown versions. Then I would suggest a proof of concept by simulation like this:

DrBA Calculator and BEM Simulation – Sphericalhorns

We could ask Don if he prepares the ABEC project files.
I am ok with the spherical and the non progressive T. Better loading means lower group delay and less excursion which in turn means better resolution. Its flare is less, like the Tractrix as opposed to the JMLC, so loading freq vs resulting Fc is more efficient as well. I am trying to take full advantage of my size constraints so maybe you can lower the T in order to reach a horn that is 36" (914mm) long and near 31" (787mm) wide?
Old 12th November 2019, 05:09 PM   #4237
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
I'm setting up production out of wood, rectangular. Lot of request for Sato 100Hz and 200Hz. below is JMLC-100 T0 bent like Sato. It's 1 meter mouth horn.
I seen your listing on the internet. Can you explain what this type of horn is used for and why the other horns are not commonly found in these sizes? I know that this horn is made for a driver like the axi2050 but then why are so many people under the belief that no one wants to cross a horn so low? Obviously there's a market for it with the Sato style horn. Also, what are the short comings of bending the signal path? I assume there must be some type of drawback.
In the listing I see these are coming out of Germany. The shipping from Germany seems to be always cheaper vs the shipping from Poland, maybe this is the route for me....maybe.

Last edited by camplo; 12th November 2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:45 PM   #4238
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The drawback of the bend/spiral is attenuation of the higher frequencies.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:04 PM   #4239
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The drawback of the bend/spiral is attenuation of the higher frequencies.
An additional drawback is that higher frequencies need longer to travel through snail honrs because of more reflections if the wave length becomes small compared to the section wise diameter.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:07 PM   #4240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I am ok with the spherical and the non progressive T. Better loading means lower group delay and less excursion which in turn means better resolution. Its flare is less, like the Tractrix as opposed to the JMLC, so loading freq vs resulting Fc is more efficient as well. I am trying to take full advantage of my size constraints so maybe you can lower the T in order to reach a horn that is 36" (914mm) long and near 31" (787mm) wide?
You guy seem to be a little bit positively crazy
What you intend is something I would recall as trumpets of Jericho. But it has been written down it should happen so:

swh_160_t071_jericho.zip

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!